• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Solo Female Diner

sserver

Without knowing what your culinary preferences are, I'd suggest Cru on West Broadway at Granville. Touting itself as a "wine bar restaurant, it serves West Coast cuisine in a hip yet cozy small room. It's open at 5:00 p.m. daily for dinner, so you can dine early enough that you're not starting your drive back to Seattle at an unreasonable hour. If you don't feel like sitting at one of the tables along the banquette, you can always dine at the bar; even if owner Mark Taylor isn't on the floor, the friendly waitstaff will help you feel more than comfortable.

Fabulous small plates selection. I'm a big fan of their Wild Warm Mushrooms, Beef Tenderloin Carpaccio, Tuna Tartare, and Pan-seared Nova Scotia Scallops. Three-course prix fixe at $34 is a steal. The Roasted Halibut is some of the best I've had anywhere. If you're a chocolate fan, their Bitter Chocolate Torte is, quite simply, to die for. Diverse "colour-coded" selection of wines by the glass for easy pairings.

Each of my dining experiences at Cru has been excellent, and I wouldn't hesitate to dine there solo if the occasion ever arose.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I ended up one lunchtime, dining solo at Feenie's on Broadway. I was hesitant going in, but was made to feel very welcome by my server (and actually the table beside me as well!).

I've never dined solo at Cru, but agree with Mooshmouse that you would feel welcomed there as well and the food is excellent.

Support your local farmer

Currently reading:

The Art of Simple Food by Alice Waters

Just finished reading:

The 100-Mile Diet by Alisa Smith & J. B. MacKinnon

I've never actually had a problem dining solo anywhere in Vancouver - although I think some places (Le Gavroche, for instance) may be better experienced as part of a couple due to ambience, etc.. But as a solo female diner, I've never felt unwelcome or awkward, regardless of the price point of where I eat.

That being said - Cru really is fabulous (or was, last time I was there! Having moved north, it's been a few months :sad:).

• 2 weeks later...
I ended up one lunchtime, dining solo at Feenie's on Broadway.  I was hesitant going in, but was made to feel very welcome by my server (and actually the table beside me as well!). 

I've never dined solo at Cru, but agree with Mooshmouse that you would feel welcomed there as well and the food is excellent.

i'm new to the area but was thinking of trying feenie's. how far in advance would you guys suggest making reservations for dinner? is there generally a wait at lunchtime?

I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back. I want to be on you.

i'm new to the area but was thinking of trying feenie's.  how far in advance would you guys suggest making reservations for dinner?  is there generally a wait at lunchtime?

You can walk-in at lunchtime but a same-day reservation is useful for dinner early in the week. For Thursday through Saturday, give a couple of days notice.

Jamie

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

You can walk-in at lunchtime but a same-day reservation is useful for dinner early in the week. For Thursday through Saturday, give a couple of days notice.

Jamie

thank you!

I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back. I want to be on you.