• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

djyee100

djyee100

As Smithy said, sorry you had to wait so long for a response. You've asked a big question, and it takes time to mull it over a bit.

How about going to the store and talking to a sales person? A good vendor can point you to wines that will pair well with the food you want to serve, and also match your tastes. A good sales person has tasted many of the wines, and will come up with the best bottle for your needs within your price range.

I've known my wine vendor for almost two decades, and my brilliant method for selecting wines means walking into his store and asking for his help.

Does the Majestic store offer a free tasting before you buy a bottle? That will help you avoid some wines you can't stand. Remember, when you taste many wines at once, you're not expected to swallow them all and get drunk. Ask for a spit glass and use it.

If for some reason you want to look outside the vendor for advice, are there any winetasting groups, societies, or even classes in your area? Someone from those groups might be willing to help you choose your wines.

French wines can be fantastic, but don't automatically assume those wines are the "best," to the exclusion of others. (I realize French people will give me an argument about this.) The world of wine is huge. There are some great Italian and Spanish wines out there that I wouldn't want to do without (sangiovese, pinot grigio, rioja). And don't forget the Australian and Californian fruit bombs that go so well with grilled food. People tell me the South African wines are beginning to make their mark, but I haven't tasted enough of them to form an opinion.

I eyeballed the list on your link. First of all, I noticed some famous names on the list, like Chateauneuf-du-Pape and St. Emilion Grand Cru. When wines from these great vineyards go on sale, that means the wine is from an off-year vintage. There's a flaw or two or three in the wine that's not keeping with its usual standard. The bottle may still be very nice and drinkable, but don't expect it to be an example of the best these vineyards have to offer.

I noticed Cotes de Rhone wines on the list, among my faves for a value wine. The wines are consistently good in my experience, and reasonably priced (and maybe that's why they're on the list also.) Loire white wines are another great value wine, IMO--the sauvignon blanc/sancerre wines, and also Italian pinot grigio white wines from the Alto Adige region.

I know you said you didn't like white wine. However, at your stage of winetasting, I recommend that you give white wines another chance. A good white burgundy/chardonnay, sauvignon blanc, or pinot grigio may change your mind about white wines. They are essential if you ever plan to pair wines with certain foods, like seafood. If some years down the road you become addicted to the pricier kinds of white burgundy, as I am, you'll know who to blame for giving you this advice. :wink:

Wine-cheese pairings are very flexible. It all depends on the wine and the cheese. Again, I suggest you consult your wine vendor and name the cheese or the types of cheese you want to pair. Your vendor may suggest various wines to go with various cheeses, and before you know it, you'll have a wine and cheese tasting party ready to go.

IMO, wine goes best with food, and should be paired with food. It's not like the madeira and cognac you're more used to, that you can drink by itself. Wine is usually tart to enliven the palate while you're eating some fatty appetizers or a rich dinner. So keep that in mind. I wonder if this is the reason you haven't liked wine before.

Also, it sounds like you are not going to cellar these wines, but drink them within a year or so. Let your vendor know that--you want wines that are drinkable now.

Over the years I've learned about wine from my vendor's free email newsletter and the regular tastings he holds at his store for a reasonable fee. If you want to learn more about wine, I suggest you look for these opportunities in your area.

good luck with that case of wine!

djyee100

djyee100

As Smithy said, sorry you had to wait so long for a response. You've asked a big question, and it takes time to mull it over a bit.

How about going to the store and talking to a sales person? A good vendor can point you to wines that will pair well with the food you want to serve, and also match your tastes. A good sales person has tasted many of the wines, and will come up with the best bottle for your needs within your price range.

I've known my wine vendor for almost two decades, and my brilliant method for selecting wines means walking into his store and asking for his help.

Does the Majestic store offer a free tasting before you buy a bottle? That will help you avoid some wines you can't stand. Remember, when you taste many wines at once, you're not expected to swallow them all and get drunk. Ask for a spit glass and use it.

If for some reason you want to look outside the vendor for advice, are there any winetasting groups, societies, or even classes in your area? Someone from those groups might be willing to help you choose your wines.

French wines can be fantastic, but don't automatically assume those wines are the "best," to the exclusion of others. (I realize French people will give me an argument about this.) The world of wine is huge. There are some great Italian and Spanish wines out there that I wouldn't want to do without (sangiovese, pinot grigio, rioja). And don't forget the Australian and Californian fruit bombs that go so well with grilled food. People tell me the South African wines are beginning to make their mark, but I haven't tasted enough of them to form an opinion.

I eyeballed the list on your link. First of all, I noticed some famous names on the list, like Chateauneuf-du-Pape and St. Emilion Grand Cru. When wines from these great vineyards go on sale, that means the wine is from an off-year vintage. There's a flaw or two or three in the wine that's not keeping with its usual standard. The bottle may still be very nice and drinkable, but don't expect it to be an example of the best these vineyards have to offer.

I noticed Cotes de Rhone wines on the list, among my faves for a value wine. The wines are consistently good in my experience, and reasonably priced (and maybe that's why they're on the list also.) Loire white wines are another great value wine, IMO--the sauvignon blanc/sancerre wines, and also Italian pinot grigio white wines from the Alto Adige region.

I know you said you didn't like white wine. However, at your stage of winetasting, I recommend that you give white wines another chance. A good white burgundy/chardonnay, sauvignon blanc, or pinot grigio may change your mind about white wines. They are essential if you ever plan to pair wines with certain foods, like seafood. If some years down the road you become addicted to the pricier kinds of white burgundy, as I am, you'll know who to blame for giving you this advice. :wink:

Wine-cheese pairings are very flexible. It all depends on the wine and the cheese. A big red wine with strong tannins can pair with a triple creme cheese--the fat in the cheese will temper the tannins. Again, I suggest you consult your wine vendor and name the cheese or the types of cheese you want to pair. Your vendor may suggest various wines to go with various cheeses, and before you know it, you'll have a wine and cheese tasting party ready to go.

IMO, wine goes best with food, and should be paired with food. It's not like the madeira and cognac you're more used to, that you can drink by itself. Wine is usually tart to enliven the palate while you're eating some fatty appetizers or a rich dinner. So keep that in mind. I wonder if this is the reason you haven't liked wine before.

Also, it sounds like you are not going to cellar these wines, but drink them within a year or so. Let your vendor know that--you want wines that are drinkable now.

Over the years I've learned about wine from my vendor's free email newsletter and the regular tastings he holds at his store for a reasonable fee. If you want to learn more about wine, I suggest you look for these opportunities in your area.

good luck with that case of wine!