• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

scrapple: wherein i sacrifice my health

mrbigjas

Maple syrup? Yikes. Okay I will have to read this entire thread as I know scrapple is the most multifaceted grub worldwide. I don’t think there is a food item that I’ve heard with more varied toppings and condiments.

It’s a crispy scrapple sandwich topped only with catsup. This is no other RIGHT way.

Edited by CoolPapaBell (log)

Nobody eats at that restaurant anymore. It's always too crowded.

---Yogi Berra

It’s a crispy scrapple sandwich topped only with catsup. This is no other RIGHT way.

I had it with ketchup this morning. I'd say ketchup is better than maple syrup.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

we always ate it with syrup, but not maple syrup--pancake syrup. mainly corn syrup you know.

as i've gotten older and my sweets intake gets rarer and rarer, i've come to prefer it with ketchup--or ideally, mixed with a runny egg yolk.

the only other tricky part appears to be dealing with continuing the stirring after you've dumped a couple of pounds of cornmeal into the pot, and it starts to thicken...

I can tell you what I do. It does get a bit on the stiff side and for years I tried all kinds of things for stirring, a long wooden spoon, a super-sized metal spoon, etc. I still had unmixed stuff in the bottom "corners" of the pot because nothing worked really well.

I bought one of the Danish dough whisks from King Arthur flour several years ago because I wanted to try it and found that it worked really well for quick breads that you don't want to overmix - scones especially. like this one

It is just perfect for mixing scrapple (or similar things). The long handle and the shape of the "whisk" make stirring it quite easy and everything is well mixed.

I liked it so well I bought a second one, "just in case".........

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

...mixed with a runny egg yolk.
That is by far my favorite thing on or with scrapple, a yolky egg. As for maple syrup or anything sweet with it, I don't like it when syrup or anything sweet touches the scrapple, or touches the eggs, etc. If I have scrapple and eggs and also some pancakes, for example, the pancakes and maple syrup have to be on a separate plate! And even then I usually eat the pancakes last with the coffee, like for dessert.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I know this is the "Pennsylvania" forum and all, but we don't have scrapple in the South.  We do, however, have "souse", which sounds like the same thing ...  Is it?

Souse is headcheese, right?

I think headcheese is similar.

Is headcheese everything on the pig that is otherwise unusable?

Or is headcheese perhaps just everything on the pig's head that is otherwise unusable?

(My friend considers pig ears tasty, while I prefer pig tongue.)

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Oh god how I miss Scrapple!! I was back in Philly two years ago and had some at the Oregon Diner, I was in hog heaven (no pun intended) If someone were to send me some Scrapple overnight I would send them a cool We8there.com embroidered tee shirt Black or Gray large or extra large!! Please please......don't make me beg!!! :raz::raz::raz:

Stanley E. Roberts

President/CEO

www.we8there.com

"we ate there, should you?"

Is headcheese everything on the pig that is otherwise unusable?

Or is headcheese perhaps just everything on the pig's head that is otherwise unusable?

(My friend considers pig ears tasty, while I prefer pig tongue.)

Well, I've heard conflicting reports. Can't say anything about headcheese, but I've heard souse described as either everything on the pig's head that isn't otherwise usable, and I've heard it described as everything on the pig (in general) that isn't usable. I've tried it, but my taste buds aren't sophisticated enough to know whether there was some tail in there, etc.

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

What about Taylor Pork Roll, another Philly favorite?  With cheese and spicy mustard on a roll.  Good stuff.

Taylor Pork Roll ™ is a great breakfast sandwich. Then there is Lebanon bologna, a favorite of my grandparents.

Nobody eats at that restaurant anymore. It's always too crowded.

---Yogi Berra

Is Pork Roll a Philly thing?  I always just figured that was enjoyed nationally...

Definately a philly area thing,Trenton brand pork roll aint bad either

Dave s

"Food is our common ground,a universal experience"

James Beard

• 3 weeks later...

New brunch special being test driven this weekend:

Open faced sandwich with Habbersett's scrapple, sauteed spinach, Lancaster Co. goat cheese topped with two sunny side up eggs. :wub:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I kid you not ,i was shopping at the outlets in lowerslowerdelaware(my new home) at one of the discount bookstores and i came across a Scrapple cookbook from some guy outta Rosemont,Damn i shoulda bought it,it was only like 6 bucks or something

Dave s

James Beard

New brunch special being test driven this weekend:

Open faced sandwich with Habbersett's scrapple, sauteed spinach, Lancaster Co. goat cheese topped with two sunny side up eggs.  :wub:

Sounds damn good ,i would definately order this,my one and only pet peeve with Scrapple is that it must and i mean must be crispy

Dave s

James Beard

When my husband was in the kitchen at Four Seasons he test drove an Eggs Benny featuring grilled bread and scrapple instead of canadian bacon and english muffins. I hope your dish fares better :smile: ! Scapple and hollandaise just weren't meant for each other.

"Love and cook with reckless abandon" - Dalai Lama

When my husband was in the kitchen at Four Seasons he test drove an Eggs Benny featuring grilled bread and scrapple instead of canadian bacon and english muffins.  I hope your dish fares better  :smile: !  Scapple and hollandaise just weren't meant for each other.

Scrapple and Hollandaise does sound like a bit of overkill. Or maybe just too rich with the eggs and all too.

I'll let you know how our special does. The bread still hasn't been decided upon so I'll report back when it's really formulated.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

When my husband was in the kitchen at Four Seasons he test drove an Eggs Benny featuring grilled bread and scrapple instead of canadian bacon and english muffins.  I hope your dish fares better  :smile: !  Scapple and hollandaise just weren't meant for each other.

One of the best brunch dishes my place ever put out (or at least one of my favorites) was a tad similar. Country paté for the base and the Hollendaise sauce flavored with mustard.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I kid you not ,i was shopping at the outlets in lowerslowerdelaware(my new home) at one of the discount bookstores and i came across a Scrapple cookbook from some guy outta Rosemont,Damn i shoulda bought it,it was only like 6 bucks or something

Dave s

Could it have been Country Scrapple: An American Tradition -- by William Woys Weaver? It's the classic text.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Dave s

Could it have been Country Scrapple: An American Tradition -- by William Woys Weaver? It's the classic text.

Bingo!!!!! i,ll pick it up next time and make something and maybe chronicle it here

Dave s

James Beard