• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pyrat "Cask 23"

Jason Perlow

Is'>http://www.internetwines.com/rws20509.html

Is

this actually worth nearly 300 dollars a bottle or is this all marketing b.s.?

if its been aged for more than 30 years, I could see it being valuable but other than that...

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I had an opportunity to try this rum in Anguilla before it was available to the public. I can honestly say that it is #### good rum. But $300 is a lot of money in anyone's book.

There are a lot of costs to market a niche product like this but if you spend that kind of money you'll probably be the only one on your block with a bottle.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

I almost bought a bottle of Appleton 250th anniversary rum when I was in jamaica this year, the hotel I was at had a single bottle of it at its cigar store. It was nearly 300 dollars a bottle as well.

Somehow, I think my wife would have gone ballistic had I purchased that one.

I decided to go on an austerity budget and get two bottles of the 21 year old instead... :biggrin:

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

If I am not mistaken, a friend of mine won one of those e-auctions for I believe it was a 50 yr anniversary bottle of Appleton's. Paid something like 贶.00. Was worth every dollar!

Ed are you still in the US? Will be near Culebra as of Tuesday (14th) night (Maunabo...light house area). I believe Jason will be on the island also around this time. Would like to meet you both personally. Going down there with my MOR cap and shirt to evangelize the masses to the ministry.

YoHoHo

Ed please do tell about these new rums.... premium I hope?

Quote: from Ed Hamilton on 11:30 am on Aug. 14, 2001

I wish I was going to be in Culebra, but I am in Chicago for a few months while I do some research on some new rums that are coming to the market.

Cheers, and have a Barrilito for me.

Barrilito is a small company that blends rum from one of the major distillers with their own secret blend of spices and juices. this blend is aged at nearly bottled strength for at least six years and up to twelve years.

There are only two labels, 2 and 3 star. don't miss it while you are in Puerto Rico. Barrilito is also available in the states in limited areas. Check my site for some of the places where it is available.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

I really didn't think it was that expensive. Is that a US based price, or are we talking about an overseas price? Reason I ask is that a friend of mine recently saw Havana Club 15 in Canada for around 贶 US. I have been told that it's somewhere in the neighborhood of โ to ๛ in Cuba, and my thought was that it would in fact be around 贶 in Canada (when and if available). I thought the Pyrat Cask 23 wasn't that expensive (meaning 跌). So - US or overseas price?   Eric

We have some of the Pyrat 23 at work, but even with my employee discount (which is cost btw) it still comes to around 趚. As you might immagine I'm not expecting to try any soon. How does it compare to the pistol? And what is comprable in taste and not in price?

Had a good day rum hunting today in the San Francisco area -- found a bottle of Pyrat XO and a Mount Gay Extra old, as well as a 1983 vintage rum from Jamaica from a lesser-known producer.

Really looking forward to trying the Pyrat XO when I get home.

There are a number of vintage rums from Jamaica that have been aged in Scotland and other places, I'm interested in hearing your impressions. Sometimes since these are from one year and not blends they can be a little pale in depth, but you never know until you try them. Sounds like you had a good day rum hunting in one of my favorite cities.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

Well, the objective was to try and find a lone bottle of RZ Centenario thinking that I would have better luck in California than NY/NJ, since the importer is in California, but no such luck yet. I do have some inquries in at the local stores here, so if they can get any at all they will call and ship to me.

Jason - the US importer was actually based out of Florida. California may have had a distributor, who handled this rum. If you'd like, I can check for you as the (now former) importer is an aquaintence of mine. Shoot me an e-mail.

Eric

The 83 that I picked up at Beverages and More here in the SF area was a Plantation 1983 vintage. Should be good.

Quote: from Ed Hamilton on 11:06 pm on Aug. 24, 2001

There are a number of vintage rums from Jamaica that have been aged in Scotland and other places, I'm interested in hearing your impressions. Sometimes since these are from one year and not blends they can be a little pale in depth, but you never know until you try them. Sounds like you had a good day rum hunting in one of my favorite cities.

• 1 year later...
Really looking forward to trying the Pyrat XO when I get home.

Jason,

The XO is one of my all time favorite rums. It is comparable to the Pistol, but simply better in all aspects. I find that the Pistol is a little too sweet on the long run, and not as "refined" as the XO.

BTW, how did you like the XO, how does it compare to others you like?

Has anyone tried the XO and The Cask 23? I am wondering how much better it can get than the XO?

Cheers

"Traveler, you who sail into the Caribbean in silvered yacht or gilded cruise ship, pause as you enter these waters to remember that deep below rest three men of honor who helped determine the history of this onetime Spanish Lake: Sir John Hawkins, builder of the English navy; Sir Francis Drake, conqueror of all known seas; Admiral Ledesma, stubborn enhancer of his king's prerogatives and the interests of his own strong family"

James A. Michener - Caribbean

The XO is nice (I tried it since last August, obviously) but its a pretty pricey rum for a 6 year old.

6 year old? I have read various reports that it's a blend of rums from 8 to 40 years. I wonder what is right? I cannot find where I saw it listed as upto 40 YO blend.

"Traveler, you who sail into the Caribbean in silvered yacht or gilded cruise ship, pause as you enter these waters to remember that deep below rest three men of honor who helped determine the history of this onetime Spanish Lake: Sir John Hawkins, builder of the English navy; Sir Francis Drake, conqueror of all known seas; Admiral Ledesma, stubborn enhancer of his king's prerogatives and the interests of his own strong family"

Not trying to sell it but It is worth every penny. I have tried it about 5 or 6 times and it is amazing. It is definitely a special occasion rum. the nose fills up a room. It is smooth as silk with this amazing caramel and fruit finish. It would be like the Pyrat XO on steriods, if you have ever tasted that. You really don't need to drink it, just smell it all night.

A few years ago I was at the blending plant in Anguilla where Pyrat rums are blended and bottled and had the opportunity to taste the Pyrat Cask 23 blend.

While the XO blend is a little heavy on an orange component, the Cask 23 was a much richer spirit. Deep amber color from the blend of aged rums. The aroma was well balanced and the taste was divine. Smooth, well mannered and definitely a premium rum. As a writer, I would have a hard time justifying that much money but, then it is special rum. Is it worth $300 a bottle? Well that depends on who I'm trying to impress.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

Here we go, it took me a while to locate one of the sources that states that the XO is a blend of nine rums from 8 to 40 years. An excerpt from; www.nightclub.com

Pyrat X.O. Reserve Rum

Introduced in 1998, Pyrat X.O. Reserve is made from a blend of nine, well-aged alembic rums. These barrel-aged spirits were obtained from seven distillers throughout the Caribbean, then further matured in custom, 55-gallon French oak barrels according to the Solera aging system. The nine rums in the blend have a range in age from eight to 40 years. Pyrat X.O. Reserve is a marvelous treat from start to finish. Pyrat Cask 23 Rum is crafted from the same blend of nine, barrel-aged alembic rums as the X.O. Reserve, although the rums are used in different proportions. The rums are Solera aged and range in age from eight to 40 years. This luxurious, thoroughly engaging rum is brimming with high-ester character and taste. Only three thousand hand-blown, cork-finished bottles (750 milliliter) are produced each year at a price tag of $250.

I will try to locate the other sources.

Dan

I've tried all afternoon NOT to respond to the last post but can't help myself any longer. I can't recall seven alembic (pot) stills that were operating in the Caribbean in the last fifteen years, unless I include one in Martinique and the one in Cane Garden Bay, Tortola, which hasn't exported any rum for a very long time. But since everyone knows that pot still rum is the best, don't we?, only pot still rum would do for a rum that costs $250 a bottle.

This reminds me of the Pusser's label that claims that their rum is a blend of rums from Guyana, Trinidad and Tortola British Virgin Islands. When I contacted Jim Beam Brands and asked which distillery in the BVIs made their esteemed rum, I was told that the Tortola,BVI rum was from "old stocks." Maybe that's what made it so special! To my knowledge there hasn't been a distillery operating on Tortola besides the Callwood distillery for at least the last twenty years, and my bet is that it has been a lot longer than that.

But Cask 23 is good rum.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

Where else but on eGullet can you acquire this type of information? NOWHERE!

I sent an email to them from the Pyrat site about 2 weeks ago inquiring about the age and blend of their rums, both the XO and the 23. Well it has been 2 weeks and still no response. I don't think that they will ever answer.