• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Malt Whisky

ctgm

I was going through my cellar over the weekend and checked what whiskies I had. I seemed to have rather more than I thought (as a legacy of working at my last company) and was wondering what everyone else has at the moment. For what it's worth here is what I have (most of which are independantly bottled)

Ardbeg 1973

Ardbeg 1974

Ardbeg 29yo

Benrinnes 17yo

Blair Athol 1975

Bowmore 25yo

Bruichladdich 11yo

Caol Ila 23yo

Carsebridge 33yo (grain)

Glen Albyn 19yo

Glen Albyn 1965

Glencadam 1971

Glenfarclas 1981

Glenglassaugh 22yo

Glenturret 1965

Highland Park 8yo

Imperial 1976

Isle of Jura 30yo

Laphroaig 15yo

Macallan 10yo

Macallan 1974

Royal Brackla 18yo

Springbank 8yo

I was going through my cellar over the weekend and checked what whiskies I had. I seemed to have rather more than I thought (as a legacy of working at my last company) and was wondering what everyone else has at the moment. For what it's worth here is what I have (most of which are independantly bottled)

Ardbeg 1973

Ardbeg 1974

Ardbeg 29yo

Benrinnes 17yo

Blair Athol 1975

Bowmore 25yo

Bruichladdich 11yo

Caol Ila 23yo

Carsebridge 33yo (grain)

Glen Albyn 19yo

Glen Albyn 1965

Glencadam 1971

Glenfarclas 1981

Glenglassaugh 22yo

Glenturret 1965

Highland Park 8yo

Imperial 1976

Isle of Jura 30yo

Laphroaig 15yo

Macallan 10yo

Macallan 1974

Royal Brackla 18yo

Springbank 8yo

ctgm,

You have a very impressive collection. :rolleyes: I doubt if you will be able to lay your hands on some of these again.

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

Wow! That is some list. I have so little it can't even be called a "collection"!

Macallan single cask

Highland Park (12 yr?)

Recently had some gorgeous Cragganmore 12 that is top of my "to buy" list now.

"What, after all, is more seductive than the prospect of sinning in libraries?"

Michael Dirda, An Open Book

This is from memory, but I don't think I'm leaving anything out-

Benriach

Bowmore Legend (2 bottles)

Bowmore 12

Dalwhinnie

Glenmorangie Port Wood Finish

Glenlivet 12

Lagavullin 16

Laphroaig 15

Macallan 12 (2 bottles)

Macallan 18 (2 bottles)

Oban 14 (2 bottles)

I like to keep a good cross section of styles around (Cardhu and Talisker recently bit the dust), though truth be told I go through my Islays at about double the rate of the others. Some of these are also down to their last dram or two so they won't be around much longer.

I was recently at a tasting and was suitably impressed with the Aberlour 10 so that one is probably next on the list. It is getting to be the right time of year for it...

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

ctgm,

You have a very impressive collection.  :rolleyes: I doubt if you will be able to lay your hands on some of these again.

I used to work for a Far Eastern company in their UK office. I started off doing wine but found myself going over to the whisky side of things. Some of these are our own bottlings and some are samples from another independent. There are 4 or 5 that are distillery. Without blowing my trumpet some of our bottlings fetured very highly in Whisky Magazine (getting over 9 out of 10). The Ardbeg 29yo was very well thought of and I seem to have 2 bottles but unfortunately I know that 1 is a fake (different colour). hopefully it will be something drinkable!

The parent company wanted to taste a lot of the independent's bottlings so we got 70cl bottles sent to us. We forwarded 5cls for tasting leaving the rest for us!!!

I'm a Lagavulin man, so - natch - I've a bottle of '16' on the shelf.

Imagine my surprise when, milling around aimlessly at CDG after the Paris vaco, I find...

Lagavulin 1987 Distillers Edition; Double Matured (4/491)

Haven't opened it; waiting for snow...

I love duty free in Paris.

~waves

"When you look at the face of the bear, you see the monumental indifference of nature. . . . You see a half-disguised interest in just one thing: food."

Werner Herzog; NPR interview about his documentary "Grizzly Man"...

The requisites

Lagavulin

Cragganmore

Dalwhinnie

Glenkinchie

Oban

Talisker

Dalmore 12

Aberlour 10 and 21

Macallan 18

Glenlivet 21

Glenmorangie 15

Some odd balls like Strathisla and Campbeltown 21

Bottle I’d most like to get my hands on

Clynelish 20

I’ve been getting into rums lately

Waves2ya,

The Lagavulin 1987 Double Distilled is a shade under the "standard" 16 YO. Retains most of the peatiness but is somehow rougher around the edges. The Lagavulin 16 YO is a more complete malt.

Ellen,

If you are picking up Cragganmore, make sure you also lay your hands on the 16YO (Distillers Edition). A truly remarkable malt. I frequently refer to Cragganmore as the most under-rated malt.

I have just opened a bottle of Bushmills 10 YO Malt. Rather metallic and just not up my street.

Need to get back to my Bowmores!

The Lagavulin 1987 Double Distilled is a shade under the "standard" 16 YO. Retains most of the peatiness but is somehow rougher around the edges. The Lagavulin 16 YO is a more complete malt.

Huh.

Well, there you have it. Will still post a tasting note when we get to snow around here; it's martini's tonight (slo grilled red snapper stuffed w/ fennel; Alsatian Riesling).

Bought a Martell Cognac VO Supreme at the same time (didn't chk for a cognac thread).

I hate duty free - I always spend my money...!

~waves

"When you look at the face of the bear, you see the monumental indifference of nature. . . . You see a half-disguised interest in just one thing: food."

Werner Herzog; NPR interview about his documentary "Grizzly Man"...

Being a single malt newbie, I haven't had many. I've had Dalwinnie, Aberlour, and Macallan. The Macallan stands out in my mind as being one I truly enjoyed. I like the Aberlour and appreciate its relative value pricewise.

I would like to expand my knowledge and experience of single malt Scotches. My thought is to try some out at places specializing in serving single malts. What 3 or 4 would you recommend to broaden my horizons and get me started on some more adventurous tasting?

Sacred cows make the best hamburger.

- Mark Twain, 1835 - 1910

Given that you liked Macallan, I would recommend you try Highland Park.

Cardhu and Bowmore would be next on the list.

If you like Bowmore, do let us know. Will recommend some of the other "heavies".

Was going through another part of the cellar and found a few more of these "sample" bottles.

1991 Springbank

1989 Clynelish

1989 Bowmore

1972 Bowmore

We were at one stage over run with cask samples so we made up a pure malt "blend" (ie pour everything in). I found the Islay blend and think that I might tuck into that next. Had whiskies from 1965-1990. I think that there are 14 or 15 different ones in there. Will be interesting to see how it goes!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I am much impressed by ctgm's initial list. Wow. Wish I had that kind of reserves in my collection.

At the moment I have the following on hand:

Caol Ila 1990 (unchillfiltered)

Cragganmore 12

Glendronach 15 (sherry finish)

Glenmorangie 12 (sherry finish)

Glenmorangie 18

Lagavulin 16

Macallan 1990 (unchillfiltered)

Recently while in Toronto I managed to stop by a pub called "Feathers" down near the Beaches area of the city. It has a reported 430 single malts in stock, many of them privately imported. I tried out the following:

Auchentoshan 21 yr. Cask Strength

Bowmore Dusk

Bunnahabhain 10 yr.

Cragganmore Doublewood 1984

Edradour Cask Strength 1976

Highland Park Cask Strength 1988 (sherry finish)

Macallan (Speymalt) 1978

Mortlach Cask Strength 1980