• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pyrat "Cask 23"

Jason Perlow

Ed.... I have not been to Cane Garden Bay for five years and Callwoods Distillery has certainly

not been functioning for a few years before that .Taken out in a hurricane, the various parts

of the still can be found in the bush.

The BVI government should either fix it as a heritage site or take it off their tourist maps

and information. What Michael Callwood is doing is buying young rum from Carioni,Trinidad,

then working on it. Rums are stored in carboy jars. This rum was still very young and bottled

in bottles that people have previously returned, could be a brandy or a gin bottle.

The other Callwood Rum 'factory' makes a spiced rum similar to Sint Maartens 'Gauverberry

licqueur' or a 'Saba Spice licqueur'

Pussers Roadtown Tortola, by the way had a big fire, again some years ago. Which was also

about the time that they then decided to have a blending, bottleing and distribution contract

with Jim Beam Brands. I believe that no Rums from Trinidad, Guyana, etc or the other places

to make up the six rum blend, ever touch Roadtown, but go to Kentucky for blending and further

treatment. then when bottled, is distributed back to the islands and elsewhere. Anyway in the

big fire the "Old Stocks" were seen running down the street and being sponged up into any

container available....

So the Story goes........ I have a letter from Pussers that gives me the date of the fire but they

have been evasive as to the track of the rum and the production. I do know that Pussers Canada

is bulk shipped then Married(blended) and bottled in Montreal, Quebec.

All this information, I have put together from various sources...... But I can not verify !!.

But It goes back to what one reads between the lines on rum lables. You cannot believe every

thing you read. Thats why we need our forum members to ask the questions when at the

sourse, to get the information directly from the distillers, dont just believe salesmen either.

Then to report back to the Forum with valid information usefull to all. The Forum cannot expect Ed

to know everything. As he does not get back to some of his sources for a few years since he wrote

his books were writen........... Fires and Hurricanes do happen !......

John Reekie......always RUMSEARCHING.