• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Whole Foods @ Park Royal

I was @ Park Royal this AM so I stopped by Whole Foods for a look see and a Muffin.

The store is what we've come to expect here-standard layout and shelves groaning with foodstuffs both mundane and obscure.

Prices are high for most items-this from someone who lives just a few blocks from Capers-but not outrageously so.

Particularly fine was the Seafood display-the White Spring Salmon looked fabulous-if you've never eaten White Spring it's the best Salmon of all IMO.

Alas prices for Muffins were stratospheric-$2.69 before tax! :blink:

As good as they might be-they looked ordinary-I passed and ended up @ Savary Island Pie Company-it was packed as always the place is warm and welcoming. Muffin was delicious as always-$2 total.

I was @ Park Royal this AM so I stopped by Whole Foods for a look see and a Muffin.

The store is what we've come to expect here-standard layout and shelves groaning with foodstuffs both mundane and obscure.

After visiting my first Whole Foods in Portland this past summer, I was anxious to have one in my own back yard ... or at least only 1 bridge away. Then J reminded me there would be no aisles brimming with wines and micro-brews, and alas my enthusiasm waned. My last hope is they will carry the Polenta Chips I am unable to source here, and developed an addiction for in Portland.

Arne

After visiting my first Whole Foods in Portland this past summer, I was anxious to have one in my own back yard ... or at least only 1 bridge away.  Then J reminded me there would be no aisles brimming with wines and micro-brews, and alas my enthusiasm waned.  My last hope is they will carry the Polenta Chips I am unable to source here, and developed an addiction for in Portland.

Arne

yes, they have the Polenta chips. i made a little excursion there Saturday. A curiosity, I'll probably go there for some of their bulk stuff. But I live 6 blocks from Capers, so .......

< Linda >

I also went on Saturday for my first excursion and I can't say that I was all that impressed. I was expecting stuff that you can't find here or that is difficult to source and the only thing I found were the Polenta chips, which are quite good. I picked up a some of their pre-cooked foods and so far they have been good. The deli is over-priced for what you get. Don't bother with it and I didn't find their meat selection to be that nice. I prefer my local butcher. I don't think I'll be back.

Now, the Urban Tea Merchant next door is worth the hassle of Park Royal. I picked up 5 different teas all of which are divine!! I highly reccomend this little shop.

I went on Friday night and was impressed by the crowds, the products, not so much. The produce was okay but fairly limited. most of the produce section was pre packed salads and crudites. Some were organic but I can cut and clean produce so...

The fish department was decent, although i was not impressed by the dead clams. They were on ice instead of in a tank. The mushrooms were the same as I could buy at Save On. The meat looked nice. I bought some sausages (chicken and thyme), we ate them the next morning and they were very good. A bit lean though so cook them slowly in the oven.

The bread section was the same as every where else, Terra, Ecco and Mediterannio. Everything else was basically prepared food.

I remeber years ago going to Caper's and finding interesting greens, wild mushrooms and even some decent imported cheeses. This place does not have that charge for me.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

From all the other posts , I gather none were too impressed.

We went on the first night in a break in service at the restaurant. It was Ok.

Nice layout etc but just another grocery store.

The thing that made me laugh was the signs that told you things were on sale. Reg

price $2.99 Sale price $2.49. It is your first fuckin' night ! How stupid do you think

we are. You have not been open long enough to establish a regular price.

Say this is the price we would like to charge you soon , This is a gate crasher

special , but stop with the bull !!

Ok , it did not make me laugh , it pissed me off. Is that better. I feel better for

getting it out.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

I went there today since I was shopping at Park Royal. Like others have said, lots of prepared foods. I did find a good deal--Kashi GoLean Crunch at 2 bucks a box (they normally sell for 5 or 6 dollars a box). I also bought some Benedictin Blue cheese that I've been wanting to try, and a few cans of Chinotto (99 cents a can).

After reading this post I went yesterday to see what the guffaw was about. I think the most impressive thing about this store is the deli layout and the lighting. The more mature staff seem to know their stuff better than Capers and Choices.

BTW, the muffins are made by Savory Island Pie Company as well.

I bought the polenta chips to see what the fuss was about. It's allright.

I didn't see much difference between them and Capers and Choices as far as merchandise goes. However, I did buy some dark chocolates which they had cut up and wrapped in assorted weight; Valrhona, Callebaut, El Ray.

Looked for any kind of apple dessert but the closest thing was a $20 pie which I wasn't going to invest in. So I tried their peanut butter chocolate chip cookie...it's allright.

I would only shop here if I happen to be in the neighbourhood and if I'm in the mood to circle around for a rare parking space.

There were a lot of construction going on so I'm looking forward to see what else is going to open here.

Was down to Whole Foods last Friday. Very impressed with the clientele. If ever you needed a reason to eat healthy all you had to do was look around the store. 40 can be fabulous.

The thing that struck me the most was the availability of specialty and organic meat. There was organic chicken by the piece available which wasn't an option at Capers this week. As well there was specialty lamb and beef that looked great. If you've gotten hooked on brining poultry you'll be surprised how well organic chicken cooks up.

The produce selection was impressive for the breadth of the organic selection.

This is the future of supermarkets for neighbourhoods that can afford it. Hopefully Kits is in their plans.

It ain't the meat it's the emotion

Last Friday I was back @ Park Royal with a bit more time so the store rec'd a closer look.

It's apparent that there are more items to come, some sections are much better stocked than others.

I agree that the emphasis on prepared food is interesting and from the looks of people's baskets profitable.

A woman I know well-famous for never looking at a price tag-was prowling the deli counter with a gleam in her eye-she's the demographic they want ;)

Also a quick glance at the muffins shows that while they are indeed from Savary Island Pie Co the ones on sale @ Whole Foods are noticeably smaller!

Edited by Sam Salmon (log)