• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

(Cuban) Rum Rundown

• 1 month later...

Greetings,

I've tryed four true Cuban rums, Matusalem, Santiago, Caney and Caribbean Club.  They are in a class of their own, minus the Ron Caney.  I have 38 individual rums in my collection, including all of the "heavy hitters" like; Ron Zacapa Centenario, Pomparo Anaversario, Santa Teresa 1796 Solera, Ron Zaya, El Dorado 15 year old, Cruzan Single Barrel, Flor de Cana Centenario 12 Year Old...

Matusalem Anejo Superior is by far my favorite.  Folowed by a close second, Ron Santiago De Cuba.

Cheers

"Traveler, you who sail into the Caribbean in silvered yacht or gilded cruise ship, pause as you enter these waters to remember that deep below rest three men of honor who helped determine the history of this onetime Spanish Lake: Sir John Hawkins, builder of the English navy; Sir Francis Drake, conqueror of all known seas; Admiral Ledesma, stubborn enhancer of his king's prerogatives and the interests of his own strong family"

James A. Michener - Caribbean

Dan -- The Matusalem you refer to, the 12 year old rum, is my all-time favorite. I have heard that it is no longer being produced, but have heard conflicting reports. Havana Club 7 is perhaps my "everyday" rum, with Havana Club 15 being reserved for more special occasions. I tried Caney many years ago (I am not sure which one), and although I don't remember it, I did like it.

As far as the non-Cuban rums -- Ron Zacapa Centenario . . . 'nuff said. I have not tried many others of the high-end or rare rums but Ron Z is just fantastic. I have a few from Nicarugua that I am getting ready to try. A freind just brought some back for me.

Eric

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings,

Great post Bolivar.  Very informative article.  But, I think that they got the tasting down pretty well, except for... wait a second... [flame suit]except for the exaggerated Havana Club comments[/flame suit].

I like Havana Club, but there are much better rums out there, not only Cuban... like; Cruzan Single Barrel, Pomparo Aniversario, Santa Teresa 1796 Solera and of course Zacapa Centenario.

Of course it all boils down to your individual taste.  That's what makes the world so interesting and exciting.  If we all liked the same thing, I don't think there'd be a forum on the topic... right wink2.gif

They liked Matusalem Anejo Superior (my all time favorite) the best in the Premium category and Ron Santiago 45th (I have the 12 year old and it's my second fav) and the HC Grand Reserva in Super Premium (I can only dream).  Varadero 7 Year Old and Caribbean Club 7 Year Old (my 3rd fav) both came out strong in the Anejo category.  Which also makes sense.

Those mentioned above are some of the best rums in the world.  I'm headed back to Havana this summer and I'm feverishly counting the days....

Cheers

"Traveler, you who sail into the Caribbean in silvered yacht or gilded cruise ship, pause as you enter these waters to remember that deep below rest three men of honor who helped determine the history of this onetime Spanish Lake: Sir John Hawkins, builder of the English navy; Sir Francis Drake, conqueror of all known seas; Admiral Ledesma, stubborn enhancer of his king's prerogatives and the interests of his own strong family"

So is anyone going to the festival in Cuba or is having a friend go? I hope that the stores stocked up on that wonderful drink. No.... I'm not going but do have a close friend going and I recon that he will bring me back some if not all of my favorites; Ron Matasalem Anejo, HC 15, Varadero 7yr and Ron Santiago 45. The HC15 I have never tried and the Varadero 7 I have never had my own bottle (only had a glass at a rum bar). Didn't ask for the Carr.Club7......if I did I'm sure he would get it too and having a friend bring all this back (for me) would make me feel guilty.

Thanks BPC I just gave my friend the site on CA and said that is my wish list. My friend is starting to get into this good rum also so he like the link to CA also.

cj

cj,

When is the Cuban festival?  I've planned to go back to Cuba this summer, but if there's a rum fest... I could always get there sooner.

Thanks

Thanks CJ for the info, but that's way too soon for me.  Enjoy those fabulous rums your friend will be bringing back for you.  You sure are lucky...

Dan

CJ and others .

Just before your friend rushes off to Cuba. Here is a Mystery Adventure --There was a rum that I heard about from a book by James A Michener; 'Seven days in Havana'. When he was researching for his book -"Caribbean". This secondary book talked about the research in 1988, that Mitchener was doing,  where he comes across a building in El Cerro (I think) with 'Boyoy" over the door,and a row of cast swans as a balcony railing(see chapter heading illustaration in the "Caribbean".  On further investigating and knocking on the door, he goes on to say that he had found  -"La Famosa Destilleria Boycoy", and was then introduced by the lone manager, to a card board box printed like a treasure chest and it contained a sphearical pottery bottle -"La Isla del Tesoro" (Treasure Island),  He was then informed  -"That we make a little of this each year - Gifts for important people like generals and today you are a general".

Now some years later having not heard about 'Boycoy',in cuba. Other than its name crops up in Puerto Rico sometimes, so I thought that they had moved there.  But it was just recently that I read in a travelogue,for Americans traveling in Canadian cruise ships. That states that part of their tours is to "The Boycoy Distillery". But I could not check the travelouge's reference and a have forgotten where it was on the web.

I would like to know if anybody knows about "Boycoy Destileria" and what rums they have.

Cj ask you friend to inguire, when he gets to Cuba, he might just find an old bottle in a treasure chest marked -"La Isla del Tesoro" on a dusty back shelf in old Havana!

EDD do you know anything about  "La Isla Del Tesoro"

CJ and others .

Just before your friend rushes off to Cuba. Here is a Mystery Adventure --There was a rum that I heard about from a book by James A Michener; 'Seven days in Havana'. When he was researching for his book -"Caribbean". This secondary book talked about the research in 1988, that Mitchener was doing,  where he comes across a building in El Cerro (I think) with 'Boyoy" over the door,and a row of cast swans as a balcony railing(see chapter heading illustaration in the "Caribbean".  On further investigating and knocking on the door, he goes on to say that he had found  -"La Famosa Destilleria Boycoy", and was then introduced by the lone manager, to a card board box printed like a treasure chest and it contained a sphearical pottery bottle -"La Isla del Tesoro" (Treasure Island),  He was then informed  -"That we make a little of this each year - Gifts for important people like generals and today you are a general".

Now some years later having not heard about 'Boycoy',in cuba. Other than its name crops up in Puerto Rico sometimes, so I thought that they had moved there.  But it was just recently that I read in a travelogue,for Americans traveling in Canadian cruise ships. That states that part of their tours is to "The Boycoy Distillery". But I could not check the travelouge's reference and a have forgotten where it was on the web.

I would like to know if anybody knows about "Boycoy Destileria" and what rums they have.

Cj ask you friend to inguire, when he gets to Cuba, he might just find an old bottle in a treasure chest marked -"La Isla del Tesoro" on a dusty back shelf in old Havana!

EDD do you know anything about  "La Isla Del Tesoro"

I'll have him ask about La Famosa Destilleria Boycoy. If I understand you right they might not be in production anymore right? And if they are it will no doubt be a small & quiet distillery. And that they might have moved to Puertor Rico. Are you think that they fled Cuba back when others did?

with words like "Treasuse Island" and sayings like "you might find a old bottle in a treasure chest" I really feel like we are on a treasure hunt!!! hahaha

would La Isla del Tesoro be the name of the rum not the maker? and what about does that say in english anyone?(treasure island)

cj

Greetings,

I came home from work tonight to an amazing surprise.  A friend of my wife's has just gotten back from Cuba, and little did I know she had a surprise planned for me.

She asked this friend to bring back 2 Cuban rums for me.  Isn't she great.  She told her friend to get Matusalem Anejo Superior and Santiago de Cuba Anejo (she sure knows her stuff... I wonder why?!?!?!).

Well, to make a long story short... I did get the two before mentioned bottles... but... she got the Matusalem mixed up and I got the Carta Blanca (a light yellow "cocktail" rum eek3.gif )

Too bad, the Anejo Superior is my all time favorite, but the Santiago is amazing similar and an extremely close second.  I'll just have to have a Mojito party next Saturday with the Carta Blanca

BTW, the Santiago I'm having right now is simply exquisite.

I'll let you guys know what I think of the Matusalem Carta Blanca soon.

Cheers to all fine rums out there...

Hello all, new to this board.  Great read, thanks.  Although I'm not sure if I agree with CA's tasting on HC3.  For me, it has a flavor that's a bit off, almost paint thinner like.  Slightly bitter and not sweet enough I suppose.  I guess it's because I enjoy the smokey/woody/slightly sweet flavors of a good Scotch or Cognac that turned me off on the HC3.  Maybe I should just mix it with some Coke next time.  

Never had HC7, HC Anejo or any of the other darker, aged stuff, although I'd love to try them if I could only get them.  Thought about buying a bottle of HC7 recently, but the price was just too much...$50!  Any tasting notes anyone?

I've got friends headed to the island end of this week, will be curious to see what's available, I hear HC15 is scarce. I'll be there in May. In the states I'm just happy to see RzC again, Pampero Anni and have a newfound fondness for Ron Zaya and this last one seems to be relatively unknown.

I've heard epic stories about the Havana Matsusalem and also heard it's really hard to find and out or production.

Greetings All,

First off, welcome dhoffman to the forum.  It's a great place to be.

Second, I keep hearing of a rumor that Matusalem is discontinued and in those same rumors that I am hearing, people mention CUBA.  I do not think that the Cuban Matuslem is discontinued.  I will post it in a new thread so all can read it.  Click here to view it.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

BPC...... as a Cuban from Havana and a Michigan State University Graduate , I had hoped you would know some thing about   LA FAMOSA DESTILLERIA  BOYCOY and their  LA ISLA DEL TESORO RON.  Afterall it was writen about only as long ago as 1988. (14 years ago).

If you dont  have any information on this distillery or their rums, maybe sombody else  can help . See post above for more information re this ron..

John Reekie

BPC. ......My appology. I am not that familiar with US Universities logos,  and being from Canada I wrongly thought the big M was Michigan, Sorry.  And as to being Cuban ,you looked to be the most  experianced as to HC and maybe even CC in this forum.   Thats why I was addressing the question to you thinking that you knew every thing about Cuban Rum . Boycoy was still here after Ninteen Fifty Nine. as the Mitchiner book was writen in 1988.  

Anyway I hope some one has an answer so that I can add it to (or remove it from)  my list of "rums that have come and gone" no longer on the market,   but names people remember well.

john Reekie.

No, John, I'm a newbie to Cuban rum, but have emptied many bottles in the past about 21 months.

Two years ago, I thought Bacardi was rum.

Far from knowing everthing about Cuban, or any other rum, I'm eager to learn, which why I'm here.

On the other hand, I do post many threads, in order to stimulate conversation. :wink:

It was  from your profile that I thought you were Cuban (because of Location).Sorry.

But on the other hand what a wonderfull start to experiences in rum!  Its time to open your eyes gullet, nostrals. No rum is a bad rum, just different rum thats all.

On an Bahama Out Island some years back in the middle of the day, in a little Rum Shop, I was poured a large,  overproof, under aged, seethrough alcohol made from a cane product.  With a glass of suspect water (no ice) from a bucket.  The pourer waited for me and my friends to take a swig, to see our reaction. ..."HOW DE FIRE"... the pourer asked... " HOW DE FIRE".  As my freinds took a big swig and held it then swallowed followed be drowning the water!  With tastebuds and nostral smell sensors burnt ,nothing could be tasted for a few hours.

Anyway it was not a bad rum. It was different rum!.  The same as a cheap French argricol rum or a Brasilian rum , its just  preference and "location Location LOCATION"

So BPC... open your eyes, open your heart and explore the wonders of rum and when you older and many rums later and with many more  undicscoved!. Put away the prejuduces and try the next rum..... For when I die whats left of My Rum Colection will be enjoyed at my wake by anybody left & wants to come.  But I intend to go out sipping my last ...Special, Reserve, Domaine, Pot still, Extra Aged, Single Mark, Cognac finished, Fifty year old,Distilery bottled ........ I have not found it yet .. and thats why  I am ALWAYS RUMSEARCHING.

Nowadays I dont have time for How De Fire rum,  but finding a wonder full smooth lingering taste is the type of rum I buy nowadays  and as you can see by my discussions with Cj Bohl, I was searching ,he was buying,some of my Dream Rums..

BPC... You have had enough HC7.  keep some as reference,  

But try a B8,...elD15.... A2I ........etc.         ENJOY  

JOHN REEKIE