• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine tasting classes-worth the $$$?

oystergal

Inspired by bondgirl's quest for wine knowledge, I'd like to get some advice from folks here about whether it's worth going beyond the books and casual tastings and lay out the money for a class.

I've got and read what I could of Wine for Dummies and the Wine Atlas, attended many tastings at wineries across the US, and try to educate myself about wine whenever I can.

That said, I'm a victim of "the more I know, the more I feel I have to learn."

I'm contemplating a career change that would put in in the wine biz, and I'm wondering if completing a wine class in NYC would beneficial in getting my foot in the door. Specifically, I'm looking at the intermediate certificate course at the International Wine Center. http://www.learnwine.com/

Any and all advice appreciated!

Any activity that gives you the opportunity to taste, especially in an controlled, analytical manner, is a good thing. "The more you taste, the more you taste." (Wish I could remember who said that.)

And the WSET courses are more than just wine-tasting classes. They force you to learn about how wine is made, classified and sold. If you attend the classes on site, you get opportunities to network. And you receive a diploma, a form of official recognition, which vouches for your seriousness and may impress prospective employers. Not having taken the courses, I can't pass judgement on their ultimate worth other than to say that they are hard work and that the few in-the-business people I know who've gone through the process haven't regretted it.

That said, in my experience, most people in the business didn't get in it by taking courses, though they may take courses once ITB.

What kind of wine biz career do you envision for yourself? Production? Marketing? Wholesale sales? Retail sales? Journalism? Advising? Sommelier?

Most of my wine knowledge is self-taught, but I would see some advantage to taking a class. The hardest thing to pick up on your own (IMHO) is tasting, particularly knowing how to taste isolated flavors in the wine (i.e. smoke, toast, vanilla, black fruits, etc.)

While I have not taken a formal course, I have paid for a few tastings. I have found them to be a good way to taste a number of different wines and, most important, compare them. I attending a 1988 Bordeaux tasting a few years ago. Although the quantities weren't huge, it was an opportunity to taste a dozen good-to-great quality Bordeaux (including Latour, Margaux, and Petrus) for a reasonable price (certainly more reasonable than buying a bottle of Petrus).

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

What kind of wine biz career do you envision for yourself? Production? Marketing? Wholesale sales? Retail sales? Journalism? Advising? Sommelier?

Good question. I'm actually already a journalist, but make my living writing about health for now, which means I occassionally get to write about wine but not often enough. I'd like to eventually work for a winery or wine shop doing some combination of writing, education, event planning, tasting room help and/or sales.

And the WSET courses are more than just wine-tasting classes. They force you to learn about how wine is made, classified and sold. If you attend the classes on site, you get opportunities to network. And you receive a diploma, a form of official recognition, which vouches for your seriousness and may impress prospective employers. Not having taken the courses, I can't pass judgement on their ultimate worth other than to say that they are hard work and that the few in-the-business people I know who've gone through the process haven't regretted it.

The value of the WSET classes depends on what you are interested in learning about. The Intermediate level classes focus almost entirely on old world wine regions and just briefly touch on the US/Australia/South America. There is also a strange amount of info on Perry and Cider, which is apparently interesting if your British. I did the Intermediate Certificate a couple of years ago and I'm glad I did. Go for it.

It sounds more like you want a course on general wine knowledge?It really helps to know the grape blends, history etc about wine. Especially if you are to write about it.

People in tasting rooms don't need to hear your tasting notes. They generally have the wine in thier mouth, or are about to. however interesting facts about the grapes or the vineyard are always nice.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

People in tasting rooms don't need to hear your tasting notes. They generally have the wine in thier mouth, or are about to. however interesting facts about the grapes or the vineyard are always nice.

People in tasting rooms ask really really strange questions. There is an endless supply of 'how would you describe this?' or 'what is it I taste in this wine?' questions. Nevermind the folks rinsing their glasses in the spit bucket... Really all you need to work in a tasting room is one working arm and a lot of patience.

Oystergal:

Rather than a "formal" certificate based study of wine, I suggest starting with some classes geared to consumers. Get your feet wet there and see if it's something you really wish to pursue before committing the time and monetary resources to a "wine degree".

You can find local (to you) events at LocalWineEvents.com and should be able to find everything from tastings, to dinners to formal classes in your area. That ought to keep you busy for a little while at least, and give you a much better platform from which to make a decision.

I might also suggest getting a part time or full time job in a good wine shop as being an avenue where much learning can take place. It certainly worked for me! :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

A couple of thoughts to add.

Shelling out the coin for a $$$ class will get you the opportunity to taste wines you might not otherwise have access to either because they are rare or expensive (or both). For example, a class like this done will will have mature examples of certain wines so you can taste what a well-aged wine tastes like.

You will also have the chance to taste with an experienced taster, possibly more. A caution here, trust your own palate, but listen to those with experience.

A cheaper alternative for you is to taste with a group of friends on a periodic basis. Each time you get together to taste, you can do it around a certain theme. For example, two weeks ago, I tasted with a local group in Minnesota, and the theme was pre-1991 Bordeaux. There were eight of us. My "entry fee" into one of these tastings is one bottle of wine that supports the theme.

For the career options you've listed, I don't think you need to do the high brow, high buck tasting. If you work for a winery or wine shop, you'll get the opportunity to taste plenty.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Welp, here's what I'm doing because I'm in a similar position. I'm doing the Intermediate WSET course as home study this "semester." I'm very pregnant and having to forego the tasting section for now which is the only reason I'm doing it at home. I didn't think going into labor during a wine tasting would be very politically correct!

I made the decision to do formal study because I personally respond better to structured learning. I've read books and drunk a boatload of wine over the last 20+ years, but feel my knowledge is a little too anecdotal.

That said, I hope to take the Advanced course next "semester" and attend the tastings so I can get my foot in the door of the business through networking AND taste wines I wouldn't get a chance to taste otherwise. I've also considered volunteering or scoring a part-time job at a local winery or distributor for down the line when my "Stay At Home Mom" gig becomes manageble :raz: Unfortunately, here in PA, the stores are state-owned so the wine shop route is out for me. I think that would be the most enjoyable because you would be dealing with consumers making choices about wine on a daily basis.

So I guess it really depends on your learning style and how much time/money you have for on-the-job training as to how you proceed.

I took courses through the ISG mainly for my own pursuit of knowledge. What structutred courses teach is disipline. Disipline in tasting, note taking and evaluation. Reading books and going to the odd tasting is fine but it will not give you the same type of education. I worked in a wine shop part time while going to school as well. An education in itself.

Taking structured courses also expands your wine circle. Although I no longer work in the industry I still go to industry only tastings at least 3 times a month and usually more simply through the people I met in the course and in the industry.

I say it's worth the bucks and you will enjoy it.

One fellas opinion.

Cheers, T

slowfood/slowwine

• 1 year later...

Just a note here in case anyone looks this old discussion up in the future. Someone wrote...

The Intermediate level classes focus almost entirely on old world wine regions and just briefly touch on the US/Australia/South America

The curriculum has changed. I'm currently in the Int/Level 2, as of Sept 2005, and we're the first bunch to be doing the new curriculum, which emphasises varietals first, and regions 2nd. This gives a bit more scope to the new world regions, once the varietal characteristics and classic regions are covered.

Cheers!

Kev

A couple thoughts. I found that formal classes helped me. My favorite was the 10 week course by Kevin Zraly. Gave me a good foundation. From there, it involves pulling a lot of corks. And yes, the more you know, the more you realize that there is so much you don't know.

A career in wine...hmmm. I've done that, gained a lot more wine knowledge, but never made so little money.

If yu are a writer now, and want to also write about wine, then immerse your self in it. Working part-time at a wine shop can help alot, but it has to be a better wine shop, one where they are constantly tasting new wines, and you will also have the opportunity to taste. Being a clerk at a wine shop is a waste of time.

Also, after you feel you have a little foundation, have a wine tasting at you apartment every week with a bunch of friends. You set the theme, perhaps everyone brings a chardonnay this week and a cabetnet next week.

Hope this helps...Ed

Ed McAniff

A Taster's Journey

Oystergal,

Do you take advantage of all the free tastings that the wine shops in NYC has to offer? Depending on which stores you go to, you can learn a lot by talking to the people that work there. I took a formal class once, which gave me a great foundation, but I also learn a lot by tasting and talking.

Edited by I_call_the_duck (log)

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany