• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Which restaurant(s) will close next? Why?

guajolote

Kiki's will be next :sad: .

Kiki wants to retire, but he does not own his space, so he cannot find an investor to take over the business.

Damn, that's terrible news; not exactly the kind of closing which inspired this thread. I've had some truly memorable meals there.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Kiki's will be next :sad: .

Kiki wants to retire, but he does not own his space, so he cannot find an investor to take over the business.

Damn, that's terrible news; not exactly the kind of closing which inspired this thread. I've had some truly memorable meals there.

=R=

Well, he's still open, so go while you can (esp to have his magnificent calves liver).

S. Cue

:biggrin:

A closing with a ray of hope: apparently, Pasteur on north Broadway in Chicago is only closing for two to three months for redecorating, not closing for ever. This is a good thing!

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

A closing with a ray of hope:  apparently, Pasteur on north Broadway in Chicago is only closing for two to three months for redecorating, not closing for ever.  This is a good thing!

Yes, this happier, non-closing news was first reported by Chicago Magazine's Dish on May 11 and then updated on August 3. :smile:

=R=

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
A little bit after the fact, Banana Moon is no more.  There are some rumors of a nasty split; seems the pastry chef (one of the partners) just walked away.  Doesn't sound pretty.

So can we call that a Banana split?

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

A little bit after the fact, Banana Moon is no more.  There are some rumors of a nasty split; seems the pastry chef (one of the partners) just walked away.  Doesn't sound pretty.

LOL!

. . . less than 2 miles from my house and I never got there. But, I tried. One time, after the announced opening date, we went over only to find out they weren't yet open. They never bothered posting their hours on the door (or anywhere for that matter), so another time when we tried to have lunch on a Saturday afternoon -- and the place was all lit up -- the doors were locked. I guess I blew my chance. That was a distinctively short run. The sun has set on 'the moon.' Oh well.

=R=

LOL!

. . . less than 2 miles from my house and I never got there. But, I tried. One time, after the announced opening date, we went over only to find out they weren't yet open. They never bothered posting their hours on the door (or anywhere for that matter), so another time when we tried to have lunch on a Saturday afternoon -- and the place was all lit up -- the doors were locked. I guess I blew my chance. That was a distinctively short run. The sun has set on 'the moon.' Oh well.

=R=

Hello, all. I work in the kitchen at Banana Moon. We have absolutely NOT closed. We are open Tuesday thru Friday Lunch and Dinner. Saturday Dinner only. Sunday Brunch and Dinner. As far as I know, there are no plans to close any time soon. Sorry you missed out on Saturday but we have never been open for lunch on Saturday. Please come again.

LOL!

=R=

Hello, all. I work in the kitchen at Banana Moon. We have absolutely NOT closed. We are open Tuesday thru Friday Lunch and Dinner. Saturday Dinner only. Sunday Brunch and Dinner. As far as I know, there are no plans to close any time soon. Sorry you missed out on Saturday but we have never been open for lunch on Saturday. Please come again.

Thanks, RMeierdirks, for the correction -- and the good news. We'll definitely come check it out!

=R=

LOL!

=R=

Thanks, RMeierdirks, for the correction -- and the good news. We'll definitely come check it out!

=R=

Looking forward to seeing you there. Please let me know what you think.

Edited by RMeierdirks (log)

• 1 month later...

My local newspaper reported today that 302 West in Geneva has been sold to Jim Ginger, owner of Rain in Geneva, previous owner of Foxfire and who closed his Randall Cafe, both in Geneva, after one year. His venture here will be called Tuscana Incredibly Italian and will feature mid-priced pastas. The article said that in presenting his new format to the 302 staff, the entire staff walked out. This really was not unexpected because 302's chef/owner Joel Findlay died of cancer in 2004, just sorry to see that this looks like a blatant sellout with no concern for quality.

• 4 months later...

On a brighter note, the chef and staff from 302 West will be opening their new restaurant, Niche, on August 30th in the space formerly occupied by Chez Francois. Phone: 630-262-1000. The Geneva Chamber of Commerce lists a website at http://www.nichegeneva.com but it's currently a "will be opening soon" placeholder...

• 3 months later...

The Metro Diner on 11th street (part of the original Route 66 highway) is closing.

The Metro Diner closes for good on Sunday afternoon after a final serving of its hand-breaded chicken-fried steak and homemade chocolate shakes.

I was never really impressed with the food there, but that was just me. It seems a lot of Tulsans have some attachment to the place, even though it really isn't all that old. The new diner down by the Harley Davidson store on Sheridan has better food.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!