• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Burien!?

I need some assistance here. I am a recent transplant from Wallingford and am in desperate need of some "hidden gem" restaurants in Burien. Having lived in Wallingford, I was kind of spoiled when it came to good restaurants but now living in Burien, I am suffering serious withdrawls.

Does anyone have any good tips for restaurants in Burien? I already know the West Seattle restaurant scene fairly well but I'm looking for something a little closer to downtown Burien.

I've already found the nice Thai restaurant up on 1st avenue (accross from the Greek restaurant). I love their garlic fish, but other than that I feel like I'm in restaurant purgatory.

Other places visited: Huckleberry's (good home cooking), Vinces (good pizza), Anthony's Home Port (I am not fond of this restaurant!).

I'm looking for a little bit of cultural diversity, can anyone help.

"Live every moment as if your hair were on fire" Zen Proverb

He-he, I think this is the first time I've seen the words "Burien" and "cultural diversity" in the same sentence. Seriously, I think you'll have to go either south to Federal Way for good Thai and Korean Food, or east to Kent, also for good Thai, Indian and Mexican Food. Or Auburn - I love the Sunbreak Cafe for breakfast and lunches, they have a wonderful Eastern European bakery inside the restaurant.

uuuhhhhhggg!!

Even the grocery stores out here are bleak and homogenous. I never thought I would be saying this but Kent,Puyallup and Sumner are all a cultural oasis compared to Burien!

My wife was talking about the Sunbreak cafe the other day, perhaps that will be our next outing. Thanks for tip.

If you go a little further south to White Center, you will certainly find a large number of Hispanic and Mexican restaurants there.

Actually, White Center is north of Burien, but yes, there is some good Mexican food there.

Taqueria Rinconsito has a restaurant in Burien and I think their food is quite good and authentic. For Italian, I like Filiberto's on Des Moines Mem Drive a lot. Southern Italian, red-sauce style, but done well.

Homogenous grocery stores? Maybe no Larry's (there is one in Tukwila) or Whole Foods, but there is Trader Joe's, Wayne's and any number of small produce stands that are anything but homogenous.

Edited by tighe (log)

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

My first impression of Buien 20 or 30 years ago was that it was one of the NW's first 1950's shopping centers that they put roads through the way the English declared roads where the cows wandered.

That view has greatly changed in recent years. Tighe is right, you can find most anything you need in the area for cooking and then some. We have some good butchers (B&E Meats, better probably in des Moines than Burien) and places where you can get hard to find items like Meyer lemons in season.

Resturant wise, besides what has been mentioned we had halibut cheeks with hush puppies the other day at a fish stand on 154th close to Ambaum.. There is another great fish stand in des Moines called Wally's.

We, and Japaese friends, like the sushi at Suhisake in des Moines. The Greek stand in des Moines was already mentioned. There are scatterings of Thai resturants along 1st Ave. and a couple in Burien that are good. We also eat Vietnamese about once a week at either of two or three places in Burien.

There is also a Salvadorian resturant on about 150th in Burien that we stop at occassionally.

Southend ain't as bad as many crank it up to be, you just need to know what you are looking for and where to look.

dave

Wow, I had no idea these restaurants were around. I forgot all about trader Joe's, I was just there for some pita chips and I didn't even think about that when I started rambling on about grocery stores, my bad.

Wayne's eh? Where is this? I would love to go check that out.

Wally's and Filibertos aren't down by the pier near Anthony's Home Port by chance? I've visited a couple of restaurants in Des Moines and I really like the area. It's a fun little community.

I did go to the EB Foote winery in Burien by the way. We rented out the space for a party. Their wine is fairly good! I would have never of guessed that there was a winery in the heart of downtown Burien!

Thanks for the great info folks. I'll keep everyone up to date on my experiences at these locations and let me know if anything else comes to mind.

I hope I didn't offend anyone with my Burien bashing but I'm still learning about Burien. Transplanting homes isn't easy!

I'll second the rec for Filibertos, if nothing else, the atmosphere is outstanding. I kept waiting for DiNiro to come out of the bathroom with the pistol hidden behind the toilet.

You should also check out Burien's winery, EB Foote. This link lists their visiting hours, address, etc. Decent wine, very interesting location and story.

Hal

Edited by halland (log)

Wayne's eh?  Where is this?  I would love to go check that out.

Wally's and Filibertos aren't down by the pier near Anthony's Home Port by chance?  I've visited a couple of restaurants in Des Moines and I really like the area.  It's a fun little community.

I definitely sympathize with your situation, I moved down this way from Capital Hill a few years ago and went through withdrawls for a while. If you learn what's around and can appreciate it on its own terms, I think the area has a lot to offer though.

Some addresses:

Filiberto's Italian Restaurant

144th & Des Moines Wy S

Seattle, WA 98168

(206) 248-1944

Wayne's Fruits & Vegetables

144 SW 152d

Burien, WA 98166 - 2306

(206) 988-1996

(seafood & meat next door)

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

appreciate it on its own terms

Am I being held hostage in Burien? :wink:

Seriously, thanks for the tips. I think I will visit a couple of new restaurants this week!

Actually, White Center is north of Burien, but yes, there is some good Mexican food there.

:wacko: You are absolutely correct. And I should have known better, being born and raised in south King County (Renton). All I can say is that in recent years, I would only go through White Center on my way to or from the ferry at Fauntleroy.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

• 1 year later...

Welcome to the South End (really, really South End). Not a lot of great restaurants in Auburn, but there are a few.

Worth stopping by:

The Rock: Lake Tapps/South Auburn/Lakeland Hills hood: Wood fired pizza joint, very loud, younger crowd, above average pizza. Sister restaurant to the one in downtown Tacoma (next door to The Swiss).

Auguri: Downtown Auburn on Auburn Way South. Very decent Italian. Not your red sauce family Italian joint. Linen tablecloths and a decent wine list. Fresh flavors and daily specials from the grill. We had an eGullet outing to Auguri back in the summer of 2004.

Spunky Monkey: Good sandwich joint with character. Grilled sandwiches, soups and salads. They make a mean fruit smoothie. Barrel of Monkeys (the game) on every table. Great place to take kids. Monkey Lounge upstairs.

Just noticed that a Taqueria El Rinconsito opened a few months ago in Auburn on Auburn Way North. See previous posts here about TER tacos.

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

Went to the Rock for lunch, I loved the Pizza! I'm sorry to say that it was a work lunch so no beer :sad:

Do you know of any good Japanese Restaurants in the area? I've been to a couple, but the fact that I can't remember their names should give you a clue on the quality of these estalishments.

I will definitely check out Aguri though! Love Italian.

Thanks for the recs! :smile:

You are like me, I started out in Wallingford, then moved as far north as Vancouver, BC, then kept moving Southwards.

-Japanese: There's a pretty good Japanese restaurant (Koharu) in Federal Way off of 320th which is fairly close to Auburn. Stay away from Tokyo Steak House.

If you are in the South Center area, check out Miyabi (South of ToysRUs), good bentos, awesome prices. Simply Thai in South Center in the Target Plaza is awesome!

-Grocery Store: Top Foods in Fed. Way, Trader Joe's in Fed Way, Metropolitan Market in Dash Point, also Marlene's Natural Market in Fed. Way where the old REI used to be

-Thai: Indochine or Indochine Cafe in Fed. Way

Italian: Verrazanos in Des Moines, Burien-ish, people like it, but I though it was overpriced for its quality.

-Green Valley Meats in Auburn (on the way to the WA Nat'l. Golf Course): Awesome meats and smoked jerkey. Good pig ears for your pets too.

Auburn Valley is scary for a foodie, so stay to the West, the Fed. Way side.

-Kent: The Kent Station shops & restaurants are starting to open up.

Google these restaurants for more info. & directions.

Good luck & Enjoy!

-Moose

Edited by hungry_moose (log)

Good post! Lots of good places mentioned.

For grocery shopping, I'd add Valley Harvest, with locations on the Kent East Hill and Kent West Hill (very easy to get to from Auburn). The one on the East Hill (by Paolo's, which is a really really really good Italian family joint) has a European style deli that's got lots of interesting stuff. And a pretty decent selection of condiments.

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni