• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ron Zacapa... why is this rum impossible to get?

Jason Perlow

I've been going absolutely crazy trying to get even a single bottle of this rum. I've gone to specialty liquor stores and have had them pour over distributor catalogs, etc, but no luck at all. Sams Wine doesnt have it anymore and every other web distributor source on Ed's site doesnt have it either.

What to do?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Jason - how are you? I am not sure if you and others saw my post at the old BB about the Ron Zacapa. In a nutshell, the US importer has dropped this product from their importing. There are numerous reasons as to why, but allegedly, there were some issues with production runs, sporatic avalability, and sometimes difficult communication. If you want more details, shoot me an e-mail and I'll give you the scoop.      Eric

ELA post your information here, because I think a lot of people including Ed would like to know the "real deal"

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Eric is right there have been a number of problems including political turmoil in Guatemala. But don't worry, the rum is still aging high in the mountains and like when Barbancourt was hard to find while the US blockaded Haiti, the end result was that the increased their aged rum stores. Patience will be rewarded.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

• 2 weeks later...

In a nutshell, the US importer for Ron Z has dropped the product from their line(s). There are numerous reasons, and even more stories as to why. Apparently, communication with the manufacturer was difficult as to shipping, production quantity, etc. I had heard from a friend of mine (who was ancillarily involved) that because Ron Z is a blend of aged rums, during production, several problems usually arose.

To continue - First, rumor has it that the distillery's production systems are somewhat antiquated, and not modernized. Thus, they would run out of one of the aged/blended runs, and would have to halt production. Also, I heard that shippments were erratic and not accurate. The distillery really did not "market" or promote this rum and neither did the importer. Thus supply was somewhat "irregular".  Here in the US, the rum was not easily available. There were a few places that carried it, a couple in Cal., Ill., and Fla. Others too.

However, since it is no longer being imported, the suplly is zero. I spoke with the former importer, they checked and no one has any of it laying around. Even my supply is extremely low ( a little joke). Shoot me an e-mail and maybe I can help you.

Eric

There have been problems in Nicaragua but if it was easy to get it would probably be gone by now. The best things are worth waiting for. The good news is that problems at the distillery are being worked out  and Southern Wine and Spirits is now the importer. first shipments are going to Florida, then California. Look for it next in NY and Chicago.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

Ed - I just heard today about the new importer. Where is Southern based out of? Also, this rum was neveron the 'list' in NY as far as I have been told. Thanks for the updates.

Eric

Southern Wine and Spirits is located in Miami but also operates in California and in several other markets.  I don't expect all of the problems experienced in the past to just go away since the US market is a lot different from what the distillery is used to dealing with but like good rum, patience is rewarded.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

Ed - I hope you received my e-mail. My supply is OK now, but I hesitate in letting it run low, as lately it really couldn't be replaced. One of my liquor clients/friends found the last case in the US, sitting in a warehouse. I got that one and was real happy, as everybody else had been out for a long time.

I think it's beginning to look positive for this rum

Eric

ELA:

If you'd permit it, and if your supplies arent critical, I'll swap you a fresh bottle of Appleton 21 for a bottle of Zacapa. I think its a fair trade.

Done my friend. Shoot me an e-mail and we'll see if we can get together this week. I am getting married this Saturday, and it is going to be a crazy week to say the least - but we'll give it our best shot.

Eric

• 3 weeks later...

Even more impossible to get than Centenario is the new Centenario XO... god only knows how old that rum is...

Lets hope that new importer gets some into the US soon!

I've had the XO, but I am completely out now. However, my "friend" is getting me some. We spoke today about what they are going to be doing with the RZ Centenario, and the XO (which is soon to follow the RZ Centenario, if all goes according to plan).

I forget the details on the XO, but most say it is better than Centenario. There is a third rum allegedly between the two, and I think it is called Anejo or something along those lines. I have never seen that one.

Eric

• 2 months later...

My father-in-law just brought me a new bottle from Guatemala.  Apparently, they sell it in the duty-free shop at Aurora Airport.  I got hooked on it a while back.  I everytime we go to Guatemala, we will bring more.  If all else fails, catch a flight and see the sights.

• 2 weeks later...

To clear up the product line regarding rums from Guatemala:

Ron Botran Etiquetta Blanca: 3 YO molasses based white rum

Ron Botran Oro: 6 YO molasses based blond rum

Ron Botran Anejo: 12 YO "sugar cane honey" based gold rum

Ron Zacapa Centenario: 23 YO "sugar cane honey" based nectar of the gods.

Ron Zacapa Centenario X.O.: 25 YO "sugar cane honey" based nectar of the gods.

In the past the folks from La Nacional produced a Ron Zacapa Centenario Edición Especial.  This was essentially the standard Ron Zacapa released in extra special packaging (crystal decanter style).  Then they released an extra-special X.O. millenium edition 25 year old for the year 2000.  This product was so well-received that they continued the production of the X.O. product and added it to their product mix.  Bottles of Especial are extremely hard to find since stocks are essentially sold out.  The millenium edition 25 year old is also extraordinarily rare, and was at one time offered in a special marble case with two crystal cognac glasses.  The new X.O. special edition is available here in Europe.  It is a wonderful rum, as one might expect.  Bottoms up!

(Edited by John Moore at 5:02 am on Dec. 18, 2001)

• 1 month later...

Greetings,

I do not know if anyone is still interested in where to find Ron Zacapa Centenario.  I just two weeks ago bought a bottle of it in Miami, FL USA for 36.00 USD.

I found it at a liquor store located on NW 7th steet in Miami east of the "9" and south of the "836". I hope that it helps.  Good luck.

Cheers

"Traveler, you who sail into the Caribbean in silvered yacht or gilded cruise ship, pause as you enter these waters to remember that deep below rest three men of honor who helped determine the history of this onetime Spanish Lake: Sir John Hawkins, builder of the English navy; Sir Francis Drake, conqueror of all known seas; Admiral Ledesma, stubborn enhancer of his king's prerogatives and the interests of his own strong family"

James A. Michener - Caribbean

Just last week I got an email that Sam's in Chicago had a supply of Ron Zacapa. The new importer/distributor is gearing up and there are at least some bottles of this fine rum available.

Hey, if it was easy everyone would be doing it.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

[EDITED:  Wrong Thread]

"Traveler, you who sail into the Caribbean in silvered yacht or gilded cruise ship, pause as you enter these waters to remember that deep below rest three men of honor who helped determine the history of this onetime Spanish Lake: Sir John Hawkins, builder of the English navy; Sir Francis Drake, conqueror of all known seas; Admiral Ledesma, stubborn enhancer of his king's prerogatives and the interests of his own strong family"

James A. Michener - Caribbean

• 5 months later...
To clear up the product line regarding rums from Guatemala:<p>Ron Botran Etiquetta Blanca: 3 YO molasses based white rum

Ron Botran Oro: 6 YO molasses based blond rum

Ron Botran Anejo: 12 YO "sugar cane honey" based gold rum

Ron Zacapa Centenario: 23 YO "sugar cane honey" based nectar of the gods.

Ron Zacapa Centenario X.O.: 25 YO "sugar cane honey" based nectar of the gods.

John, I have a bottle of Botran here that seems to be called Solera 1893. Where does that fit in the list?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The real reason it is so hard to find is the antiquated liquor laws in the US. It changed importers about 1 year ago so there was a slight stoppage in availability but it is still available. The way the liquor laws work, its that someone imports it, and then they sell it to distributors in each state, and then the distributors sell it to retailers. The big problem comes from the statewide distributors who would rather sell pallets of the bacardi swill than great rumslike Zacapa. Retailers must buy from the distrubutors in their state so they have no supply. Most distibutors will not special order a case for a retailer because of the shipping cost, paperwork involved, or some other ridiculous reason

The Zacapa XO is due to be available around October. It is currently only sold in 700ml. bottles which are illegal in the US. They are working on a 750ml bottle design for the US market and that was a estimated target date with a retail price of about $75-$80 per bottle.

I sell lots of the centennario at my store, it is one of the best rums I have ever tasted, but I can't imagine that the XO would be so much better for almost double the price.