• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good Lamb Tongue Recipes?

Stone

Just in the middle of preparing some lamb’s tongues which I plan to chill, slice and make up as sandwiches with mustard.

Last time I brined the tongues for 24 hours, soaked them and then boiled for 90 minutes with some aromatics, but the tongue was tough. I presume it was overcooked. I have seen recipes giving time for boiling lamb’s tongue for as little as 45 minutes and others for longer.

I’d like to find the best conditions for cooking lamb’s tongue sous vide in a water bath.

I’m guessing that tongue will be less full of connective tissue than say pig’s head (cooked at 68C for 36 hours) or pig’s ears (85C for 36 hours), but I have no benchmark for timing or temperature.

Any ideas?

We ate cow's tongue when I was a kid (raised German/Ukrainian), so it was no big deal.

Prepared in a pressure cooker with cloves, salt, pepper, onion, bay leaf. Peeled, then sliced.

Quite yummy.  Still do it on occasion.

eta: forgot the bay leaf

Forget sous vide. Pressure cooker, people!

Edited by crinoidgirl (log)

V