• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Which restaurant(s) will close next? Why?

guajolote

Ok, I can play this game.

Just curious...why Moto?

I'd have to pick Filippo's in Deerfield, IL. If my one experience there was truly representative, it can't possibly last long.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

because the chef blew off my paella party last year without letting me know.

also, recent reports have said the place is only 1/2 full on weekends.

Not sure how much bearing your first reason may actually have but the second one seems reasonable.

=R=

what restaurant do you think will close next? winner gets a free pint of pickled beets.

my guess : moto

Do you think the reason why they have sparse crowds on the weekends is due to their location? Off the beaten path that is not has asthetically pleasing as Randolph, Lincoln Park, the Loop, etc...

Or, do you think it might have to do with them being such a new restaurant performing such new cuisine for this area?

Do you think the reason why they have sparse crowds on the weekends is due to their location?  Off the beaten path that is not has asthetically pleasing as Randolph, Lincoln Park, the Loop, etc...

Or, do you think it might have to do with them being such a new restaurant performing such new cuisine for this area?

I'm wondering, if indeed they are suffering, if the cuisine at moto is just not "commercial" enough for a mainstream crowd. Sure, eGulleters are having fun with it (but there are even some dissenters in that limited market), but can the general public support a place like that enough to keep it in business?

I guess someone's actually watching this thread... :biggrin:

Chicago Magazine's Dish (scroll down to the bottom of this week's installment)

EGullet.org has a new topic called “The Restaurant Death Pool,” in which folks predict which high-profile restaurant will close next. So far, guesses include Moto, Monsoon, and Vermilion.

Edit: too bad no one guessed Fuse :wink:

=R=

Edit:  too bad no one guessed Fuse :wink:

=R=

I honestly was going to guess Fuse, with all of its difficulty since opening and, from what I've heard, not getting much of a draw, but I figured that it should be left alone as it already seemed half dead.

So the Dish is following this, Chicago mag rep, make yourself known!!!

Edited by chengb02 (log)

I'm curious about the fact that all 3 restaurants selected so far are "fusion" type places. In particular, Monsoon and Vermillion try to produce high end, "interesting" Indian cuisine. Is this a sign that this concept needs to be reconsidered? Perhaps people aren't ready to give up local, cheap Indian places for these higher end places...

I honestly was going to guess Fuse, with all of its difficulty since opening and, from what I've heard, not getting much of a draw, but I figured that it should be left alone as it already seemed half dead.

So the Dish is following this, Chicago mag rep, make yourself known!!!

Let's start a rumor! :rolleyes:

Let's start a rumor!  :rolleyes:

I am Chicago magazine Boy, hear me roar.

I'm the quintessential lurker - been watching eGullet creepily from the shadows for awhile now. (No wonder girls stayed away from me in high school.)

Have to tell you, I really enjoy this board a lot. You're all so much more open and smart and *nice* than people on the movie message boards I used to go on, which always ended up with people calling each other racists and jerks.

Jeff Ruby

Chicago magazine

I'm the quintessential lurker - been watching eGullet creepily from the shadows for awhile now. (No wonder girls stayed away from me in high school.)

Have to tell you, I really enjoy this board a lot. You're all so much more open and smart and *nice* than people on the movie message boards I used to go on, which always ended up with people calling each other racists and jerks.

Jeff Ruby

Chicago magazine

I guess starting a rumour now won't be much fun. :sad:

Great to have you aboard, Jeff! I'm sure everyone here would love to hear more from you!

Jeff Ruby

Chicago magazine

It's very nice to have you with us, Mr. Ruby. Dish is the source for Chicago restaurant "dish" and I look forward to reading it every week. You do a great job. :smile:

=R=

My chef pointed this thread out to me and was apalled by the nature of this thread. I hope that you all realize, especially with the mention in Chicago magazine, the harmful nature that this type of public discussion could have on the restaurants mentioned. Besides the pre-Moto paella fiasco, does any of you have a bad experience to share about any of these restaurants to justify this rumor mill? Do you now understand that this discussion will strongly influence many readers of Chicago Mag to not go to these restaurants?

This is not a case of "if you don't have anything nice to say...", but if writers for major magazines are going to pinch off bits of egullet discussions to fill out their articles maybe we should all strongly consider what we write and how it could impact, maybe unjustifiably, a new, interesting restaurant struggling to get a foothold in this already difficult to survive in industry.

Or maybe people would like to see how easy it is to close a joint down based on second-hand accounts?

Terrarich

Crashed and Burned Cook

Current Wannabe

>Or maybe people would like to see how easy it is to close a joint down based on second-hand accounts?

This is an interesting question: how influential is egullet, specifically the Heartland. I was initially tempted to dismiss this as paranoia. However, I think it bears consideration. One way to assess this is to ask the reverse: has egullet ever 'made' a restaurant?

My chef pointed this thread out to me and was apalled by the nature of this thread.  I hope that you all realize, especially with the mention in Chicago magazine, the harmful nature that this type of public discussion could have on the restaurants mentioned.  Besides the pre-Moto paella fiasco, does any of you have a bad experience to share about any of these restaurants to justify this rumor mill?  Do you now understand that this discussion will strongly influence many readers of Chicago Mag to not go to these restaurants?

This is not a case of "if you don't have anything nice to say...", but if writers for major magazines are going to pinch off bits of egullet discussions to fill out their articles maybe we should all strongly consider what we write and how it could impact, maybe unjustifiably, a new, interesting restaurant struggling to get a foothold in this already difficult to survive in industry.

Or maybe people would like to see how easy it is to close a joint down based on second-hand accounts?

While I think your concerns are heartfelt, I respectfully disagree with you about the negative impact you believe this thread will have. I think a poor review in any standard publication will carry a lot more weight than the obvious ranting of a few rabid restaurant fans--especially given the context of this single thread in a venue where hundreds (if not thousands) of other threads sing restaurant's praises.

Yes, careers and livelihoods are on the line but comments here don't influence their outcome anymore than someone posting that they had a terrible experience at a restaurant. Should we refrain from making those types of posts as well? While I see the line you are trying to draw, I have a hard time believing this type of conversation has any causal effect whatsoever.

=R=

My chef pointed this thread out to me and was apalled by the nature of this thread.  I hope that you all realize, especially with the mention in Chicago magazine, the harmful nature that this type of public discussion could have on the restaurants mentioned.  Besides the pre-Moto paella fiasco, does any of you have a bad experience to share about any of these restaurants to justify this rumor mill?  Do you now understand that this discussion will strongly influence many readers of Chicago Mag to not go to these restaurants?

you forgot to give us your pick rich

While I think your concerns are heartfelt, I respectfully disagree with you about the negative impact you believe this thread will have.  I think a poor review in any standard publication will carry a lot more weight than the obvious ranting of a few rabid restaurant fans--especially given the context of this single thread in a venue where hundreds (if not thousands) of other threads sing restaurant's praises.

Yes, careers and livelihoods are on the line but comments here don't influence their outcome anymore than someone posting that they had a terrible experience at a restaurant.  Should we refrain from making those types of posts as well?  While I see the line you are trying to draw, I have a hard time believing this type of conversation has any causal effect whatsoever.

=R=

I quite agree. The New York eGullet community, to wit, constantly underlines the fact that their members make up but a minute percentage of New York's dining population.

The purpose of our discussions is to share our thoughts (which are, by nature, highly subjective). That we disagree with each other often is good grist for the discussion mill. This thread is merely a place for us to wonder about different restaurants' futures based on what's been heard here and around town, and based on individual experiences at those establishments. While using a message board such as this may be a higher-tech version of the water cooler at work, it's not unreasonable for the writers of views such as the ones expressed in this thread to expect the readers to realize that these views are still only speculation.

I believe if you open a restaurant, you are open to any criticism. It may be your heart and soul on the line, but it may just not be the right concept at the right time, or it may plain suck. The movies, arts and culinary fields are all adapt to this trend, so a discussion here, no matter how ill-hearted, is not out of line. Look at bad reviews by journalists for movies and restaurants. Same thing.

With that, I can see reasons for all those restaurants demise. Monsoon was great when Sumanth was there. His food was good and we were well taken care of and pampered. He did know who I was, but I have had other friends have a great experience there. The "new" Monsoon, not so much. It will close, perhaps not first, since the owners have more money than God.

Vermilion was one of the worst meals I have ever had. Portions terible, although I didn't mind because their food was inedible. It was worse than iguana after a two-bottle-of-wine-hangover. I know. I've eaten it.

Sushi Samba Rio needs to be added to the list. It is obnoxiously decorated, not busy enough, both the opening chefs are gone(not a good sign) and they have a big nut to crack. 10 million for the place??!! that is a lot of money to make back. Their pockets are deep, but I don't think they can sit here and lose dollar after dollar.

Ryan Jaronik

Executive Chef

Monkey Town

NYC

Your point is a good one. But I don't think eGullet (nor Dish, nor Chicago magazine) has the power to doom any restaurant any more than we have the ability to make it a success. I have praised numerous restaurants in print and online over the years only to see them go out of business for whatever reasons. On the flipside, I have ripped plenty of popular restaurants that damn well deserved it, only to see them thriving like they always did.

BTW: I like all of the restaurants mentioned on this thread, and would be saddened to see any of them close. That doesn't mean it's not interesting to speculate on this stuff. Besides, what kind of sheep would avoid a restaurant just because someone posted a message predicting (or perhaps hoping for) its demise? I sure wouldn't.