• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sardinia Restaurants: Reviews & Recommendations

Diana100

We used the Slow Food Osterie D'Italia guide with good success.

The standout (perhaps because it was in the middle of nowhere and didn't look like much and had few pretensions) was La Roselle in Giba. My wife had a wonderful seafood appetizer, and we had delicious asparagus and artichoke ravioli (two separate offerings). I usually think asparagus should only be eaten with a simple sauce (butter or bread crumbs) and not used as an ingredient, but this was amazing thinnest I've ever seen asparagus and was quite marvelous.

I wouldn't tell you to travel hundreds of miles for this, but certainly a nice afternoon drive (we kicked ourselves that we had no camera to record the group of cows lounging on a sand beach on our way to Giba). Actually Giba itself was on the way to somewhere else, I forget where.

Edited by David Lerner (log)

If you get a chance to get to Alghero, which is a Catalanian Town in the North West of the Island, visit Al Tuguri. The seafood here is very goo. Try the linguine bicolori del Re Juan Carlos. The ristorante also has a good selection of Island wines, Tenute Sella & Mosca is a good producer to look out for.

Edited by Alexander Forryan (log)

"Wine without friends, is like life without a witness"

The Hotel Restaurant Su Gologone is a wonderful place serving wholly local island foods, notably a range of outstanding Sardinian handmade pasta (angiulottus - ravioli type stuffed pasta, gnocchetti alla sarda - small semolina dumplings great with wild boar sugo, maccarrones de busa, homemade spaghetti type pasta served with ragu), plus the star dish, porceddu - sucking pig - cooked in a massive open fire in the dining room. Homemade Sardinian dolci are great too! Located near Oliena in central Sardinia so great as a base for mountain walks.

MP

Apart the aforementioned Slowfood guide tips, always very helpful, a restaurant which has been constantly recieving praises on the Italian press is chef Roberto Petza's s'apposentu in Cagliari, serving a creative cuisine with strong references to traditional cuisine.

have fun in Sardinia

Il Forno: eating, drinking, baking... mostly side effect free. Italian food from an Italian kitchen.

Diana, this may be a stale recommendation, but worth checking out. When we stayed at the Calle di Volpe several years ago, they had a terrific lunch buffet that served impeccably fresh food and grilled-to-order lobster and, I believe, other seafood and meat. We have found none better since.

• 6 months later...

I realize this is a hopelessly out-of-date reply (but perhaps useful in the future), but I'd like to second the recommendation of Al Tuguri. Over six days in July 2004, I ate absolutely everywhere recommended to me by anyone that was (or has been) anywhere near Alghero, and Al Tuguri was easily the best, especially for seafood. The only other place that was worth recommending was Andreini (better decor, better service, much more of a "scene," but weaker food). Just so we're clear, neither of these places is anywhere near Tre Forchette. In my experience, Sardinian food is conspicuously bad by Italian standards.

• 2 years later...

I have had a peek about on the site here but not knowing Sardinian geography well I am a little confused.

Just looking for recommendations for places within Bosa or a reasonably short drive away

Thx

S

I have had a peek about on the site here but not knowing Sardinian geography well I am a little confused.

Just looking for recommendations for places within Bosa or a reasonably short drive away

Thx

S

Not far from Bosa is a trattoria called Riccardo where I had the best lobster of my life. I can't remember the name of the town, but we found it in the SlowFood guide, Osterie d'Italia. Bosa is not terribly far from Alghero also.

Maureen B. Fant
www.maureenbfant.com

www.elifanttours.com

Thx

S

Not far from Bosa is a trattoria called Riccardo where I had the best lobster of my life. I can't remember the name of the town, but we found it in the SlowFood guide, Osterie d'Italia. Bosa is not terribly far from Alghero also.

Thanks Maureen, that gets me started!

S

Edited by sunbeam (log)

• 1 month later...
finally sorted my sardinian trip and we've going to be based within walking distance of alghero, any recent thoughts?

thanks

gary

There are many 'agriturismo' (converted farms) around Alghero that do full blown traditional meals (generally it's 'land cuisine', with their classic skewered baby pork, home made cheeses, sausages and game at their core, rather than sea offerings). The quality is in general good, but the best in my opinion is Sa Mandra

http://www.aziendasamandra.it/

Only one strong advice if you go for dinner: skip lunch!

m

• 1 month later...

Thx

S

Now I have been I can recommend the Trattoria de Riccardo in Magomadas unreservedly.

Even better is Desugo in Cugliari (not Cagiliari, this is a tiny village near Bosa) . Very hard to find as it is a small doorway in a cobbled alley. Run by three sisters it has no menu, just sit down and start eating. Fantastic antipasti - chick peas in fennel, hams, etc, then we had ravioli stuffed with fresh peccorino, then wild boar stew with local olives, then wild hare, and so it went on. All doused in the local olive oil which is superb and can be bought just down the road from the maker. We went twice, I recommend lunch though as it is full of locals eating naturally, it may be different in the evenings

S

• 2 years later...

Hi all, pretty quiet on this thread, I'm wondering if this is the best place to ask, but I'll do it anyway: we're going to Sardinia for a week on 24 august, staying in Lotzorai, on the east coast just north of Tortoli.We have a car, and have some day trips and hikes planned...but: anybody have any eating tips in the area? Anything is appreciated. Thanks!

• 1 year later...

For restaurants/trattorie, 2 years ago I enjoyed Da Barbara on the road from Cagliari to Villasimius (South West). Then it was fantastic for straightforward seafood, but I don't know if in the meanwhile it has changed for the better or for the worse.

One year earlier we had liked, in the other direction from Cagliari (to Pula), Sa Cardiga and Su Schironi, but again no updated information.

Even earlier, in the Alghero area, we had been at Sa Mandra (agriturismo), where they do 'porcetto' (suckling pig) and inland style cooking in a grand way. It wasn't really very good cuisine (especially the pasta), but they have some good local produce (hams, cheeses), and the whole experience can be interesting.

Edited by Man (log)