• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Truth be told: Where've you eaten lately? (Part 1)

Mooshmouse

It's reassuring to know that I'm not the only one who was disappointed by my Go Fish! experience. To be fair, I thought the location was great, the menu appealing, and the use of the bamboo steamers inspired. In other words, I thought they packaged their product well.

However, I found the fish and chips to be adequate. Decent but certainly not stellar enough to warrant so much praise. I think the fact that I had to wait well over 25 minutes for fish and chips was a little bit much. I went a while back so I was hoping that the kitchen had found its rhythm.

"There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea."

~ Henry James, The Portrait of a Lady

Tara Lee

Literary and Culinary Rambles

http://literaryculinaryrambles.blogspot.com

Speaking of the emperor's new clothes ... I went to Tojo's last week and I was sad to say that the restaurat did not live up to its critical acclaim. First of all, the decor was quite lacklustre and I think was run-down enough to warrant considerable renovation work. Secondly, the service bordered on rude. One of the servers was extremely abrupt with us and on several occasions said things like "What do you want?" when we required assistance.

My friends and I had the $50 Chef's Arrangement - tuna sashimi, smoked salmon with greens, halibut cheeks, a sushi platter, and mango iceceram. The dishes were satisfactory but not particularly innovative or mind blowing. Also, I had to land up eating a second dinner when I returned home because I was still extremely hungry by the end of the meal.

Frankly, I wouldn't have been half so critical if the establishment hadn't been Tojo's. It just seemed to me that he was resting a little bit on his laurels.

"There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea."

~ Henry James, The Portrait of a Lady

Tara Lee

Literary and Culinary Rambles

http://literaryculinaryrambles.blogspot.com

With regards to Go Fish...

Nice fresh fish, good batter, a bit on the greasy side which indicated to me perhaps the issue in the kitchen was they forgot to turn on the fryer...

So much for exercising great restraint.

Very unfortunate this happened to you, but I don't think it's the norm although the first time I went there one of their fryers was down so they suggested we don't have the fries. It bothers me they didn't tell their customers there were problems especially if the oil wasn't hot enough...you can't deep fry in 'warm' oil. I, too, don't think the fish and chips are fantastic, but their oyster burger sure is (grilled). I always tell people to have the oyster burger.

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

I hate to say it, but I do think it was the norm...I think that is just the way is. I did see the oyster burger...I don't eat oysters - I can't get past the fact that you have to eat the guts - but it looked nice for what it was, and the guy who was eating it said it was good. I also think that for 8 bucks, they could put on a couple more oysters and toss in some fries tho :-)

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

I hate to say it, but I do think it was the norm...I think that is just the way is.

At the risk of sounding like a shill ... on what do you base this opinion? One visit? I've been numerous times and have only experienced mediocre fries once.

He had the same nasty coleslaw and the tartar sauce was completely inedible...it had that kind of scum on it that only comes from mayonnaise sitting uncovered in the fridge for too long...like overnight.
my emphasis

This is the kind of comment that drives me nuts. I have no problem with you not liking the tartar sauce or the coleslaw. But to speculate like this is just irresponsible. Unless you work there, or saw the tartar sauce sitting out overnight, you have no way of knowing. Perhaps you like less oil on your coleslaw, perhaps the coleslaw was oily on that day. Those are all fair comment. Speculation is not IMO.

Honestly, this isn't fine dining and I hope I've never presented Go Fish! as such. It's simple food, well done IMO. Maybe you expected more.

A.

This is the kind of comment that drives me nuts.  I have no problem with you not liking the tartar sauce or the coleslaw.  But to speculate like this is just irresponsible.  Unless you work there, or saw the tartar sauce sitting out overnight, you have no way of knowing. Perhaps you like less oil on your coleslaw, perhaps the coleslaw was oily on that day.  Those are all fair comment.  Speculation is not IMO.

Uhm, Arne, I don't think Badiane was speculating she was just trying to describe what the mayo looked like so we could all get the mental picture.

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

This is the kind of comment that drives me nuts.  I have no problem with you not liking the tartar sauce or the coleslaw.  But to speculate like this is just irresponsible.  Unless you work there, or saw the tartar sauce sitting out overnight, you have no way of knowing. Perhaps you like less oil on your coleslaw, perhaps the coleslaw was oily on that day.  Those are all fair comment.  Speculation is not IMO.

Uhm, Arne, I don't think Badiane was speculating she was just trying to describe what the mayo looked like so we could all get the mental picture.

An I think, Arnie...in my humble opinion...if you research Badiane's past posts you might find that his/her speculations may be educated. Likewise, I have had simular experiences at said establishment and questioned the infrastructure when I witnessed coleslaw and tartar sauce sitting on the counter. I will be checking the Health Board review of this location before I return!

READ CHEW DISCUSS (...and never have to worry about the headmaster!)

Edited by cubilularis (log)

To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art La Rochefoucauld

Yup...describing, not speculating. Sorry if I irked you. Your opinion differs and good on ya...that's what makes the world go round.

Scott Stratten

He had the same nasty coleslaw and the tartar sauce was completely inedible...it had that kind of scum on it that only comes from mayonnaise sitting uncovered in the fridge for too long...like overnight.

Oh I'm sure that was the case. I agree, from Badiane's previous posts I have no question that there was/is no alterior motive here. My apologies if I implied otherwise.

My comment, which I still stand by, was that the statement (highlited above) was not a description but a statement of fact. Saying that the "scum" on the mayo only comes from sitying out over night is the same as saying that they did in fact leave it out over night. Again, there is no proof of this unless somebody saw it.

Yup...describing, not speculating.  Sorry if I irked you.  Your opinion differs and good on ya...that's what makes the world go round.

I don't disagree with the storage of the mayo ... but it's never tasted bad to me. My issue was not with what you said, but how you said it. Nit picky I know, but there it is.

A.

No apologies necessary, it's all good - I enjoy these exchanges, keeps me on my toes!

I didn't say it was sitting out overnight, I said it appeared to me that it was uncovered in the fridge for too long - big difference...but I agree, it could have been made more clear that I was speculating, not that I had photos to back it up. I do stand by my statement that the coleslaw and tartar sauce were unrefrigerated during service, tho, because I witnessed that with my own eyes. Might be okay in March, not going to be so good in June, if you know what I mean.

And just to clarify, when I said I suspect this is the norm, I meant the service, cleanliness level, organization of the line and such. I know that the same way you, Arne, can probably walk into a room and spot the design flaws. It is part of my being, part of my training and part of my life experience.

That's what's so great about this site...the exchange of ideas and opinions is terrific...wish I'd met you all sooner :-)

Scott Stratten

My last few:

All yesterday:  :huh:

Lilykate: I had the pork stroganoff, which was OK, but I preferred the chicken and bean stew that Joie and her husband ordered. The sandwiches looked pretty good as well. Good desserts--I recommend both the Chocolate Buttermilk cake (thanks PaoPao for pointing us in this direction) and the coconut layer cake.

Ganache Patisserie: I had the chevre cheesecake with cassis and almond biscotti crust--my favourite of the few new desserts we sampled.

Aurora Bistro: please see this thread http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=62979&st=30 for my comments and pictures.  :smile:

And today...EAT! Vancouver. And yes, I did eat. I probably ate my 12 dollar ticket price's worth at the KozyShack stand alone.  :laugh:

Glad to hear you liked my to fav desserts there. They have a new one that is a chocolate layer cake with vanilla crème and raspberry. It's pretty good.

If you take one of the Chocolate Buttermilk Squares home I recommend chilling it for about 15 - 20 minutes. To me doing this gets it a bit more dense and rich while still being just as moist.

go fish

they were as busy as others have found, yet managed to fry up a few halibuts for us with a very light batter, and fries to match. the thai inspired salmon chowder was wonderful. totally enjoyable lunch in the style of new england crab shacks. loved it.

in a similar vein, salumi

Mario's fathers place in seattle is a hole in the wall lunch spot, with a few communal tables to tuck into a variety of salami dishes with abandon. the staff were friendly and welcoming even with a line out the door, and suggested a cold plate of their salami as a first experience. I opted for a warm/with cheese/fennel sausage sandwich which turned out to be warm tomato sauce poured over the sandwich, and the onions and green peppers from the sauce complimented the fennel sausage very well.

sushicat's plate of salami was interesting for the range of flavours (from fennel to mole)and for the unabashed nothing-but-meat presentation.

it is the kind of place with a jug of wine on the table, and those little glasses to drink it with, and more than once I had to catch myself from straying a hand towards one (we were driving) :hmmm:

Decafalon (n.): The grueling event of getting through the day consuming only things that are good for you. twofish@iyume.com

Yes, I'd trade three Go Fish! to Seattle for one Salumi, maybe four. I've always been interested in renting the place for one of their dinners. Seats a dozen, you need to buy the restaurant for the evening.

Someone needs to play culinary matchmaker, introduce Oyama, Amis Des Frommage and Ecco Il Pane, let the three of them spend a boozy night in a cheap motel. The result of the union would be pleasantly Salumi like.

Lunch at Fortune Restaurant with my mom. My mom has been doing a lot of dim sum with her Cantonese friends, whose idea for dim sum is precisely "less eating, more chatting". They usualy only order 3~4 dishes for a table of 3! Anyway, so my mom and I only ordered 3 savory dim sum and 1 dessert. We had the bake pork pastry, deep fried taro balls, bean curd wrapper with veggies, and crushed peanuts sesame dumplings--everything my mom likes. The taro dumplings had pork in it and too little taro, so I didn't really like it. The sweet sesame dumplings were very good; hot filing!

Another weekend, another chance to feed my face!

Thursday lunch was at Ocean 6 Seveteen. I really hope this location is kind to the new tenants. Easily one of the nicest decks in the city! Justin had a grilled chicken sandwich and fries, I had a bowl of chilled tomato soup and the salmon/risotto cakes. Really really nice! The soup was not as much like gaspacho as I was expecting, but was perfectly refeshing. The risotto cakes were nice and crispy, and were filled with creme fraiche (or something like it ... didn't take notes :rolleyes: ). Salad of pea sprouts in a tangy citrus vinaigrette on the side. Great lunch.

Phnom Penh for lunch with the Lunch Mafia on Friday. Mooshmouse et al can fill in the details I missed ... Garlic Squid, Garlic Chicken Wings, Butter Chicken, Papaya Salad, Cambodian Noodles, some vegetable matter Ling was afraid of :laugh: ... all washed down with Vietnamese Iced Coffee. As good as Phnom Pehn was at my first visit, it was even better with a larger group.

The Mill Friday after work in an ever-ending quest to find the best deck in the Lower Mainland. The Mill doesn't have a deck so much as it has a vast portion of the Seawall on which it is allowed to place tables and chairs ... and yes, umbrellas! :shock: Being follically challenged, coverage is important. :laugh: The umbrellas however were not required as the towers in the area did a great job of blocking out the sun. As warm as it was, the shadows cast by the towers had most on the deck looking fro sweatshirts, and one table even asked if the restaurant had blankets!

The food? Not much to say .. nachos, mushroom caps, wings, humous ... all very average. The Moosh's had salmon and halibut entres which they appeared to enjoy. Beers were cold, wine was warm-ish. The service was humourous (not in a good way), and provided us with an evening of entertainment. Our server seemed quite perplexed when "J" asked if we had a wine list. "Oh! You want to SEE it!" When she returned with the list, she flopped it down on the tabel, waved her hand at it and said "wine". Now I don't expect a sommelier, but indifference is another story.

Elixir for breakfast on Saturday morning before my showroom day. Nice room, especially when it's not crowded with people hoping to catch a glimpse of Tony Bourdain :wink: Wasn't too impressed with the coffee, but everything else was fine. Not as good as Provence Marinaside IMO, but a good start to the day nonetheless.

A.

Thursday lunch was at Ocean 6 Seveteen...  The risotto cakes were nice and crispy, and were filled with creme fraiche (or something like it ... didn't take notes  :rolleyes: ).  Salad of pea sprouts in a tangy citrus vinaigrette on the side.  Great lunch.

Phnom Penh for lunch with the Lunch Mafia on Friday.  Mooshmouse et al can fill in the details I missed ... Garlic Squid, Garlic Chicken Wings, Butter Chicken, Papaya Salad, Cambodian Noodles, some vegetable matter Ling was afraid of  :laugh:  ... all washed down with Vietnamese Iced Coffee.  As good as Phnom Pehn was at my first visit, it was even better with a larger group. 

The Mill Friday after work in an ever-ending quest to find the best deck in the Lower Mainland.... The food?  Not much to say .. nachos, mushroom caps, wings, humous ... all very average.  The Moosh's had salmon and halibut entres which they appeared to enjoy.  Beers were cold, wine was warm-ish.  The service was humourous (not in a good way), and provided us with an evening of entertainment.

Ocean 6 Seventeen... you were right on your guess of creme fraiche in the smoked salmon risotto cakes. Yum.

Now. As for Phnom Penh. Was that Butter Chicken the package of mysterious origin that you smuggled in under your coat? :hmmm::raz: You got the menu right: Butter Beef, Spicy Garlic Squid and Spicy Garlic Chicken Wings (the dynamic duo of deep-fried goodness), Green Papaya Salad, "two kinds of noodles" with sliced beef/pork/liver, and Pea Tips in Garlic Sauce that Ling actually professed to like. My only wish is that Vietnamese Iced Coffees were served in larger glasses as they always seem to disappear far too quickly.

Last but not least, The Mill. We had a Warm Salmon Salad with some sort of teriyaki-ish dressing. Good enough. How can you screw up a salad? And halibut that was a mite on the overcooked side with rice that was also a mite on the overcooked side and snap peas. Kind of bland... meh, but edible. Arne was right. Cold beer, warm red wine and tepid white. But it was all about the view and the company anyway. The noise level on that 'patio' must've dropped exponentially after the five of us left. :rolleyes:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

My last few places:

HSG for the La Frenz wine tasting. My favourite wine was probably the Semillon. I had to eat a big plate of salad with this. (Why did I get the biggest plate? :sad: ) Veggies...*shudder* At least the salad had pancetta, cheese, and pistachios!

Later that evening, we went to the Chambar dinner. More wine was consumed (and I think I'm building up my tolerance).

Lunch at Phnom Penh--nothing trumphs the fried garlic squid and the chicken wings. Not even the butter beef, although that's excellent too.

Lunch yesterday was dim sum from this restaurant across from London Drugs in Richmond. The sticky rice bundle was my favourite--it had dried scallops and a whole mess of minced pork. :wub: I also had the rice noodle rolls (with beef, and with shrimp), har gow, some fried triangle with black bean paste, egg tarts, and another stir-fried noodle dish.

No, she really means building up her tolerance.  Wait till you see the pictures from last night.

I would do anything to entertain Joie's cutie-patootie! :laugh: He gave me a flower, showed me how to make a candle "dance", shared his gummi candies with me, sat on my lap, and told me he wanted me to sleep over at his place. What a hot date. :raz:

No, she really means building up her tolerance.  Wait till you see the pictures from last night.

I would do anything to entertain Joie's cutie-patootie! :laugh: He gave me a flower, showed me how to make a candle "dance", shared his gummi candies with me, sat on my lap, and told me he wanted me to sleep over at his place. What a hot date. :raz:

Edited by Vancouver Lee (log)

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

Just left lunch at the Dundarave Fish Market. There was a time last year when I was there all the time (disclosure: I fathered their website on the fly) and I haven't been in much since the good weather started. They're alway too busy. Today, it's raining over here so I thought the lack of a patio crowd would have slowed things down. Not so. They were packed inside - so chock a block I had to sit at the bar (fave perch anyway).

The DFM is a step or two back from fine dining. There is no pretension, no airs, and the service reflects that. It looks like the same team that opened the place (most culled from Saltaire) are still there, serving the West Van bigwigs whenever they decide to shun the foofoo and chow down.

It had to be a quickie so I tried the sesame seared tuna on mixed greens with wasabi lime dressing ($11.95) and it was excellent. Great texture, not over the top with the sesame and portioned just right.

I know not many of you make it over to the North Shore but should you ever find yourself wandering around Dundarave do yourself a favour and check this place out, day or night. The owners (Frank and Kim came to the Chambar dinner) are sea-loving sweethearts and their chefs, Corbin Roger and Shaun Spooner, are young, ambitious, and very much hands-on. They also love where they work, which shines through in the plates.

They've made an otherwise grey day a good one for me. :wub:

Edited by editor@waiterblog (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Last three meals (happily, not a single visit to Denny's or Smitty's among them):

Tuesday night was dinner at the RainCity Grill. My dining companions and I all tried the "6 Spoons" appetizer (which I found most disappointing) and I had duck as a main. It was excellent, and was accompanied by a 2002 Burrowing Owl Merlot (my companion was having venison). Great service, BTW.

Today's lunch was a spur-of-the-moment trip to Da Francesco's for pizza. I just love the vibe in this place, what with all the really old Italian men wearing suits and socializing with each other. Very "Old World". I was also amazed to see that tourists have discovered this place. There were two tables of people who had "not from around here" written all over them. I felt a pang of guilt that perhaps we've made the life of the old guy who waits the tables a little to busy for his liking.....

Dinner tonight was Ocean 6 Seventeen. I was entertaining an executive in my company who had flown in from head office today to meet with a client tomorrow, and I thought it would be a good place to go to get a good meal and to give him a flavour for what Vancouver is all about. The weather was perfect, and the food was amazing. We started by sharing an endive and proscuitto salad and an order of fantastic tuna and mushroom spring rolls. My guest had the lemongrass halibut special (and reported it was terrific) and I had the venison special. Perfectly cooked and tender slices of venison accompanied by roasted beets stuffed with raspberry and goat cheese. :wub::wub::wub: Wow. I'll be making those at home sometime soon....

Edited by Vancouver Lee (log)

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com