• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Old Sunday Night Search

LittleWing

So it's Sunday night again, the only night that my boyfriend and i both have off from work (yes, in restaurants) and we both love food and want to go out to dinner. Where can we go eat (and be home in time for "The Wire" :wink:)? The only reqs are that it is in the District (we have no car) and good. Alberto's and Ben's are nearby, and I love both, but pizza and cheese fries are getting tired - especially when those are our only after-work options! I want some good , delicious, interesting, not-too-expensive food! :teardrop-slowly-sliding-down-my-cheek:

So where do you all go to eat on Sundays?

Eat.Drink.DC.

...dining in the district...

Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch.

- Orson Welles

Thanks Mark, that's a great list... I love Cashion's and New Big Wong (thanks to John and Alex), and I've been wanting to try Ray's the Steaks for a while.

But I forgot to emphasize - nothing very expensive. I'm a twenty-something waitress. I go to the nice places, but only when I have some money to burn or its a special occasion. So, preferably something equal to or less than $60 for two people, not including wine and drinks.

Where is The Guards? And Ray's? Are they in the District or Metro-accessible or not too much cab fare from Adams Morgan/Columbia Heights?

Oh, and please include places that do carry-out (good quality carryout) for when I don't want to get out of my pajamas on my day off :biggrin:

Thank you people!

Eat.Drink.DC.

- Orson Welles

Thanks Mark, that's a great list... I love Cashion's and New Big Wong (thanks to John and Alex), and I've been wanting to try Ray's the Steaks for a while.

But I forgot to emphasize - nothing very expensive.  I'm a twenty-something waitress.  I go to the nice places, but only when I have some money to burn or its a special occasion.  So, preferably something equal to or less than $60 for two people, not including wine and drinks.

Where is The Guards? And Ray's?  Are they in the District or Metro-accessible or not too much cab fare from Adams Morgan/Columbia Heights?

Oh, and please include places that do carry-out (good quality carryout) for when I don't want to get out of my pajamas on my day off :biggrin:

Thank you people!

Ray's is not far from the Rosslyn metro station.

A lot of the information you seek can be found via google. or google + mapquest. or google + mapquest + the wmata site.

I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back. I want to be on you.

Was at New Big Wong last night. Easily the best Chinese food I've had in Chinatown. The beef with sour cabbage was incredible. Not quite as good, but still tasty were a braised pork belly dish and a mixed seafood clay pot thing. Many interesting things on the 'Chef's Specials' menu.

Chris Sadler

I too am a long time fan of the New Big Wong. However, the constant health code violations do trouble me.

Was at New Big Wong last night.  Easily the best Chinese food I've had in Chinatown.  The beef with sour cabbage was incredible.  Not quite as good, but still tasty were a braised pork belly dish and a mixed seafood clay pot thing.  Many interesting things on the 'Chef's Specials' menu.

But I forgot to emphasize - nothing very expensive.  I'm a twenty-something waitress.  I go to the nice places, but only when I have some money to burn or its a special occasion.  So, preferably something equal to or less than $60 for two people, not including wine and drinks.

Where is The Guards? And Ray's?  Are they in the District or Metro-accessible or not too much cab fare from Adams Morgan/Columbia Heights?

Thank you people!

You like to party in pjs like me? Rock on!

Here are some of my flabby wallet suggestions. Get ready to wipe your tears.

Rays!

Guajillo, awesome Mexican next to Ray's.

Be the first of us to explore Todd Kliman's Little Ethipoia scopia ...

Mr. Chow's Chinese (Adams Morgan/Zoo Metro) at your pad (again, party in your robe).

Indique is open Sundays (according to the Washingfoamian it can be about 35 bucks/ person).

Carry a pizza away from Sette (I've always wondered how they transport).

I was gonna say Indique, but Morela beat me to it! You can definitely eat on the cheap there if you watch your drinking. Also, if you're considering sharing entrees, don't. Although the portions are often quite shareable (at least IMO), the sharing cost plus the cost of an extra plate of rice and daal add up almost to the cost of an extra entree. Personally, I like to take home my leftovers anyway.

Bardeo is also open on Sundays, though their charming host is off-duty that night.

So many other "good deal!" spots are closed including Kuna and the beloved Palena.

I was gonna say Indique, but Morela beat me to it!  You can definitely eat on the cheap there if you watch your drinking.  Also, if you're considering sharing entrees, don't.  Although the portions are often quite shareable (at least IMO), the sharing cost plus the cost of an extra plate of rice and daal add up almost to the cost of an extra entree.  Personally, I like to take home my leftovers anyway.

Bardeo is also open on Sundays, though their charming host is off-duty that night.

So many other "good deal!" spots are closed including Kuna and the beloved Palena.

"sharing cost"? this ain't russia.

I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back. I want to be on you.

It's not real friendly, but I think a "sharing cost" is usually appropriate if they're going to plate it separately for you.  If it's two people eating off the same plate, then it's just gouging.

I do feel gouged now that I think about it. We were charged for sharing AND charged for a second plate of rice and daal. Between those two fees, I think it was $8 or $9...the overall dish is $12 or $13.

Live & learn. Won't do that sharing bidness again.

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled "Saturday Night" topic.

Soooooo many good suggestions. please, keep them coming!

i've been to New Big Wong, Basil Thai (actually, found out about it from jamison when i worked with him (thank you!) :smile:), Sette, Cashion's (though not in quite a while), Melrose, and Le Bureau (:cool:)...

never heard of Bourbon's....

I just stupidly assumed most of your suggested places were closed on Sunday's, (maybe b/c the restaurant where I work is closed...)

but this sunday, as per your instructions, i'm likely to try Ray's, Bardeo or 2 Amy's. or Sushi Ko (thanks don)

anyway, yes, please tel me more, tell me more! And I'll let you know where we end up going this sunday

Eat.Drink.DC.

- Orson Welles

or Sushi Ko (thanks don)

You're welcome LittleWing, but I should mention that the last four times I've been to Sushi-Ko, Koji has not been working the sushi bar (he has been inside the kitchen), and the sashimi and sushi have not been the same without him. The hot plates coming from the kitchen have been great, and depending on who the sushi chef has been, the sushi has ranged from adequate to very good, but no doubt about it, the experience as a whole has changed of late, hopefully temporarily (it's entirely possible Koji is filling in for someone on vacation, trying to hire a new kitchen chef, etc.)

Isn't it amazing (and confounding) how things can swing in a matter of days or weeks (or even from day-to-day, or even within a single day)? Gotta strike while the iron is hot - this week, it's Straits of Malaya. Next week, who knows?

I wish it were simpler than this, but that wouldn't be reality,

Rocks.

My most favorite recent discovery is that Rice delivers! (And man, can they be fast--and super nice. The delivery guy always bows practically to the ground and announces "Cokes on the house!" It's great.)

Sounds like you might live nearby (Rice is at 14th and Q), and if you haven't already been, I highly recommend it. Entree prices are about $12-$14.

So this would meet your Sunday night needs whether you change out of your PJs or not.

(I'm not sure what their delivery area is...)

Amanda

Metrocurean, a D.C. restaurant and food blog

"I was gonna say Indique, but Morela beat me to it!  You can definitely eat on the cheap there if you watch your drinking.  Also, if you're considering sharing entrees, don't.  Although the portions are often quite shareable (at least IMO), the sharing cost plus the cost of an extra plate of rice and daal add up almost to the cost of an extra entree.  Personally, I like to take home my leftovers anyway"

Indique does not have any SHARING CHARGE. As a matter of fact we do encourage sharing. It clearly sounds like there has been some misunderstanding. Please PM me directly the details about your visit and what actually happened.

As a matter of fact we provide Basmati Rice Pilaf and Dal along with all entrees. Only if there is an additional order it is charged.

Spices is, I believe, closed on Sundays.  Which makes me sad.

I;ve only eaten at Spices once, but I've had its delivery many many times. It's okay, but not thrilling. Have you all found that the food is better if you eat in, rather than take out?

Also, I haven't heard much about Bourbon (food-wise) or Rice, but I'm interested. Any comments?

After reading the Straits thread, I'm interested in checking it out, too.

So now its between 2 Amy's, Straits of Malaysia, Ray's or Bardeo. Which one to try first?!

And that's if we even go out to dinner, since we're being taken to the Four Seasons tomorrow for brunch (for the first time) :biggrin: woohoo!

I know its off-topic, but any suggestions on what to order?

PS. as far as Sunday night suggestions, don't worry so much about the metro thing, if its in the distrct. IMy scooter gets me anywhere, as long as the highway isn't involved :cool:

Thanks!

Edited by LittleWing (log)

Eat.Drink.DC.

- Orson Welles

Given it's Sunday night, you're probably (hopefully) enjoying a meal at one of your aforementioned options. So what did you pick?

Just wanted to throw my two cents in for 2 Amy's: go before it's too cold to sit out on the quaint little patio in the back. The bright lights in the front are almost unbearable, so I think the porch is one of the best seats in the house. A seat in the back works too.

I'm a big fan of Ricetoo. Here's the Post review.

Amanda

Metrocurean, a D.C. restaurant and food blog

Don't forget Saigonnais in Adams Morgan. We re-discovered this place one rainy, Sunday night when the restaurant we were headed for turned out to be closed. Refreshing, tasty food and a glass of wine for not much more than we would have spent for lousy food at Timberlakes.

Don't forget Saigonnais in Adams Morgan.

Actually, I didn't really love Saigonnais. I used to work in Adams Morgan so I got well acquainted with its restaurants. I found Saigonnais fairly typical, uninteresting and, to be blunt, not so hot. But maybe I should give it another shot - perhaps it's improved.

Given it's Sunday night, you're probably (hopefully) enjoying a meal at one of your aforementioned options. So what did you pick?

Acutally, brunch at the Four Seasons (a big departure from my normal dining life) was at 1:00 and we didn't leave until 4:00 :blush:. By the time we were ready to eat again, most restaurants were closed. So dinner tonight was just some butternut squash tortelloni made at home.

Next week, though, I think we'll check out Ray's the Steaks. If we can't get a reservation (or our plans too indefinite to make a res) we will probably check out the back porch at 2 Amy's (thanks for the tip :biggrin:)

I would loooove to go to Straits, Rice or Sushi-Ko - or any of your other asian cuisine suggestions - but my man works at a (delicious) Asian Fusion restaurant 6 nights a week, and is fed from the menu, so its hard to convince him to get any kind of asian food with me on his night off. Eventually, though, eventually.

Maybe if I have a night off this week other than Sunday I'll go to Straits sans boyfriend.

Where did you all eat on Sunday?

PS - keep the suggestions coming - i'm taking careful notes :smile:

Eat.Drink.DC.

- Orson Welles

Don't forget Saigonnais in  Adams Morgan.  We re-discovered this place one rainy, Sunday night when the restaurant we were headed for turned out to be closed.  Refreshing, tasty food  and a glass of wine for not much more than we would have spent for lousy food at Timberlakes.

Sadly, Saigonnais closed its doors last week. The owner (Tin?) is moving out to California and was in good spirits, according to Dinerboy. We'll miss our cozy neighborhood place- especially its pho, cha gio, and friendly staff. I've been sorry to see the place mostly empty the past few times we've been. (well, we've actually only been a handful of times in the past year...)