• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Purdue Food

iguana

...state of Indiana, wondering where a city girl can go...

You get the idea-- please help me find good food in Lafayette and West Lafayette.

Perhaps similarly getting jealous of all the talk of Madison dining options? At least I'm in a similar boat, a bit south in lovely Bloomington the dining options are lacking (but improving)...

I don't know about Lafayette, but Bloomington isn't too bad! Sure, there's no French Laundry or Trio here, but there are some decent ethnic joints.

Siam House and Esan Thai have good Thai food - a friend of mine from Chicaog who LOVES Thai food and has eaten at every Thai restaurant he can in Chicago prefers Siam House to all of them.

Shanti and Bombay House have decent Indian food (I prefer Shanti).

Falafels Flavors of Jeruselum has a limited menu, and the food is very simple, but tasty.

Mikado has pretty darn good sushi for being in the middle of Indiana, and their Japanese menu is good, too. We've always been happy with it.

We really like El Norteno for mexican.

There are a whole slew of other ethnic places - Burmese Gems, Anyetsang's Little Tibet, Samira Afghani cuisine, Casablanca for Morrocan, Turkuaz Cafe for Turkish...

Lennie's, Upland, and Trojan Horse have fun bar food. Bakehouse has nice sandwiches. Uptown, Scholar's Inn, or the Village Deli for breakfast foods are good choices.

For fancier stuff, Limestone isn't too bad, Restaurant Tallent and Truffles are pretty darn good, Scholar's Inn is consistantly decent, Le Petit is fun for French comfort food.

I fear this is getting a bit off of the original topic, but I'm happy to find someone interested in discussing btown dining options. The landscape of Bloomington dining has changed a lot the past few years and continues to change.

My daily lunching options are basically Falafels and Yats (with a few other places thrown in), both are excellent for something quick and cheap.

I'm not a fan of Mikado, too overpriced, but every now and then it satisfies a sushi fix, but desperately waiting for the $1 sushi place to open up (any day now).

The ethnic places are of mixed quality, I've been disappointed too much by Casablanca to place it high on my list of places to go back and Little Tibet, while having terrible (and nowhere near authentic Tibetan food) has even better Thai food (in my opinion) than the place across the street (Siam House).

I have never been to El Nortino but have often considered visiting, is it a sit down restaurant or grocery store that sells food or both? I am also very interested in trying the new Peruvian place and the rib shack, finally, ribs in bloomington.

I love Restaurant Tallent and have visited a number of times, the chef is doing things not seen anywhere else in Bloomington and it made me rethink ever going back to Scholars Inn. Every now and then will go to Uptown Cafe, but parking is very hard on the weekend. I am very interested in trying Le Petit as well, but don't know too much about it...

The place that has me blown away is tutto benne, it has quickly become my favorite place in Bloomington. I really wanted to go to the big dinner they are holding on the 27th, but alas cannot be there.

haha, and for the best bar food in btown, nothing beats wings and buffalo chips from yogi's (though irish lion's food and trojan horse's gyros are close behind).

I have to agree that Casablanca and Little Tibet aren't the best places around (I feel the same way about Burmese Gems) but I have friends (with very good taste) who adore those places.

I have to disagree about tutto benne. I've only been there twice, but both times the food seemed way, way overpriced - especially for the quality. And the menu was so unimaginative. Maybe it's changed since I've been there, but I gave it two chances and walked away really disappointed both times.

I also disagree with Yogis. I don't think their wings are that great, I really prefer the big, meaty, saucey wings at Lennies with a dollop of chunky blue cheese sauce and crusty bread to soak up the vinegar-y wing sauce. Too bad the prices at Lennies keep going up. I also like the plate of roasted veggies at Lennies with the tarragon mayo.

La Petit can be hit or miss. It's mostly the atmoshpere that's fun. The owner will come and sit at your table and tell you what his wife is making for dinner tonight. Then he'll pour you some wine and chat somemore. It's very laid back and I think they only open when they feel like it.

El Nortino used to have the yummiest bean and cheese tamales, but they no longer make them. When you get the chicken tamales fresh, they are wonderful. We always get an assortment of different tacos. It's a sit down restaurant with a store upstairs, but we always get it to go.

Have you tried Truffles? If you can hit a wine dinner there, you won't be disappointed. We have been very happy with the regular menu, too. We have gotten meat that has been slightly over cooked once or twice.

We used to love Divino (now something called Rumblefish - same chef and owner) and we even had our wedding reception there. I'll never forget the rare duck breast stuffed with chorizo and potatoes, and the chicken stuffed with fennel dressing with roasted herb gnocchi that we had at our wedding. Unfortunately, we had quite a few issues with the owner with regards to how our reception was handled, so we are never going back.

Scholar's in used to have these amazing wine dinners, but the last year and a half, the quality has REALLY dropped. There were some dinners there, before that time, that I will never forget. The pastry chef, Nicole, is really talented. She didn't get to design the dessert menu because the first chef did that, but when she got to do her own original stuff at the wine dinners, she had us swooning. She did the desserts for our wedding.

Edited by amccomb (log)

Thanks for all the Bloomington dining options-- I'll actually be there in three weeks for the Hilly Hundred bike ride. But I'm in West Lafayette this week on a business trip, so if anyone has any help there, I really need it. So far I found out that Harry's Chocolate Shop is actually a dive bar. Turns out the name is a relic of Prohibition. Sounds like a cruel, cruel joke-- especially since I'm pregnant and can't drink.

Okay, I'm heading back to Chicago today and you guys were no help whatsoever with this Bloomington thread hijack. :biggrin: . I did find a couple of good spots:

Khana Khazana Indian Grill

108 Northwestern Ave

Purdue campus

This restaurant has a great Indian buffet-- many more selections than the usual buffet and some interesting selections (lentil rasam, dosas). Most stuff was mildly spiced, and a bit soupy, but tasty.

Sofra

"Authentic Turkish Restaurant"

213 State Street, West Lafayette

This restaurant has some very tasty Turkish dishes-- I enjoyed the lentil soup and the stuffed grape leaves. The bread basket comes with a plate of spiced olive oil for dipping-- this oil is ladled out of a huge bucket, which makes for an interesting presentation.

Shopping:

Interested in apple varieties? How about Gala, Empire, and Liberty? How about NKX-413-53? Check out the Purdue Horticultural Research Station. They sell apples from the research program for breeding disease-resistant apples. With each bag of apples, you can take a feedback form and tell them how you liked each apple, so they can factor it into the breeding program. They sell fruit in Sept-Oct, 12N-5PM. From the Purdue campus, head west on State Street, which turns into Rte 26, and look for the sign on the left.

They 'normal' and research varieties, and also sell chestnuts, pawpaws, pears, and some really delicious grapes.

Okay, I'm heading back to Chicago today and you guys were no help whatsoever with this Bloomington thread hijack.  :biggrin: .

Sorry, I was just happy to see some talk of Indiana dining options for once...I guess there aren't very many Purdue alums out there, or those that are don't want to admit it! :biggrin:

I'm willing to admit to being a Purdue alum- am down there for all the football games and serve on the board for the School of Education. We usually end up eating at the same campus haunts that I did during school. Arni's for pizza and things covered in cheese, Triple XXX for breakfast at 3 AM and a dose of grease/nostalgia/interesting people, and Maize for the "big girl dress-up dinners". Other than that, I end up eating bad Mexican food with my sorority sisters, or Purdue catered events for board meetings and such.

Edited by soupsister (log)

I'm glad we got an authentic Purdue alum to speak up. soupsister, thanks for the recommendations-- I drove by Triple XXX and thought "What the heck?". Lafayette is a strange place-- a 'Chocolate Shoppe' that is really a dive bar and a 'XXX' joint that is really a family restaurant.

P.S. Just for the record, in case there was any confusion, I'm not a 'Boilermaker"-- I was just in the area on business. I'm an "Eph". Ten points to you if you can place that one.

P.S. Just for the record, in case there was any confusion, I'm not a 'Boilermaker"-- I was just in the area on business.  I'm an "Eph".  Ten points to you if you can place that one.

Williams College, Williamstown, Massachusetts :biggrin:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I'm glad we got an authentic Purdue alum to speak up. soupsister, thanks for the recommendations-- I drove by Triple XXX and thought "What the heck?". Lafayette is a strange place-- a 'Chocolate Shoppe' that is really a dive bar and a 'XXX' joint that is really a family restaurant.

What do you want for a college in the middle of a cornfied? :biggrin:

I used to live with a view out of my bedroom window of Harry's Chocolate Shoppe, in an apartment since torn down, cash a $5 check at the drug store that is no longer there, to buy $2 pitchers of Little Kings at the Stabilizer, a bar that was bulldozed. Ah, progress. But the Tripple XXX has been there since my father went to Purdue in the forties. I think it still stands by sheer force of grease.

Ah, progress.  But the Tripple XXX has been there since my father went to Purdue in the forties.  I think it still stands by sheer force of grease.

Never thought I'd see a Purdue thread on eGullet!

Time to push the Hoosiers off this thread. :biggrin:

There has been an influx of new places in the past couple years, Scotty's Brewhouse down in the Levee to name but one. A new Korean place (Bea One) opened up about a year ago just across the bridge.

Oh and a new Thai place just opened in Chauncey. Have always wanted to try it but haven't found the time so far.

There's lots of places to go to actually. IMO the dining scene has improved alot compared to when I first came here 5 years ago.

Of course Triple XXX is always the good 'ol standby.

• 3 years later...

I wanted to bump this thread back up in the hopes that dining in the region has continued its upswing, and that perhaps there are some eGullet forum denizens with updated recommendations. My wife is interviewing for a job at Purdue and my usual habit is to check out the "food scene" in the area. My post about Oklahoma City was met with the lonely sound of crickets chirping...surely there are places worth eating in W. Lafayette! We've even got a couple here in State College! Do you all just take day trips to Chicago?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I wanted to bump this thread back up in the hopes that dining in the region has continued its upswing, and that perhaps there are some eGullet forum denizens with updated recommendations.

Well I can't help but I do look forward to a response, I haven't been to West Lafayette in many years. I actually married a boilermaker (M.Sc.'95). When I visited from Toronto (only a 10 hour drive, including a stop at the Dan Quayle Museum in Huntington, IN) we would typically make corn for dinner then go out for beer and/or a sporty event. I can say I have actually dined at the XXX. All I remember on campus is the ice cream places and good coffee spots. I'll bet there are a lot more options now.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I live in downtown Lafayette. For nicer meals, try Bea One, Maize. They're both located downtown. Basil Thai (in chauncey village) has awesome cheap thai food. And The Blue Nile has good middle eastern food, but you might wait a while for your food at lunch time. Bombay (near potbelly's) has Indian food that's acceptable.

What about that new little cajun place on the levee? has anyone been there? I havne't set foot in it yet. My favorite place was Sofra, which was kind of classy turkish ofod, but they seem to have closed.

If you want somewhere special (as special as it can get around here!) go to Lafayette City Grill.