• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Truth be told: Where've you eaten lately? (Part 1)

Mooshmouse

I don't always post where I have eaten out, frankly it is embarassing how much I of a restaurant glutton I am.

Tuesday: Dinner One - Milestone's with co-workers, nothing great but nothing bad. Had a burger platter and it was servicable. Went to their orginal English Bay locale and it is a nice little spot.

Tuesday: Dinnger Two - Okada. Could not eat too much but had Wild Sockeye Sashimi, Tuna Tataki, Seafood Salad, Grilled Hamachi Neck, and Ume Ozucha. What a difference wild salmon makes - lean, sweet, flavorful vs. fatty, flabby, and vaugely fishy. Good Good.

Wednesday: Dinner - La Regalade. Now that it is getting warmer, I wanted to have a meal their before the summer heat takes my appetite away for heavy french fare. Braised short ribs and Roasted Duck w/ Fruit were particular standouts. The duck is a standard item on the menu and it is my idea of perfect fowl. The duck is cooked through which helps takes some of the richness out of it and it is paired with grapes and a stone fruit. As usual - came away with a lot of leftovers. I am not sure if I have upset the hostess - but I am now usually seated in the Siberia part of the restaurant (but then again - I saw Sarah Machlachlan seated in the same place - so maybe it is not so bad). The service is brusque and built for volume - so don't go looking for Gallic charm. I think it actully throws me off when service is super friendly in a french restaurant (ie: Salade de Fruits).

Dinner tonight was in Calgary at a restaurant chosen by an important (soon-to-be-former) customer of mine.  I told her I'd take her anywhere she wanted to go for dinner as a thank-you for the business she sent my way this year, and she choose The Smugglers Inn across from the Chinook Centre.

Too funny, with all the great spots to dine in "Cow Town" your client picks a moldy, oldy like The Smugglers.

Your description of the interior, the absence of light, the salad bar is spot on. I do not think that it has changed in years and years

It has been a few years since my last visit. Did have some Fred Flintstone-like sized bone-on prime rib steak that was quite good but everything else was very forgettable.

Just searched for your Peter's Drive-In review. The milkshakes are the only thing worth going there for. I think nostaglia plays a large role in its continuing success as most people who grew up in Alberta have stopped at Peter's en route to or coming back from Banff or other spots in the mountains.

Vancouver Lee,

Why is it those old steakhouses are so lugubrious? If it wasn't for all the garlic, you'd think they were run by vampires. There was even a place in Saskatoon called "The Cave", with fake stallactites made of stuccoed chicken wire. It's as if you have to hide your guilt-ridden glutonny in a deep, dark place.

When in Calgary, you must go to the River Cafe (www.river-cafe.com). Rocky Mountain Cuisine in the park. The staff are sweet and know their stuff. This is one of my favorite places to eat.

Zuke.

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

When in Calgary, you must go to the River Cafe (www.river-cafe.com). Rocky Mountain Cuisine in the park. The staff are sweet and know their stuff. This is one of my favorite places to eat.

Zuke.

Hilarious - my client actually told me last night that I should try the River Cafe, too. Go figure. :laugh:

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

Too funny, with all the great spots to dine in "Cow Town" your client picks a moldy, oldy like The Smugglers.

As last night was my last night out with an expense account, I was MOST unhappy we ended up at Smugglers.

Just searched for your Peter's Drive-In review.  The milkshakes are the only thing worth going there for.  I think nostaglia plays a large role in its continuing success as most people who grew up in Alberta have stopped at Peter's en route to or coming back from Banff or other spots in the mountains.

Yeah, that makes sense. It sure isn't the great burgers that keep them coming.

www.leecarney.com

Last weekend, La Provence Marinaside for a Sunday brunch. We wait until the little one exhibits signs of imminent napping which is usually around noon, after which we call some friends and make a beeline for the place. He will pass out in the car and sleep blissfully in his stroller through brunch.

A 'basket of baked goods' will be devoured, freshly baked croissants and muffins slathered in butter and jam. This is followed by the usual brunch fare, French toast, eggs benny, etc. The food is always good. I guess I just I really like that place for brunch, the room is spacious and light and there is enough place for stroller parking :smile:

Sunday evening we visited friends who ordered Chinese takeout. It was horrible and I have repressed all memories of it.

I was inspired by Jamie's article on Michel Jacob to make a reservation at Le Crocodile for last night. I have to admit after 8 years in Vancouver, this was the first time we ate there. (shame on us!) It certainly didn't disappoint, I had the mushroom and tomato tartlet followed by one of the evening's specials, Caribou tenderloin. I love this kind of game meat, tender and juicy with that little bit of extra flavor telling you that it isn't cow you are eating. It was served with a red wine reduction and seasoned with fresh rosemary. Delicious. Connie had the tuna wrapped crab salad which she loved and another special, halibut in a brown butter sauce. We had chocolate crepes with hazelnut mousse for dessert. Connie remarked that maybe I should do a 'super size me' movie but instead of eating MacDonald's for a month I should eat French food. I am up for the challenge, anyone willing to sponsor, give me a call. :smile:

Le Crocodile certainly lives up to its reputation, the place seems to run very smoothly, our server was skillful and friendly, the food outstanding. Even Connie who is ever the skeptic when it comes to French food (eeewww...frogs legs!) admitted she really liked it. I am sure won't be another 8 years before I go back there.

Stefan Posthuma

Beer - Chocolate - Cheese

Chocoholic, we missed you at Le Crocodile by a day! It too was our first time enjoying their food.

Started out with the Mushroom and Onion Tartlets given to us to "Wet the appetite".

Next we shared a Seared Foie Gras appetizer on greens with Crispy potato special.

Yummy then had the Lobster potato salad, while I thoroughly enjoyed the Seared Scallop salad.

For main courses my beautiful bride had the Caribou Tenderloin and I inhaled a Bison Rib eye. Both cooked to a perfect Med. rare.

Accompanied by a gorgeous '02 Benziger Cabernet Sauv. from Sonoma.

For dessert we we're thoroughly stuffed but still did manage to make an order of their Chocolate Ganache Tart with fresh oranges disappear.

We loved the little Milk and Dark Chocolate Crocodiles served at the end.

The service, atmosphere, food, and especially my company, we're all wonderful.

Running errands around False Creek and, since it

was a hot and sunny day, decided to take the

recommendations of previous posts to hunt down

this restaurant with the big deck overlooking the waterfront

called Ocean 16 (might have that name wrong). Looked up

and down Leg in Boot Square for it and all we could

find were Stamps and the place next door that's been

there seemingly forever. Figured that couldn't be it

because it doesn't really have a view (obscured by

stairway and boats) and its deck is so small only

about four or five tables could fit on it. But as we

approached and saw the name, sure enough, that's the

place everyone was raving about. Weird. Not at all

what I'd imagined from the postings. I had this vision

of this vast, Monk McQueen's-sized deck jutting out into

the water.

Anyhoo, checked out the menu and, since it was afternoon

- too late for lunch, too early for dinner - we thought we'd stop

in for a snack. No such luck. There were just four items listed,

and none appealed. So we went up the stairs to good ol'

reliable Stamp's. Homongenized food, but good view.

Fish and chips at the Windjammer on Main and 15th (I think).

Humungous fish - cod, halibut and salmon - all good. This time

I tried the scallops and chips. Lots of big plump juicy scallops.

Plus I asked them to throw in an oyster to taste. Even though

it was deep fried, it still tasted like the sea.

Over at Bowen Island, Blue Eyed Mary's and the pub on the

waterfront (can't remember the name) too packed so we

jumped the ferry back to Horseshoe Bay and were told by locals

to try out the Bay Moorings right across from the ferry dock.

Large deck overlooking the bay, terrific thin crust pizza and

fat prawns in garlic sauce, sopped up with homemade bread.

Yum. They make their own dough on the premises for that

and their pizza. Nice atmosphere, friendly waitstaff, reasonably

priced menu with lots of Greek and seafood selections and, man,

what a view!

Speaking of Bowen, anyone eaten over there? I've only ever

had a snack at that pub that I can never remember the name of.

Apparently the Italian place called, Tuscany, I think, is really good,

and Blue Eyed Mary's is supposedly great, but never tried them.

Interested to hear reports. I don't think I've ever seen reports of

Bowen on these threads. Guess I better start a new thread or Arne

will be all over me for going off topic......

Speaking of Bowen, anyone eaten over there? I've only ever had a snack at that pub that I can never remember the name of.

Ah yes. Doc Morgan's. The venue for our infamous Jack and Jill Stag that will go down in the annals of drinking history as the most alcohol consumed at a libationary establishment by a group. Ever. :cool::laugh:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Friday night: had some beers and a few slices of pizza at the Steamworks in Gastown, then walked up to Cassis. I had bouillebaisse and my wife had the salade nicoise after half a dozen oysters. Excellent.

Saturday we had dinner at Il Nopalito. the Mexican restaurant in North Van on Third just west of Lonsdale. Slow service, but perhaps the most authentic Mexican I've had in Vancouver. Great margaritas and cheap: four of us, appies, mains, a pitcher of margaritas, several Coronas and glasses of wine -- $120.

Today, Sunday, I had to drive my eldest son out to Delta for a regatta at an ungodly hour so we ended up in Richmond at 8:30 am looking for breakfast. Ended up having dim sum at the Floata. Too early for carts, so we ordered from the menu. Not bad, but not as good at the Floata downtown.

Paul B

I've eaten at both Doc Morgan's and Blue Eyed Mary's.

Doc M's is more of a drop in casual place. Besides many a pitcher of beer accompanied by pub food, we actually had a "family" dinner there once to show off the west coast to a crowd from the UK. They did a BBQ that night (ribs, chicken) which was okay, although I opted for the prime rib I think. There is nothing earth-shattering on the menu; however, if you know anyone with a boat, coerce them into sailing lazily over to Bowen, buy them a beer and some appys at Doc M's, and then sail home. One of the best ways to spend a summer's day.

It was just last night that N and I were trying to recall what the hell we did for our anniversary last year. Answer: Blue Eyed Mary's. Much more of a destination place, so if you don't make a reservation, you are probably not getting in. Chef Carol is ex Bishop's. I can't remember what we had, though it is fairly safe to assume that I had red meat (filet mignon maybe?) and N had fish (prawns?), but the evening as a whole was totally enjoyable - despite the late summer rains. I'll blame this episode of memory blur on the overwhelming romance of the evening... :wink:

*If you are without a boat or a place to stay for the night, note with particular importance the time of the last ferry!

Thursday lunch - some takeout sushi place across from Library Square

Met with an ex-worker, and shared a california roll, salmon & avocado roll (it wasn't too bad, but not outstanding), & tako yaki (grilled octopus balls). The sushi is surprisingly cheap for a downtown place (california roll was $1.87), and the tako yaki was really good. You can't really get these everywhere, & I was quite surprised to find them on the menu here. For those of you who've never tried tako yaki before, they're ping-pong-sized balls of batter (mixed with chopped cabbage) that have a small square of octopus stuffed inside. The batter is then grilled in a tako yaki pan, then some kind of sauce (teriyaki?) & mayonnaise is drizzled onto the tako yaki. They're supposed to end up slightly crispy on the outside, & soft inside, which isn't always the case. You can get them at Guu sometimes, and also at the Richmond night market.

Friday dinner - La Regalade

Excellent as usual! Went with my parents & sister. We shared the steamed mussels in a white wine sauce (& of course soaked up all the yummy sauce with bread!) and some kind of salad (Provencal I think it was?) that had anchovies, green beans, sliced radishes, fennel, & olives in it. I don't remember what the dressing was - something herb-y. It's a new menu item, presumably for the summer. It was good, but didn't really impress me - good in a homemade kinda way. We shared 3 entrees: braised beef short ribs smothered in green peppercorn sauce (Delicious!! We had leftovers of this & added zucchinis the next night), roast duck (roasted with pears & apples - yummy!!) & prime rib (with roasted garlic & shallots). The prime rib was disappointing - in the past, it's been superb: slightly crispy on the outside, yet perfectly medium rare on the inside. This time, my mom had a hand in the ordering, and she has the worst luck ever when it comes to ordering her meats medium rare - even when everybody orders the same thing, she seems to get the only piece that's cooked medium. So this time, the prime rib was overcooked to medium (no surprise to my mom...). For dessert, we got 2 tarts: the new rhubarb mousse tart with strawberries & raspberries (perfect for summer!) & a nice zesty lemon tart. The crust was nice &...crusty :biggrin:

Saturday lunch - The Rich Ocean Seafood Restaurant (on Broadway & Heather)

Dim with family friends. I didn't eat much since we had a heavy dinner the night before & I was sick last week. I always try the "har gow" (aka shrimp dumplings) whenever I go to dim sum restaurants, because I figure that if they can't get a staple of dim sum right, they can't be too good. The outside clear part of the dumpling is supposed to be slightly chewy & not too thick or sticky. The shrimp stuffing inside sometimes contains bamboo shoots, & sometimes "snow fungus" to give it that extra crunch, and may or may not have sesame oil incorporated into it. The har gow at this place was pretty good, though the clear part was a bit too thick, IMO, & the shrimp filling didn't have enough sesame oil in it. Also had some fried rice with chicken & dried scallop (chicken was nicely browned). Dessert was coconut pudding, which was quite light (nice triple layer separation), & "double-layer" steamed milk custard, which was a bit watery for my liking.

Chocomoo!

Thanks so much for tracking down some tako yaki. I've lined up for them at the Powell Street Festival and fell in love with them. I will make a trek to the library ASAP.

Zuke

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

Chocomoo!

Thanks so much for tracking down some tako yaki. I've lined up for them at the Powell Street Festival and fell in love with them. I will make a trek to the library ASAP.

Zuke

Zuke

If you have an affinity to tako yaki - go to the Richmond Night Market. Let me warn you though - it is the most crowded scary night market ever. It is like something out of Blade Runner - except with more grime.

That being said - one cannot help get swept up in the moment and eat everthing in sight. You will put things in your mouth that would astound your mother.

If you have an affinity to tako yaki - go to the Richmond Night Market.  Let me warn you though - it is the most crowded scary night market ever.  It is like something out of Blade Runner - except with more grime.

That being said - one cannot help get swept up in the moment and eat everthing in sight.  You will put things in your mouth that would astound your mother.

WOW - with a description like that, I MUST check the place out!!!!

Lee, would you expand a little on the Night Market? I've never been, and am suddenly very curious...

www.leecarney.com

If you have an affinity to tako yaki - go to the Richmond Night Market.  Let me warn you though - it is the most crowded scary night market ever.  It is like something out of Blade Runner - except with more grime.

That being said - one cannot help get swept up in the moment and eat everthing in sight.  You will put things in your mouth that would astound your mother.

WOW - with a description like that, I MUST check the place out!!!!

Lee, would you expand a little on the Night Market? I've never been, and am suddenly very curious...

Ooooh, I sense an eGulleter field trip in the offing. We chatted about Richmond Night Market over lunch last week, and a group of us are definitely planning to make a trip out there one Friday evening. It's row upon row of stalls, food sellers in one area and merchandise vendors in another. Dumplings, stinky tofu... my head is swimming trying to think of all the different delicacies being made right before your eyes. That being said, it's worth it just for the Dragon's Beard Candy and the stuffed waffles alone... also, for me, a secret little jewel of a Filipino kiosk that sells some pretty tasty ginataang bilo-bilo. And the retail hawker stands put the PNE's Showmart to shame.

Go hungry. Definitely go hungry. And bring lots of cash. You'll eat your way through your pocketbook in no time.

(If anyone's interested in a Night Market sojourn, PM me. :smile: )

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Here's a tip: about 1/2 hour before the Night Market closes, most of the food vendors mark their food at 50% off. And during the last 15 minutes, some of the vendors practically give their food away.

I've never had good bubble tea there (in fact, it's quite horrible--warm tap water, with a few scoops of powder thrown in at the last minute, so it doesn't get completely mixed in), but the Dragon Beard candy is always good. I usually get the curry fish balls, the puffy, egg-y thing made from crepe batter made in a waffle-iron like contraption (not the best I've had, but the guy is so entertaining! :laugh: ) and the tako yaki. And they usually have Those Little Donuts too! :smile:

I love night market. I hate the swarming crowds of clueless dumbasses. Why do peoples IQ's seem to drop about fifty points prior entering a crowded area?

Dragon Beard is the single greatest invention since internet porn.

It also used to be better back in the day when you could pickup advance preview copies of todays popular theatrical releases on DVD. There are still about a million fantastic things to eat there though. I like the cherry tomatoes on a stick covered in a hard candy shell. Weird and tasty.

I love night market. I hate the swarming crowds of clueless dumbasses. Why do peoples IQ's seem to drop about fifty points prior entering a crowded area?

I often wonder the same thing in relation to the purchase of a new computer or printer...what is is about opening that box that turns people into mental midgets? But I digress...

I heard yesterday that there will be a grand total of 63 different food vendors at this years market...sounds like my kind of place.

Where does one park? Is there a shuttle from somewhere? Public Transport of any kind? Can anyone recommend the least stressful method of getting there and then getting out again?

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

It is located behind the Home Depot just off Bridgeport - near the Ikea in Richmond. I don't think that there is any public transportation - you park as close as you can and they be prepared to hike.

The night market is located behind the Cathay Importer's warehouse - so it is out of view as you walk towards it. You hear this dis-embodied music and as you march towards the pretty lights - it is a combination of what you imagine the afterlife to be and the mass alien conversion they do in the Body Snatchers.

They had some interesting food. Lot's of stuff on sticks, stinky tofu (rebranded as Tawainese Cheese), roti to dip in curries, bacon wrapped hot dogs stuffed with cheese (terrible), dim sums, pancakes stuffed with red bean, custard, or peanut butter, all chased down with luke warmish pop. It is what PNE food would be like it were relocated to HK.

It is sooooo full of people though - it sometimes feels like you are waiting in the Customs line ups after a long haul Cathay Pacific flight.

I've found that the tako yaki at the Richmond night market isn't as good as the place across from library square - there are always lineups at the tako yaki stands at the night market, so not as much care goes into making the tako yaki (I've never had nice crispy tako yaki at the night market). However, I do like the fact that some stands sprinkle shredded nori & ginger on top of the tako yaki in Richmond. A food stall in Aberdeen Centre also sells tako yaki, but don't get it there - the batter inside was undercooked...

My sister always always gets the fake shark's fin soup at night market - made with glass noodles (is that the name? I've also seen it called bean thread) instead of shark's fin. There are a few stalls that sell the soup, but some are much better than others in that they have lots of ingredients in the soup (cloud ear fungus, Chinese mushrooms, small pieces of pork, lots of glass noodles).

I got jap chae at the Korean place last year, and it was really good!

Izumi-ya has a stand there as well, & like Ling said, at the end of the night, you get tons of yummy gyoza.

Haha, yeah, the puffy egg thing, that guy is Sam, who used to own Sam's dessert house (or whatever it was called) in Yaohan. I guess he's from Hong Kong, because he speaks Cantonese quite well! :laugh: I love those puffy egg things! Parker Place has a stall that has really good ones.

Friday night:

Had my first dinner at Shiru-Bay. Ordered the famous deep-fried ebi with chili-mayo (definitely the best dish of the ones I sampled), some sort of vegetarian fried rice (quite different from Chinese fried rice--this was rather wet, and covered in a sauce that tasted like chicken stock thickened with cornstarch, with beaten egg swirled in), beef carpaccio with matchsticks of Fuji apple and truffle oil, negitoro on buttered toast, marinated tako wrapped in nori (an appetizer that came near the end of the meal) and seared bonito (slightly fishy-tasting, but am told this is characteristic of the fish). The chef also offered me a taste of the cinnamon/maple braised ribs--a bit unbalanced in sweetness, imo. I think the only dish I would go back for is the ebi with mayo--I could eat a few platters of those. Plump, sweet prawns encased in a light-tasting, hot-out-of-the-fryer coating, smothered in spicy mayonnaise. Fat on fat. What's not to like? I tasted many glasses of wine, but nothing stood out.

Then I headed to Umami with the intention to only get the blue cheese creme brulee, but I guess I wouldn't be Ling if I didn't eat a second dinner, now would I? :raz: So I started with the creme brulee and the matcha semifreddo (both good, but not great desserts--the creme brulee had less of that salty blue-cheese flavour I loved) and then I moved onto the seared duck breast with gobo, cranberry and cherry demi-glace, and sauteed wild mushrooms. Quite delicious--I especially enjoyed the crispy duck skin. My favourite dish of the night--in fact, possibly the BEST pasta dish I'd ever eaten--was the wild mushroom pasta with shredded nori. The smell of the nori hits you before you dig into the earthy, chewy tagliatelle. The wine list is very reasonably priced. :wub:

Monday night:

Dinner at Adesso Bistro. (I am slowing trying to get my friends to stop going to places like Moxie's and Milestone's all the time. :raz: ) I finally had the veal with spicy tuna mayonnaise--it was good, but could've used some black pepper. I drank a glass of Tempranillo. Shared the calamari (different from what I remember--much lighter coating...barely coated, actually), the chorizo pizza (crust wasn't as flaky and delicate, but it was still thin), and the marscapone cheesecake with spiced apple and caramel (the cheesecake base was a bit too sweet for me, but I really enjoyed the rich taste and smell of the egg yolks in this recipe).

Edited by Ling (log)

I've found that the tako yaki at the Richmond night market isn't as good as the place across from library square - there are always lineups at the tako yaki stands at the night market, so not as much care goes into making the tako yaki (I've never had nice crispy tako yaki at the night market).

I love those puffy egg things!  Parker Place has a stall that has really good ones.

You're right--I only get tako yaki when a friend is lining up for them anyway, and can get me an order. The lines are way too long, and they're not the best. Still a good snack, though.

I get the puffy egg things from Parker Place too! I agree, they are better than the Night Market ones. smile.gif

Host's note: this topic continues here: "Truth be told: Where've you eaten lately? (Part 2)"

Edited by Smithy (log)