• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dark Soy Sauce

chan25

Whew, finally activated my account ... guess I've been lurking for too long. :biggrin:

So I've been using up the dark soy sauce (the one that's really thick, almost like molasses) I brought back from Singapore at a torrid rate, and being located in Indiana for now I haven't been able to find anything that is similar to it.

Have been searching online and have turned up nothing so far, even on the big websites like ethnicgrocer etc.

I'm sure I would be able to find it in a big metropolitan area but there's no such thing in Indiana.

Would be nice to find a ready supply in the US so I can go back to cooking my braised dishes and char siew with abandon ...

Edited by chan25 (log)

Are you by any chance talking about kecap manis?  This website sells it.  I'm sure Froogle will yield more hits.

No, that I can find. I was refering what we call dark soy sauce back home ... The ones on sale in the US are thin and feel almost like regular soy sauce to me.

It's really thick and not as salty as light soy sauce.

No, that I can find. I was refering what we call dark soy sauce back home ... The ones on sale in the US are thin and feel almost like regular soy sauce to me.

Hmm... I'm from Malaysia, and what we call dark soy sauce is not really that thick, certainly not like molasses. I'm talking about lau chou (老抽), and mushroom soy, cao gu lau chou (草菰老抽), which are a little more viscous and darker than light sheng chou (生抽), commonly made by Pearl River Bridge and Lee Kum Kee, and are available from almost every Asian grocer I've been to, so probably aren't what you're looking for.

Do you have a particular manufacturer in mind or a name other than just "dark soy sauce"? Regardless, www.asiafoods.com have a bunch of soy sauces, including the ones I mentioned, and may well have what you are searching for.

It sounds like you may be talking about what's called "Sweet Soy Sauce" here. Really thick like syrup (you have to shake the bottle hard to pour some out). And it is sweet and not too salty. I have a bottle of ABC Sweet Soy Sauce at home that fits your description. And they carry it at Asiafoods.com.

See if this is what you are looking for. $2.89 online order. Not bad.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

It sounds like you may be talking about what's called "Sweet Soy Sauce" here.  Really thick like syrup (you have to shake the bottle hard to pour some out).  And it is sweet and not too salty.  I have a bottle of ABC Sweet Soy Sauce at home that fits your description.  And they carry it at Asiafoods.com. 

See if this is what you are looking for.  $2.89 online order.  Not bad.

The brand that I have now has an picture of an elephant on it, and another brand that I remember has a tiger instead.

I've always known it as dark soy sauce, and I think I know what the sweet ones are, but that's not it ... maybe I should just try a couple of your suggestions and see what i can find.

I knew I should have delurked much earlier :biggrin:

The one that I'm using right now reminds me of the thick sauce that I use to get at good chicken rice stores in singapore. The brand is Yuen Chuen Longentivity (might have a spelling error there) brand Thick soya sauce. It has a picture of the happy buddha on the label and it is made in malaysia.