• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

(Cuban) Rum Rundown

Cheers to you John, nice speech.  I read your post as I was sipping a not so refined, but much enjoyed rum (Mount Gay Eclipse).

Dan

"Traveler, you who sail into the Caribbean in silvered yacht or gilded cruise ship, pause as you enter these waters to remember that deep below rest three men of honor who helped determine the history of this onetime Spanish Lake: Sir John Hawkins, builder of the English navy; Sir Francis Drake, conqueror of all known seas; Admiral Ledesma, stubborn enhancer of his king's prerogatives and the interests of his own strong family"

James A. Michener - Caribbean

John,  :biggrin: my profile also says me name is Bolivar Petit Corona...

As far as other rums, and opening my eyes, I've tried everything available locally, and do like B8, but not for how much they ask for it, now when I can by it in Florida, at Eglin Air Force Base Class VI, I buy all they have, B Anejo, as well as Pyrat, La Flor de Cana 5 & 7, and others not available locally.

Dan, Mount Gay doesn't do it for me, although available locally.  The only ones available locally I like, are Pussers' (see seperate thread), and Appleton's (see thread).  They are out :angry: of Appleton's, and are trying to get La Flor de Cana.  :sad:

• 9 months later...

Several of those rums arent being produced anymore, though. Most noteably the Matusalem Anejo Superior. Of which I am down to my last 2 bottles. :wacko:

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 5 months later...

Re: the previous post mentioning Pyrat and Pusser's rums.

Just for the record. These are not distillers. They are only blenders and bottlers. They buy rum by the barrell from distillers in other locations, put it in their own bottles, put their names on it, spend enormous amounts of money marketing their "brand" and then sell it.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that. More power to them if they get rich off it. But what happens when their rum suppliers change. Or if they decide to buy cheaper rum from someone else. Nothing on their label will change.

I'd prefer to buy from reputable firms that have been in business for years producing their own sugar cane, their own molasses, and their own rum.

IMHO,

Pierre

Texas

Good point Pierre, but there are some very good, well priced rums from blenders such as Goslings who've never distilled a drop of rum.

As for the mystery distillery in Cuba, Michener went there in the late eighties and the distillery was probably a blender who bottles local rum along with some local magic. It is highly unlikely that a small entrepeneur distillery would survive but people are blending their own rum everywhere in the islands.

Michener might have found a local blender but he is way off the mark on a couple of other points. Dark rum is not made from burnt molasses, all rum is clear when it leaves the still. And no selfrespecting Trini would ever drink Jamaican rum, especially during Carnival. Like most islanders they drink the local rum and Jamaican and Trinidad are at opposite ends of the spectrum.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.