• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I only like dry wines.

Rebel Rose

There certainly does seem to be a phobia about sweet wines. While Red's are my main choice, I'll sell them down the river any time for a fine desert wine. Even when it comes to whites I prefer the sweet ones. I'll take a nice Muscat Canelli (I very much enjoy Concannon's ) over a Chardonnay on most occasions. It just does seem so odd that people don't give them a chance.

As to the term Dry? I've always hated that term myself. Anyhow, off topic what exactly is its definition?

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo

DoverCanyon - thanks for the interesting info.  Toasted pips - do you really toast them to add something to a super-fruity wine like a Zin?  Mabye a bit of extra structure?

Michael M, 'toasted' is simply a word we use to indicate that the seeds, or pips, have matured fully. When a grape is completely ripe and balanced, one of the signs we look for are seeds that are brown and toasty. They should crunch between our teeth with a pleasant pop and a flavor like nuts or popcorn. If the grape looks ripe and has high sugar, but the seeds are still green and bitter, it indicates that the grapes are out of balance, and we could have a problem with an acid-to-pH balance. Another problem might be that an otherwise deep and fruity wine will have astringent, 'green' tannins instead of soft, cinnamon-like tannin. This is one of the, ahem, scientific methods we use in the field, and again when the grapes arrive at the winery. (Who can resist a handful?) Before harvest, however, we also gather clusters from various parts of each vineyard and test them in the lab to evaluate them mainly for balance.

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook