• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mandalay Restaurant

iamthestretch

I'm heading here tonight for the first time. From looking at their menu, I definitely want to try the spring rolls, pork salad and sliced pork sautéed with onion, sour mustard, and fresh cilantro. One question, has anyone tried the chinese sausage? The menu at this place is huge. I could go back there 100 times and still not explore the whole menu. Looks like a place to go with a ton of friends.

Visited Mandalay for lunch yesterday to try their Sundays-only special, DanPauk -- very tender whole chicken thighs in a thick onion curry served over raisin-studded basmati rice. Definitely worth the trip. I've also decided my favorite appetizer is the spring roll salad. Why choose one or the other when you can have them both smooshed together? Yum.

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

The above post has a brief, sad, instructive corollary. Thinking about Mandalay made me want to eat my wife's leftover flat rice noodles for lunch, triggering the following sequence of events:

Retrieve noodles from refrigerator, place in microwave for quick reheat, return to study to peruse latest foreign policy outrages in Post, smell something funny, dismiss as olfactory hallucination, idly wonder why dog has disappeared downstairs, there's that smell again ... almost like ... melting plastic, rocket out of seat, freefall down stairs to kitchen, find takeout carton on fire and smoke pouring from microwave, don oven gloves, evacuate blazing carton to back yard, extinguish flames, examine carton, belatedly note standard wire carrying handle, search memory for suitable string of expletives, examine microwave, find roof of said appliance thoroughly blackened, blistered and cracked, curse own stupidity, curse fate, curse ruined noodles, begin making alternative lunch plans.

Edited by iamthestretch (log)

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

Hmmmm.

Still trying to remove the heat from my mouth of the take-out last night.

Ordered spicy as I had before here, but -- WoooHa! -- much hotter.

Mrs JPW had the pork and eggplant in onion curry, I had the chicken with bamboo and onion. Both delicious. We also had the mango salad.

Bit of advice if you go spicy, get your salad at the same time as your entree. They're cool and crispy and tangy and have just the right amount of sugar to help knock the capsaicin down to size.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W