• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Are they taking imperials too far?

LJDolan

Is it black? What's the body like? Seems like an odd combo, style wise. One would more or less cancel out the other. Kind of like Irish Stout/Pilsener.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Is it brewing style or marketing hype? Are they making a super malty barleywine meets oktoberfest beer, or are they just slapping the word imperial on the bottles because it sounds manly and classy and increases sales?

How long have imperial IPAs been around? What's their story?

The whole imperial nomenclature thing strikes me as shorthand for the manifestation of the "too much is never enough" mindset in brewing.

But hey-- whatever they call it, if it tastes good, then that is all that matters. What did the Imperial Oktoberfest taste like?

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

What Chris and Brooks said.

Sue, in my opinion, Avery nailed it. It tasted like a big oktoberfest. From qhat some people on beeradvocate have said, higher grav oktoberfests have been around for awhile. Avery is just the first to put imperial in front.

Not sure about the history of imperial IPAs. I beleive they originated in California in the late 1990'ds

Edited by LJDolan (log)