• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Truth be told: Where've you eaten lately? (Part 1)

Mooshmouse

First weekend out from culinary school... yeah. Feels good. Immediately after school Friday a few of us hit the nearest licensed establishment, as you do. After which I headed home but somehow instead found myself at the bar at HSG. Hanger steak. Of course I had to try it after all the hype! And the gingerbread pudding is damn good. Chef Neil, please just get some better vermouth to go with that great Plymouth gin, and I'll be at your bar every Friday. :smile:

Saturday lunch, Pho Hoang, not what it used to be. Or else I'm jaded from spending several months over the last 2 years in Vietnam. No, this place has definitely lost the plot somewhere, the soup was just bland and the service even more offhand than it used to be. I need a new Vancouver pho place (I know where you're thinking of suggesting - but it has to be closer to the West End than Victoria Drive, pls. HKDave lacks wheels).

Saturday late dinner, alcohol-absorbtion burger at Earl's on Robson. Hey, I like Earl's. Not that I had many options, this was at 11pm or so.... I guess Fresgo was still open. That would have been more eGulletish. And better. And only 2 blocks from my hovel. Have to remember that for next weekend.

Sunday morning, Pink Pearl for dim sum. Still my fave. Sandy, the woman who runs the fry cart, remembered me from the days when I was a regular... more than a decade ago.

Wandering back toward the West End, I noticed in Chinatown that Foo's has re-opened where the Ho Ho used to be. Hmmm, I feel a craving for some old skool '60 style Vancouver Chinatown food... have to check out that place sometime soon. And that T+T Supermarket is quite something, isn't it? Reminds me of home.

Then it was off to Park Royal to hit the fleischmeister at the ever-reliable Black Forest Deli in the mall there. Then back home to do homework, sharpen my knives and get my uniforms ready. No partying for another week.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

my wife and i dropped our boy off with his grandparents for a few hours and went wandering downtown tonight.

what is it with sunday here? topanga's, closed. brix, closed. chambar, closed. le regalade, closed. first picks all nixed. nice driving around the icy side streets of kits, though.... :wacko:

went downstairs at lucy mae brown and had an interesting sausage and apple flambe and some tasty skewers of beef tenderloin and chicken with assorted sauces (great pesto). funky set up downstairs complete with dj and really nice staff. we took our service at the bar.

after that, we tried to get some steaks at the hamilton street grill, but unfortunately they were closed. Neil, i shall return. :smile:

went to cardero's for more small plates (ribs, potato leek soup, creme brulee). met an old friend working there who i used to work with at prego.. ambience and sense of ease not usually encountered at cardero's ensued.

we then tried to walk from cardero's to have a whiskey at lift but the ice and snow on the seawall here was a bit much for us (pregnancy, neither of us in sensible footwear). another time perhaps. anyone review this place yet?

andrew

Edited by editor@waiterblog (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

my wife and i dropped our boy off with his grandparents for a few hours and went wandering downtown tonight.

what is it with sunday here? topanga's, closed. brix, closed. chambar, closed. le regalade, closed. first picks all nixed. nice driving around the icy side streets of kits, though.... :wacko:

went downstairs at lucy mae brown and had an interesting sausage and apple flambe and some tasty skewers of beef tenderloin and chicken with assorted sauces (great pesto). funky set up downstairs complete with dj and really nice staff. we took our service at the bar.

after that, we tried to get some steaks at the hamilton street grill, but unfortunately they were closed. Neil, i shall return.  :smile:

went to cardero's for more small plates (ribs, potato leek soup, creme brulee). met an old friend working there who i used to work at prego in toronto. ambience and sense of ease not usually encountered at cardero's ensued.

we then tried to walk from cardero's to have a whiskey at lift but the ice and snow on the seawall here was a bit much for us (pregnancy, neither of us in sensible footwear). another time perhaps. anyone review this place yet?

andrew

Sorry , took the staff out for a party tonight. Went to "C", had a great time

Edited by nwyles (log)

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

andrew

Haven't tried it myself but most of my friends have (girlfriends dad is one of the owners) and it's gotten RAVE reviews on the food...and from a non-seafood-loving group at that! Apparently the sushi is like no other...

"Never eat more than you can lift" -Miss Piggy

Last three meals for me: Portobello and Wildflower in the Fairmont Chateau Whistler, and Bearfoot Bistro in Whistler Village.

Portobello: We actually ate four meals here over the last 4 days: 2 breakfasts and 2 lunches. We had the breakfast buffet both times, and it is mediocre at best. Very good OJ, at least (not quite fresh squeezed, but Tropicana I believe). Lunches included a decent wild mushroom soup, a huge tuna sandwich, and individual pizzas. Service was very good 3 of 4 visits, very bad on the last visit.

Wildflower: Dinner on Friday night was at Wildflower. We had our 5 year old with us, so we passed on appetizers and just ordered the grilled sea bass (the fish of the day special). It was appallingly bad. For starters it was cool, and the fish was so rubbery you literally had to use a knife to cut it. It was accompanied by scalloped potatos (that were as good as the fish was bad) and perfectly cooked carrots. One high note was the service - it was exceptional. It was a real shame the fish was so bad, otherwise this would have a been a most impressive dinner.

Bearfoot Bisto: We chose the 5 course chef's tasting menu:

1st course: Dungeness crab and potato salad with green pea puree.

2nd course: Black cod, a dungeness crab dumpling, mushrooms, and soy beans in a bok choy broth.

Wine with 1st and 2nd course: Jackson-Triggs 2003 White Meritage

3rd course: Mushroom and veal cheek risotto with shaved black truffles

4th course: Roasted lamb loin with butternut squash puree and a lamb & pasta terrine.

5th course: a chocolate sampler with chocolate mouse, flourless chocolate cake, and a few other chocolate morsels that I was a bit too tipsy to recall. :unsure:

Wine with last three courses: Giusto di Notri Rosso Toscana 2001.

Without a doubt, one of the top three meals of my life. I'll post a complete description of the dinner in a seperate thread later today.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

The last three restaurants and meals we enjoyed would be:

The truffled scrambled eggs, puff pastry, and oven roasted tomatoes on the brunch menu at Aurora Bistro.

The Guiness and Beef Pot Pie ,after a night of much fine wine drinking, at the Irish Heather, my local across the street.

The Tasting Menu at "C" on New Year's Eve paired with Tom's wine pairing menu and a pre-dinner bottle of Pol Roger.

Cheers,

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

The Guiness and Beef Pot Pie ,after a night of much fine wine drinking, at the Irish Heather, my local across the street.

How did you like the pot pie? I thought it looked great, but I haven't tried it yet.

Last week I had kolachies at The Kolachy Shop. I had the bbq beef and the Chinese Long soup (I'm not sure what "long" refers to). The kolachy was good, but the soup wasn't great; it tasted like canned chicken broth, and it had some pork, noodles, and savoy cabbage in it. I drank a few glasses of Inniskillen pinot noir.

Tonight I shared the bangers and mash and the mushroom strudel at the Irish Heather, after the cheese tasting. I like my sausages juicy and quite fatty, and these bangers were on the lean side for my tastes. The mushroom strudel was tasty, and I had to fight my bf for my fair share. :laugh:

Later tonight, I had dinner #2 at Bravo Bistro on Davie. I had the La Frenz merlot. and Eddy sent out a lovely platter with roasted red peppers, beets, Italian meat (drank too much tonight--the name escapes me!) pickled herring, and fresh baguette with butter (what could be better?). I ordered the sirloin tip with sunchoke and puy lentils, but sadly the sunchokes were missing from the dish. I was looking forward to trying them, but the puy lentils were delicious, so I'm not complaining too much :wink: The araguani chocolate tarts were the star of the evening--not too sweet, as peppyre noted, but very rich and gooey. The crust was light and crispy, and the dessert was garnished with a thin chocolate tuile and some candied orange slices that provided a nice sweet-tart contrast.

Since I have been remiss in posting my last 3 dining spots, I have a few more than that.

Beginning of January I had my birthday dinner at HSG with some fellow eGulleters. Hanger steak was the entree of choice at the table, along with a blue crab appetizer that was so tasty. I'm not usually a fan of blue crab (shell paranoia) but it was delicious. Gorgonzola fondue, will certainly have that again, and for dessert there was an extravagant Ginerbread Pudding "birthday cake". It was gorgeous and so tasty.

Sun Sui Wah for Dim sum; I can't remember all that we ate, but there was lots and it was all good.

Latin Quarter, again with a group of eGulleters. I would love to rattle off descriptions of everthing we ate, but we ate pretty much everything on the menu :raz: The only dissappointment that was agreed upon at the table; the Flaming Chorizo was dry and flavourless, other than that, excellent. (part of the recollection problem is a result of the many many many pitchers of Sangria that were consumed) After Latin Quarter, we of course needed dessert and headed to HSG for Gingerbread pudding. Again. (Hi. My name is Tricia and I have a problem :huh: ) That was on top of the box of chocolates that we inhaled before leaving Latin Quarter. Thanks Lemon Curd!!

That's it for the first 2 weeks of January, now on to this week.

Monday, dealing with a killer headache, I ended up at HSG once again. This time for a take-out burger and pear and stilton salad. Oh My! This time I did stay clear of the Gingerbread Pudding. This may be my regular migraine haunt as I'm not allowed to cook with one. (I've tried to set myself and my apartment on fire too many times)

Tuesday was of course the Whiskey and Cheese tasting at the Irish Heather, so had appies of cheese, glorious cheese, followed by Whiskey and Kilkenny.

Then ended up at Bravo Bistro for dinner and chocolate tarts. I had the Sirloin with lentils which was very tasty, but since it was very late and I was starving, I didn't take my time eating it and had polished it off in a matter of minutes. The chocolate tart on the other hand was divine. I'm not a fan of overly sweet chocolate desserts, I like to have the dark rich flavour of the chocolate come through and this tart is exactly that. I'm thankful that I was only able to eat half of it, I had a small chunk last night right out of the fridge and OOOHHHHHH.....so good....... :wub: I think the chocoholic beau is going to love these. Hmmmm, possible dinner on Sat :biggrin:

Needless to say, I haven't cooked much in the last 3 weeks, but I have had some very good food.

OOOHHHHHH.....so good....... :wub:  I think the chocoholic beau is going to love these.  Hmmmm, possible dinner on Sat :biggrin:

Oh, you'll be eating dinner on Saturday?! :huh:

It's nearly an exercise in futility to post right after peppyre since my dining experiences as of late pretty much shadow hers. HSG, Latin Quarter, Sun Sui Wah, Bravo Bistro: check on all counts. :rolleyes:

However, there have been other spots. A post-New Year's brunch at Seb's with Mr. and Junior Mouse that I've mentioned on the family dining/comfort food thread. Shitake mushroom and roasted garlic omelette. King-sized latte. Definite hit-the-spot fare on a chilly winter day.

Cru for their Syrah/Shiraz Tasting and Dinner. Fabulous. Mark Taylor is a convivial and informative host. Our copy of the menu disappeared between the restaurant and the car, so I must defer to Foodie in Vancouver for actual dining notes. But the runaway winner wine of the evening was the 2002 Syrah from Township 7, with a second place nod going to the 2002 Shiraz Barrossa, Peter Lehmann.

A girlfriend's birthday dinner on a monsoon evening at Baru Latino. Plantain, yam and yucca chips with guacamole as well as hogo and smoky chipotle salsas. Peruvian White Ceviche with fried capers, plantain and a drizzle of tamarind sauce. Cartagena Crusted Halibut served atop a plantain mash with tamarind sauce, roasted asparagus and cherry tomatoes. Mojitos and guajiros were what fuelled our craving for the eGulleter chocolate tart festival at Bravo Bistro later that evening.

Seb's again yesterday for lunch with Daddy-A. My Lemon Pepper Spaghetti with seared scallops tossed in mango something something butter was delicious. And it was quite apparent that Arne rather enjoyed his Camembert and Mushroom Quesadilla (did I get that right?).

Edited by Mooshmouse (log)

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

It's nearly an exercise in futility to post right after peppyre since my dining experiences as of late pretty much shadow hers.  HSG, Latin Quarter, Sun Sui Wah, Bravo Bistro:  check on all counts.  :rolleyes:

And like I'm any different? Do you think we need to see other people? :blink: Except J & I bailed on Bravo 'cuz we're so old :wink:

Seb's again yesterday for lunch with Daddy-A.  My Lemon Pepper Spaghetti with seared scallops tossed in mango something something butter was delicious.  And it was quite apparent that Arne rather enjoyed his Camembert and Mushroom Quesadilla (did I get that right?).

Yup! Although I ate all my salad first, so I had to take 1/2 the quesadilla home with me. J had them for dinner last night after her run.

A.

Brioche for lunch today. Always a good choice.

The Heather for post cheese and whiskey snacks.

And prior to that, Cassis. Which god help me, is just a few blocks away and seems to have a very strong sasha magnet in the basement. I find myself there, without planning to be at least twice a week.

For lunch today, Go Fish! My usual halibut and chips, but I was also tempted by the soup: Coconut Seafodd Chowder with basil and kaffir lime. Nothing like a steaming bowl of soup while sitting in the rain watching the fishing boats.

Dinner out on Saturday night was at the Sandbar. I had the sea bass (so-so) and my wife had the black cod (excellent). No appys or desert as we had theatre tickets and were running late.

And finally, Sunday evening, a burger at Vera's, which I posted about in the Burger Club thread.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

As I lay awake this morning at the ungodly hour of 5:30 a.m., I started thinking about where I've eaten out lately. I realized that I have not been out for a meal since before Christmas unless you count meals at the Hills Guest Ranch, between Christmas and New Years, but the food was so mediocre, I’m trying to erase it from memory. (Everything else about the place was great btw)

So the last three places I've been to:

Feenie's for brunch on a sunny Saturday morning. After reading about their eggs Benny, and the delicious hollandaise sauce, I just had to give them a go. Well, salmon Benny to be exact and man-o-man was it good. I think it has to have been the best brunch I have ever had and that's saying a lot as I love brunch. The eggs were perfect (all the whites cooked which is VERY important to me and which some places don't always accomplish) the salmon was great, the croissant buttery and flaky and that hollandaise sauce.... sublime. The roasted potatoes and salad on the side were also great and they serve really good coffee as well.

So a couple of weeks later, I thought I'd do a salmon Benny test run at The Avenue Grill.... just for comparison sake. Though it was also quite tasty, it really could not come near the standard now set for me by Feenie's.

Then just before Christmas, we went to Le Crocodile. Now I just love this place. I've only eaten their twice now but the food is great and the service.... really top notch. I started off with the onion tart, which was extremely tasty.... though somewhat lacking in presentation with only a tiny sprig of something frondy. Then for my entree I had the steak with a peppercorn sauce. I've only just started eating beef again and let's just say.... I don't know why I've stayed away for so long. I can’t remember what my friend ate but she was very happy with her choices as well. We had wine pairings with each course, an Alsatian white (name escapes me) and with my steak, Fat Bastard Merlot. Both paired well with the food. Unfortunately had to leave before dessert in order to make it to a concert in time but will definitely be back again before this year draws to a close.

From posting this, I see I really need to eat out more often :laugh: and take better notes. :biggrin:

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Last three:

Dinner Wednesday night at Raga, on W. Broadway. The place was almost empty, at 7:00pm. I always feel a little sorry for a large restaurant that's empty and you know it's only going to get more empty as the night goes on. Had vegetable pakora as an appetizer - a little doughy and missing the dusting of salty seasoning I'm used to. Then had butter chicken and aloo gobi, both OK. I'm a big fan of butter chicken, but this instance scored a little too high on the Campbell's cream of tomato soup taste scale.

Lunch Friday at Pho Thy on Victoria. I've been there many times, but this time brought along several co-workers - most of whom were pho virgins. We all got small pho's, and split a couple meat ball subs and some orders of spring rolls. Verdict from all was that it was great, and they all thanked me for taking them on such a great, thrilling adventure. That made me feel good, but I couldn't help but think they really need to get out of the office more often.

Lunch today at Hon's in Richmond for dim sum. Started with some pan fried chicken pot stickers, then moved on to a chicken curry w/ rice, steamed prawn pockets and sticky rice. All good. Nobody hustles faster than the staff at Hon's. I should volunteer to work there for 45 minutes a day, in lieu of the stairmaster workouts I'm not doing.

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

Last several; not counting West which was recounted elsewhere.

Lunch today at the Kolachy Shop, new Muffaletta (yum!) and some cous cous salad, and then I tried to not want dessert, but I failed. Poppyseed kolachy washed down with a lovely new vintage Barq's to add that certain je ne sais quoi.

Lunch yesterday, the misnamed but still delicious Philly Cheesesteak at the Beatty Street Bar & Grill, and I restrained myself from snarfing the onion rings (very difficult: they do them battered rather than breaded, soooooooooo good) and had a salad instead.

Dinner Saturday: in Whistler, the Fondue Dinner at the Crystal Hut, Blackcomb Mountain, which is at the end of a longish and quite thrilling (or possibly unsettling if that's an issue for you) ride up on a snowcat. The fondue was surprisingly good (broth and cheese), the wine was Jackson Triggs, and the dessert was Bumbleberry Pie a la mode.

Dinner Thursday: The Brewhouse in Whistler, I am trying to remember what I ate. I drank a Lifty Lager, I remember that much....I think I had some crab cakes and a salad?? Good Lord.

Lunch Thursday: Taco Bell in Squamish. It wasn't particularly pretty, but it was fast and easy and they didn't want Timmy's.

Breakfast Thursday: The Templeton for some yummy eggs and whatnot, with the superfab Rosemary Potatoes. We were very happy with the food, and since we were the first customers, we were lucky enough to score the Wonder Woman booth. What else can you ask for?

Dinner Wednesday: took the Bride and Groom to Shiru-Bay on Hamilton Street, we ate edamame, the prawns with sweet chili mayonnaise, some fabulous salmon tartare, some great yellowtail sashimi with kiwi fruit and I can't remember the sauce, some seared mackerel thing, and really, I'm surprised I can remember that much. We had some nice cold sake with, the daily special, on top of the martinis and Jameson's consumed chez moi (edit: oh! not to mention the bottle of Lanson! :laugh:)...my jetlagging friends were ready to collapse, but it was only 6:30 p.m., so I dragged them unwillingly into the HSG for (what else? :rolleyes:) the Gingerbread Pudding.

They were agreeing with me only out of politeness. I said, trust me. Our puddings came (ye gods! huge portion! I had only seen Peppyre's Birthday Extravaganza) and the only (semi)coherent words out of the two of them were WOW and OMIGOD DEBORAH. The Groom polished his off, and then finished what the Bride and I could not. More converts!!! :cool:

Edited by *Deborah* (log)

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Last three:

Dinner Wednesday night at Raga, on W. Broadway.  The place was almost empty, at 7:00pm.  I always feel a little sorry for a large restaurant that's empty and you know it's only going to get more empty as the night goes on.  Had vegetable pakora as an appetizer - a little doughy and missing the dusting of salty seasoning I'm used to.  Then had butter chicken and aloo gobi, both OK.  I'm a big fan of butter chicken, but this instance scored a little too high on the Campbell's cream of tomato soup taste scale.

I've been wondering about Raga for years, but never make it there, just last night I was driving past and thought how does this place stay alive. Is it worthy of being added to the must try list? What else have you had there or was it your first time?

My last 3:

Bis Moreno and West for DOV...I've already posted about both.

Last night...walked down to Fresgno's Inn for a greasy burger but they were closing (only open until 1 am from Sunday-Thursday, but still open 24 hours Friday and Saturday). Then I tried Fritz's because I haven't had poutine in a while--also closed. Ended up with garlic cheese pizza at Fresh Slice (seems a little cleaner than the other 99 cent pizza places.) It wasn't horrible, but maybe I was just really hungry because I was watching Iron Chef America (which my bf thoughtfully taped for me).

Last three:

Dinner Wednesday night at Raga, on W. Broadway.  The place was almost empty, at 7:00pm.  I always feel a little sorry for a large restaurant that's empty and you know it's only going to get more empty as the night goes on.  Had vegetable pakora as an appetizer - a little doughy and missing the dusting of salty seasoning I'm used to.  Then had butter chicken and aloo gobi, both OK.  I'm a big fan of butter chicken, but this instance scored a little too high on the Campbell's cream of tomato soup taste scale.

I've been wondering about Raga for years, but never make it there, just last night I was driving past and thought how does this place stay alive. Is it worthy of being added to the must try list? What else have you had there or was it your first time?

I'd give Raga a pass. There are many Indian restaurants in town that surpass it. We ate there about a year ago as well, and it was OK. It's still "OK" but not worth making a special trip, IMHO.

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

My last 3:

Last night...walked down to Fresgno's Inn for a greasy burger but they were closing (only open until 1 am from Sunday-Thursday, but still open 24 hours Friday and Saturday). Then I tried Fritz's because I haven't had poutine in a while--also closed. Ended up with garlic cheese pizza at Fresh Slice (seems a little cleaner than the other 99 cent pizza places.) It wasn't horrible, but maybe I was just really hungry because I was watching Iron Chef America (which my bf thoughtfully taped for me).

Isn't hitting 3 places in one night about par for the course for you, Ling? :raz:

My last 3:

Isn't hitting 3 places in one night about par for the course for you, Ling? :raz:

Ling - you ARE a machine. I am in awe and humbled by your eating abilities. :biggrin:

My last 3:

Ling - you ARE a machine. I am in awe and humbled by your eating abilities. :biggrin:

I hit three places but I didnt eat at all three!! :laugh: