• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vietnamnese name for charboiled pork

I am familiar with Vietnamese food but not the language. I went to a new Vietnamese/Chinese restaurant 2 days ago and intended to have some Banh Hoi with charboiled pork and Sugar Cane Shrimp. The menu was trilingual: Chinese, Vietnamese and English. I have a tendency to just read the Chinese portion... without reading the Vietnamese portion, I ended up ordering something not what I expected.

I know Banh Hoi is the name of the rice vermicelli. Many questions... would someone who's familiar with Vietnamese food or language help?

Nem Nuong: This turned out to be the ground pork ball. Which word means pork and which means ball? I want to order the sliced charboiled pork, what would be the name for that?

Tom Quet: This turned out to be a shrimp paste wrapped between two sheets of tofu skin. What's the Vietnamese for shrimp paste rolled on sugar cane?

Apparently Bahn Hoi and Bun are 2 different kinds of rice noodles, is that right? Is Bun a thicker one?

It seems that there are different Vietnamese word for beef: "Tai" in Pho Tai, "Bo" in Chow mein (Mi Xao Bo). Does Tai mean specifically raw beef?

Edited by hzrt8w (log)
W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

I know Banh Hoi is the name of the rice vermicelli.  Many questions... would someone who's familiar with Vietnamese food or language help?

Nem Nuong:   This turned out to be the ground pork ball.  Which word means pork and which means ball?  I want to order the sliced charboiled pork, what would be the name for that?

Tom Quet:   This turned out to be a shrimp paste wrapped between two sheets of tofu skin.  What's the Vietnamese for shrimp paste rolled on sugar cane?

Apparently Bahn Hoi and Bun are 2 different kinds of rice noodles, is that right?  Is Bun a thicker one?

It seems that there are different Vietnamese word for beef: "Tai" in Pho Tai, "Bo" in Chow mein (Mi Xao Bo).  Does Tai mean specifically raw beef?

Mrs PCL is Vietnamese and here are her translations for you:

Nem (small bits of meat, like ball-shaped) Nuong (grilled) - Pork is "Heo"

Without specifics we don't know what the sliced grilled pork is, but could be Suon Heo

Pho Tai refers to the raw beef yes. Sliced raw and cooked in the broth at service.

Bo is the generic name for beef.

Hope this helps.

Edited by PCL (log)

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

I am familiar with Vietnamese food but not the language.  I went to a new Vietnamese/Chinese restaurant 2 days ago and intended to have some Banh Hoi with charboiled pork and Sugar Cane Shrimp.  The menu was trilingual: Chinese, Vietnamese and English.  I have a tendency to just read the Chinese portion... without reading the Vietnamese portion, I ended up ordering something not what I expected.

I know Banh Hoi is the name of the rice vermicelli.  Many questions... would someone who's familiar with Vietnamese food or language help?

Nem Nuong:  This turned out to be the ground pork ball.  Which word means pork and which means ball?  I want to order the sliced charboiled pork, what would be the name for that?

Nem Nuong is typically ground pork, seasoned, rolled up and grilled. The sliced charboiled pork is called Thit Nuong, or Thit Heo Nuong.  Thit= generic word for meat, Heo=Pork, Nuong= Grilled.  Our adjectives tend to be after the noun, like in the Spanish language.  If they have Thit Bo Nhuong, this refers to grilled beef.

Tom Quet:  This turned out to be a shrimp paste wrapped between two sheets of tofu skin.  What's the Vietnamese for shrimp paste rolled on sugar cane?

Tom Quet = generic for shrimp that has been mascerated into a paste.  It can then be wrapped in tofu skin or wrapped in sugar cane. If it is wrapped around sugar cane its called Chao Tom.

Apparently Bahn Hoi and Bun are 2 different kinds of rice noodles, is that right?  Is Bun a thicker one?

Banh Hoi and Bun are both rice noodles.  Banh Hoi is much more fine and its eaten usually with ur Chao Tom, and rolled up in rice paper.  Bun is usually eaten in a bowl with some kind of thit nuong or chao tom and lettuce.

It seems that there are different Vietnamese word for beef: "Tai" in Pho Tai, "Bo" in Chow mein (Mi Xao Bo).  Does Tai mean specifically raw beef?Tai = raw.  In the sense of Pho, it does means raw beef.

Glad to help. Enjoy!

-Nhumi

I am familiar with Vietnamese food but not the language.  I went to a new Vietnamese/Chinese restaurant 2 days ago and intended to have some Banh Hoi with charboiled pork and Sugar Cane Shrimp.  The menu was trilingual: Chinese, Vietnamese and English.  I have a tendency to just read the Chinese portion... without reading the Vietnamese portion, I ended up ordering something not what I expected.

Nem Nuong:  This turned out to be the ground pork ball.  Which word means pork and which means ball?  I want to order the sliced charboiled pork, what would be the name for that?

Nem Nuong is typically ground pork, seasoned, rolled up and grilled. The sliced charboiled pork is called Thit Nuong, or Thit Heo Nuong.  Thit= generic word for meat, Heo=Pork, Nuong= Grilled.  Our adjectives tend to be after the noun, like in the Spanish language.  If they have Thit Bo Nhuong, this refers to grilled beef.

Tom Quet:  This turned out to be a shrimp paste wrapped between two sheets of tofu skin.  What's the Vietnamese for shrimp paste rolled on sugar cane?

Tom Quet = generic for shrimp that has been mascerated into a paste.  It can then be wrapped in tofu skin or wrapped in sugar cane. If it is wrapped around sugar cane its called Chao Tom.

Banh Hoi and Bun are both rice noodles.  Banh Hoi is much more fine and its eaten usually with ur Chao Tom, and rolled up in rice paper.  Bun is usually eaten in a bowl with some kind of thit nuong or chao tom and lettuce.

It seems that there are different Vietnamese word for beef: "Tai" in Pho Tai, "Bo" in Chow mein (Mi Xao Bo).  Does Tai mean specifically raw beef?Tai = raw.  In the sense of Pho, it does means raw beef.

Glad to help. Enjoy!

-Nhumi

Nhumi: Thanks a lot for your help!

Thit Nuong for charboiled pork slices and

Chao Tom for shrimp paste with sugar cane.

That's it! I remember reading these names before from a restaurant in Garden Grove. I am re-reading the menu again. Apparently this one in my neighborhood doesn't offer them. :sad:

I didn't realized that Bahn Hoi is supposed to be wrapped in rice papers.

Interesting enough, the waitress brought up a big bowl of hot water, and about a dozen sheets of dry rice papers. How are we supposed to do this? Do we soak the rice paper in the hot water until soft then use it for wrapping? Do we soak the paper one sheet at a time or take the whole stack?

Edited by hzrt8w (log)

Nhumi:  Thanks a lot for your help!

Thit Nuong for charboiled pork slices and

Chao Tom for shrimp paste with sugar cane.

That's it!  I remember reading these names before from a restaurant in Garden Grove.  I am re-reading the menu again.  Apparently this one in my neighborhood doesn't offer them.  :sad: 

I didn't realized that Bahn Hoi is supposed to be wrapped in rice papers.

Interesting enough, the waitress brought up a big bowl of hot water, and about a dozen sheets of dry rice papers.  How are we supposed to do this?  Do we soak the rice paper in the hot water until soft then use it for wrapping?  Do we soak the paper one sheet at a time or take the whole stack?

You are welcome. You soak it one at a time. Wait until it softens, and place lettuce and mint and whatever u like on it, and roll it up. You dont really have to roll them up, it can just be eaten dipped in the dipping sauce and eaten with the vegies separately.

-Nhumi

• 5 months later...

Banh = cake/dough/noodle

Hoi = to ask, but in this context it's for an engagement party

For some reason, Banh Hoi is served when there's an engagement party. The groom-to-be's family bring a whole roasted pork with skin crackling and after it has been cut up, you eat it with Banh Hoi. Since the Banh Hoi is thinner than most rice noodles, it can dry up quickly. That's why some people will drizzle some green onions lightly sauteed in oil on top.

When you eat a rice noodle based dish like Bun Thit Nuong (bbq pork), you can substitute Banh Hoi for the usual noddle. It doesn't work in a soup though because the Banh Hoi will just turn into mush.

It's like capellini vs spaghetti.

Personally I am a big fan of Banh Hoi. Banh Hoi with fish sauce mix and mint leaves = heaven.

Banh = cake/dough/noodle

Thank you for your explanations. Very glad to have you on board, baophac. We can ask you more about Vietnamese food items.

There are many Vietnamese/Chinese grocers/restaurants in Sacramento.

One of the items that I like very much from the Vietnamese deli is the fresh-made rice noodle wrapped with minced pork inside. They give you a small plastic cup of fish sauce/vinegar/sugar/lemon juice mix (with a bit of chili and shredded carrots) to go with it. For the life of me, I don't know what it is called. I can only pick them up from the counter and pay (or point and pay in some cases). Do you know the name of that rice noodles? (almost transparent)

• 2 weeks later...
Banh = cake/dough/noodle

One of the items that I like very much from the Vietnamese deli is the fresh-made rice noodle wrapped with minced pork inside. They give you a small plastic cup of fish sauce/vinegar/sugar/lemon juice mix (with a bit of chili and shredded carrots) to go with it. For the life of me, I don't know what it is called. I can only pick them up from the counter and pay (or point and pay in some cases). Do you know the name of that rice noodles? (almost transparent)

I'm not clear but do you mean pork rolled in rice paper ? If it is, then it could be a bunch of spring rolls. Can you post a photo ?

I think it's called "Banh Cuon"

This is a picture of it, is it the one ?

Yes, yes, yes! That's exactly it! Thank you for the name, guppymo.

Is there any meaning to the 2 words? I have seen "Banh" used very often, like in Banh Hoi. Does it mean rice noodle like products? And "Cuon"?