• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Walking in Tuscany

I will be walking to Montepulciano next month - anything you need from Seattle? Sorry, fresh salmon or crab wouldn't be by the time I get there!

What one stop in the area is your can't miss? This can be food related - anywhere from Siena to Montepulciano.

I will be walking to Montepulciano next month - anything you need from Seattle? Sorry, fresh salmon or crab wouldn't be by the time I get there!

What one stop in the area is your can't miss? This can be food related - anywhere from Siena to Montepulciano.

Just one stop?

Here are some recommendations I made in another thread:

Will you have a car? If so, you absolutely should go to La Porta in Monticchiello, also Latte di Luna in Pienza. And in Montepulciano...La Grotta is worth every penny. for true 'locals' food, go to Ristorante Cittino - Marcella makes the pici pasta by hand. Dive e Maceo is good. Stop in the Caffe Poliziano for coffee and the view. For pizza, don't miss Saloon (yes, funny name) in nearby Sant' Albino.

Pamela Sheldon Johns

Italian Food Artisans

www.FoodArtisans.com

How does the pizza at Saloon compare to Neapolitan Pizze? What are some of the differences in style? Similarities? Technique?

La Grotta was perhaps the best meal I had when I spent two weeks in Tuscany back in 1998 and that is saying a lot :biggrin:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Gaetano Cannetiello is from Naples! If you ask him, he will make you a classic DOP Neapolitan pizza, the Margherita with bufalo mozzarella, tomatoes, and basil or the Marinara with tomato, oregano, and garlic.

Locally, people prefer the pizza crust to be a little thinner, not as thin as Rome, but still not as cushiony and sumptuous as Naples. The neapolitan pizza is all about the crust. In my book, I say that neapolitan pizzas are 'scantily dressed,' instead of loading up with toppings that distract from the crust. The major factor about the naples crust (which Gaetano does here, too) is the low yeast, high salt proportion and the slooooow rise (12 hours+).

I love La Grotta, too. Next time you come, I'll take you to La Porta!

Edited by pamela in tuscany (log)

Pamela Sheldon Johns

Italian Food Artisans

www.FoodArtisans.com