• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Another food question (Ing. from Ducasse book)

tan319

I would like to find them or a similiar like pepper here in the US.

It sounds like they dry on ropes like New Mexico red peppers.

From the Basque Country, Espelette particularly.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all!

2317/5000

Here is just one source on the net. Click here I'm sure there are dozens more, and that if you look in the spice section of your supermarket or fancyfood store you will find it in both/either powdered and pureed form.

It used to be difficult to find, but is increasingly available as it is featured in recipes in the popular press.

eGullet member #80.

try the spanish table clickety

i seem to recall seeing the piment d' espelette powder at williams sonoma. not sure whether you seek the whole peppers, or if the powder will do---hopefully, the spanish table will give you options!

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

I don't know that I've seen the whole dried peppers except hanging on facades of buildings in the Basque Pyrenee area, but the dried pepper, usually in a powder form has become increasingly available in France. At least I've seen in in the fancy food stores and hypermarchés we've visited. We tend to browse these the way most people do museums.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Thanks for the info & the links, you guys!!!

Once again, I don't seem to be getting updated to some of my subs. here.

Bummer!

Thanks so much again, awesome

Edited by tan319 (log)

2317/5000

I would like to find them or a similiar like pepper here in the US.

It sounds like they dry on ropes like New Mexico red peppers.

From the Basque Country, Espelette particularly.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all!

I think it's from Basque country. alain Dutournier utilizes it in several

recipes. I purchased it for one of these [from William Sonoma

and pricey]. However, I didn't find that I could even taste it....

so it's either me or what we the product we get here.

I think it's from Basque country. alain Dutournier utilizes it in several

recipes. I purchased it for one of these [from William Sonoma

and pricey]. However, I didn't find that I could even taste it....

so it's either me or what we the product we get here.

Definitely from the Basque country and entitled to an A.O.C Espelette is a small village in the center of the area of production. I find it has a flavor that is unique and one can certainly taste it if you use enough perhaps. We bought some in the Basque country, but that was sometime ago and in fact, the small jar we are using may have been a gift from someone returning from the region.

The heat of the pepper is far milder than that of chili peppers or cayenne which allows some of the fruitiness of ripe pepper to come through, unless that's my imagination. My little 50 gram jar came from Pascal Massonde in Souraïde, tel. 05 59 93 90 30. There's not much left.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.