• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Truth be told: Where've you eaten lately? (Part 1)

Mooshmouse

Szechuan Chongquin - my first time trying the inexpensive ($2/plate) dim sum. Lots of food, little cash. A nice egullet gathering as mentioned by others. :smile:,

Elysian Room - espresso and a good parking spot. What a combo! La Petite France - Sacher torte. Yuuuum!!!!! Sadly no Ch'i for me that day. Still gotta head over there.

Umami - particularly enjoyed the rack of lamb and the nori and shiso albacore spring rolls. Very creative sauce pairings that complemented the natural flavours. The macha tiramisu was an inventine spin.

Pacific Institute of Culinary Arts Cafe - chocolate raspberry mini-cake. The students did a good job on this one!

Cheers!

It obviously was not enough to get the gingerbread listed as your only obsession again. Being your obsession certainly does not have the same cache now that you have four and not just one. I think you are spreading your obsession a little thin these days. It certainly is not like the good old days when you only had one. Are you getting kickbacks from other places to get on the list ? Is there a little payola going on. I can roll with the big boys if I need to - extra caramel sauce, double pumpkin ice cream, whatever it takes, just get rid of the other guys - Lorna, you are so fickle. Is there no pleasing you ? That's it, we are breaking up, I can't take this level of abuse any longer, you two timer , I mean four timer, hussy !!!! :biggrin:

I moved you to the top of my list, baby. You know you'll always be my number 1 choice when I need a lil late-nite sugar. :wink::wink: You pour that caramel sauce all over yourself the next time I'm in....you know how I like it....

:laugh:

Yesterday:

Hamilton Street Grill: The one and only Gingerbread pudding and a Caesar...Neil forget Lorna you have me...always. :wub:

Today:

To Go Sushi: Maki Sushi Combo B (Tuna Maki, Cali Roll, Dynamite Roll)...you get what you pay for and I didn't pay much. :wink:

Moxie's (Davie St.): Chicago Dip and a Caesar...it was my first time there and I was not impress with the food (dip was way too watery and the Caesar were very bland) or the service. :sad:

Edited by dUbVADER (log)
broken

Yesterday:

Hamilton Street Grill: The one and only Gingerbread pudding and a Caesar...Neil forget Lorna you have me...always.  :wub:

Today:

To Go Sushi: Maki Sushi Combo B (Tuna Maki, Cali Roll, Dynamite Roll)...you get what you pay for and I didn't pay much.  :wink:

Moxie's (Davie St.):  Chicago Dip and a Caesar...it was my first time there and I was not impress with the food (dip was way too watery and the Caesar were very bland) or the service.  :sad:

Albert, you can keep her. You seem to be the only one who can afford to feed her 9 meals a day.

Good Luck

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

2) La Villeta Italian joint on Hastings in Burnaby. Cozy place

with nice atmosphere, nothing fancy, nothing trendy (like

that godawful Anton's across the street where the silly

people line up for unremarkable pasta). Let 'em shiver

in the cold and leave me to my secret gem (I always get

the veal in brandy cream sauce, yum).

This reminds me of the days when Chianti on 4th avenue had lineups out the door for large plates of very ordinary food while across the street Portobello sat virtually empty.

The food at Portobello was good solid regional Italian with a real wood burning oven, a nice little wine list, an excellent tomato and onion salad and good service in a quiet attractive room. We calculated that the difference was at most $5 a head but the lineups continued at Chianti and Portobello eventually moved to west Broadway.

Go figger.

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

Exactly. Same scenario here.

Unbudgeable conformists are bad for

neighbouring restaurants, but good for

those of us who know better, or are willing

to branch out. We can slide right in for a good

meal, while the herds stand and shiver outside.

Nuts, I tell ya.

:wink:  :wink: You pour that caramel sauce all over yourself the next time I'm in....you know how I like it....

I'm desperately trying to erase the mental image of Neil pouring caramel sauce over himself. :blink:

Last couple of days, working backwards in time:

Tomahawk for breakfast today. Yukon style bacon and eggs. Of course.

Ba Guo Bu Yi last night with the 'rents and kid bro for dinner. Thanks to all the folks who have suggested this one. Very fine. Madame Yu rules. First time I've had authentic Sichuan food since China. As often happens, there was some good stuff happening that was not on the English menu. I'll be back often, despite the long bus ride to the wilds of Three Road. If there wasn't Burger Club tonight, I'd be there again tonight. Seriously. Stopped in at HSG on the way home for verbal abuse and Martinis.

Breakfast yesterday was a 'Special' omlette at Fresgo. The indicisive tourists behind me in line asked why I ordered that one. "Because it's special, of course!" Like everything else at Fresgo, it's not bad, it's not expensive, and there's plenty of it. And it's one block from my hovel.

Dinner Friday... I was working at a catering thing that evening, so after school I darkened the door of the Heather for a couple pints of Guinness. Then on the way to the gig stopped at The Only for a quick bowl of chowder and a fried oyster in the company of crackheads and transsexuals.

Lunch Friday was a bag of Hawkins Cheesies, eaten in front of my Chef/Instructors at school, while explaining "I needed a break from that French sh*t we cook all the time." (I was in a grumpy mood about my mid-term practical results).

Hmm, I haven't exactly been cooking at home much.... tonight is Burger Club so that's not about to change.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

:wink:  :wink: You pour that caramel sauce all over yourself the next time I'm in....you know how I like it....

I'm desperately trying to erase the mental image of Neil pouring caramel sauce over himself. :blink:

I was referring to the gingerbread, not Neil!!!!! :laugh:

btw: the gingerbread I ate tonight was more moist and gooey than the one I ate on Friday :wub:

Edited by Ling (log)

Topanga on West 4th tonight with my wife and wee Jack. :wub:

My wife introduced me to this place when we first arrived in Vancouver. She had a pregnancy craving for enchiladas, guacamole, and chocolate cake (her holy trinity).

Jack and I were only too happy to oblige. :biggrin:

Packed on a Tuesday night! I loved it, as usual. Jack and I had a chicken burrito smothered in creamy guac and sour cream with rice, beans and melted cheese strategically placed alongside, ready for amalgamation. The beef enchilada had a nice spice kick and came with the same sides. Everything was served piping hot. If you haven't already tried the chocolate cake, I recommend it. My wife regards it with near superstitious awe, so I held my tongue when I nearly asked for a side of whipped or ice cream to counter the dryness. I had to settle for a OK Springs Pale ale, which set me right. :wink:

Service? Brisk as all hell. Turn, baby, turn seemed to be the focus.

Cost? $32.50 plus tip.

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Dairy Queen: My brother bought me a burger with onion rings, and my sister gave me some Chubby Chicken from A&W. First time having Chubby Chicken...I prefer it over KFC, but Church's trumphs all (for fast-food fried chicken). Anyway, can't argue with free food! :biggrin:

The Red Onion for burgers (I had fried onions and cheddar) and some pretty darn good fries! Later that night, HSG for some gooey gingerbread pudding goodness.

HSG for their awesome, juicy lamb burger and sweet potato fries with chipotle mayo. And later, The Elysian Room for the best Americano and a taste of the chocolate almond sour cherry torte.

Edited by Ling (log)

Ling - you and I are completely on the same wavelength with Church's chicken. The skin is rocking and the flesh actually tastes like chicken (vs sawdust). I posted else where that my brother found the combination of curry mixed with Church's to be eye rollingly delicous. I made pork vindaloo last night with the express goal of provding sauce for the fried chicken.

In reverse order, and excludes various airplane meals and hotel room service sandwiches....

Dinner last night was Danbry's in Regina. I had the fish special, which was sea bass in an orange garlic sauce over butternut squash risotto. The fish was excellent - properly cooked and flavourful, but the sauce was awful (waaaaay too garlicy) and the risotto tasted like white rice with mashed raw squash poured on top. I don't know how you make risotto that badly, but they sure did. Quite a shame, as the fish itself was great.

Dinner on Sunday was a cheeseburger and fries at Red Onion and dessert at HSG afterwards. See the Burger Club thread for the gory details.

Lunch on Sunday was at Tomato, where we ran into Peppyre and the Mooshmouse family. I had a delicious sandwich, but for love or money I can't remember what it was. :wacko: After lunch, we all retired to my rooftop patio to enjoy the sunshine and a few early-afternoon cocktails!

Dinner on Saturday night was at Incendio. I had a Montreal pizza with salami, mushrooms green peppers and mozza. Simply delicious. I live here a year, can't find any halfway decent pizza, then in the space of a week I find two places I like! Go figure. :rolleyes:

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

Taking cues from some of the good advice on the board, we strategically formulated an evening last night that turned out to be a fantastic, belly bulging, good time.

Started out at The Irish Heather with their Neil's Yard Cheese Sampler Plate, Guinness, and some samples from their whisky selection. Their patio in the back was a great place to hang out and relax.

Then we headed to Da Francescos on Hastings to try out some of this purported "Great" pizza. Going in with very high expectations we we're thoroughly impressed with the Deep Fried Calamari, a large #5 pizza (forgot the name - capricoso I think) and a bottle of their Chianti. The service and the food we're over the top great, and we will without a doubt be back often. We ended up closing the place, and after saying our good bye's to the very friendly Chef and staff we we're off to......

The Hamilton Street Grill for dessert for what else...? Yup, of course the famous Gingerbread pudding. Accompanied by a few espresso's, this was the perfect cap to the evening. Saying how great the dessert was just seems so redundant from all the gushing that's been written about the Gingerbread pudding. But all that gushing is bulls eye on target. I had a chance to meet and briefly talk to Neil. He's a super friendly guy and runs a great establishment.

Rolling our big belly’s out of the car and back into the house was a monumental task .... but sooooo worth it! :smile:

BGBY - Singed myself all the way down with dan dan noodles, Eastern Szechuan chicken and tofu, chili string beans, and of course the xiao long bao. Turns out Mrs. Yi/Yu recognized my dinner date, good friends with his mum since he was apparently much tinier when she used to work at a dim sum place on Broadway. Didn't catch the name. My mandarin isn't up to par.

I've been having terrible luck the past couple of weeks; I keep hitting restaurants on their day/time off (Cafe de Paris at 2:00pm, Ajisai on Monday, Kiyo on Monday). Ended up grabbing take-out from Sushihan to tone down my fishy cravings. Got some tempura, hotate-mayo sushi, tuna+sake sashimi, oshinko and alaska rolls. Never really effective but hey, means more sushi for me!

Tomato Cafe - I keep praying for the day they fall in love with some corner spot a block or two from my house. Bf got a cup of Mexican bean + beef soup, the portabello burger and dill potato salad. I got a cup of Indonesian squash soup, Italian countryside cold sandwich, grilled tomato club, dill potato salad, and a big raised eyebrows from our server. Word got around quick as dear bf wondered what pregnancy might one day do to my appetite. Thems were good sangwiches (okay, so I got some help, but fought to the end for the last chunks of taters :wub: ).

Run the earth. Watch the sky.

^ Goodness! competition for Lorna!! :wink:

I'd pay good money to watch these two battle it out. :biggrin:

Does this mean I'm off the hook for the PNE?

Back on topic ...

Today: Go Fish! for lunch. Ran into Mr. & Mrs. Vancouver ... this group is getting spooky! :laugh:

Yesterday: Dolce Amore in Port Moody for Panini

Tuesday: HSG with the usual suspects for lamb/yam. What y'all didn't know was that I really only ordered a bowl of soup ... Eric thought I wanted the soup as a side to the lamb-burger. Neil, are you instructing your staff to upsell in new and creative ways? :laugh:

A.

Today: Go Fish! for lunch.  Ran into Mr. & Mrs. Vancouver ... this group is getting spooky! :laugh:

To quote someone famous from a few days ago. Mr&Mrs.?!?!?!? I'm not that old! :wink:

Today Go Fish (as previously reported). We had the halibut and chips and a tuna sandwich. I have to say I prefer the grilled tuna to the fish&chips. Both were quite good. I just really love the flavourings presented on the tuna sandwich. It has wasabi mayo and a ponzu sauce which combine wonderfully to highlight the freshness of the tuna. Followed up by the Elysian Room for espresso. Delicious as always!

Yesterday revisited Nat's pizza for a NY pizza fix. Still the closest thing to NY pizza in Vancouver! :smile:

Cheers!

Last three places we've been 1. Tomato Cafe - our neighbourhood and it's consistently good plus we like the chef, owner & staff 2. Quattro on Fourth to see Patrick and for the platters. 3. Cin Cin - the only real disappointment, we had a pizza and vongole and I had to send the vongole back to be remade. They're very nice about it but not even good on second try.

The amount of restaurant dining I’ve been doing lately is bordering on the obscene. I keep saying to myself that I’ll slow down after Dining Out For Life… wait, after the end of the month… wait, after Ian’s birthday. Oh, for crying out loud.

Brunch at Tomato Fresh Food Café with Peppyre (and, coincidentally, Vancouver Lee and family as mentioned upthread). We diligently constructed our waffles with fresh fruit, yogurt and maple syrup as Tricia shook her head in disbelief. I also had a side of turkey bacon, and Noah had a plate of scrambled eggs, turkey sausage, home-fried potatoes and toast. Bowl-sized mocha for Ian, and bowl-sized latte for me.

Sparkling wine tasting and dinner at Cru. I’ve made my comments on Jeff’s “Cru special events” thread.

Lunch with Noah at The Elysian Room. Shared the baked chicken mezzaluna pasta with a side of greens, and had a wonderful bowl of soup for myself: tomato vegetable with coconut curry and a squeeze of fresh lime. And the requisite post-prandial cappuccino.

Family dinner at Da Francesco as noted on the appropriate thread..

Lamb burger and a salad and a few of Arne’s yam fries with a group of fellow eGulleters at the Hamilton Street Grill, followed by a cappuccino and chocolate almond torte with sundried sour cherries at The Elysian Room. As I've posted elsewhere, one of the best damn burgers I've had anywhere.

Valentine’s Day redux… dinner with Ian at Adesso. From our near-ringside perch, we could watch Travis and Joseph work their magic, and magic it was indeed. Arancini (which, by the way, I could live on) and Vitello Tonnato as starters. Dijon and Herb-crusted Rack of Lamb for Ian, served with braised green lentils, sweet potato crisps, rosemary-scented demi glace and white truffle oil. It ranks up there as some of the most tender lamb we’ve ever tasted. And the sweet potato crisps would be, without a doubt, a best seller if you manufactured them and sold them retail! Dinner special for me: Osso Bucco Milanese with Saffron Risotto. Luciano brought me a steak knife, but I certainly didn’t need it for this beautifully braised portion of veal. The saffron added a wonderfully unexpected element to this dish, and the marrow definitely did not go to waste. Garlic heaven indeed! Dessert: Amaretto Toasted Almond Crème Brulée with house-made biscotti. Fabulously thick sugar crust, a perfect compliment to the amaretto and almond flavours. Wine? Yes, we had some. White with our appetizers and red with our main courses. But we were more focused on the seamless kitchen choreography, the warmth of our gracious host and hostess, Luciano and Carol, and each other (of course!). We’ll definitely be revisiting Adesso soon. Thanks to the entire Adesso crew for a great evening!

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Can't add anything since haven't dine out for so long...but just want to say that all this talk about "Tomato Cafe in my neighborhood" is creepy me out...Are you all living right beside me or what? It's in MY neighborhood! :biggrin: Quick anecdote about the place: my parents, who are unfamiliar with many Western food, once wandered into Tomato Cafe and wanted to have something sweet to go with their coffee...they ordered the only cookie-looking thing they could spot: biscotti. Of course, they couldn't bite into the darn thing, and came home and complained about this terribly hard cookie....and told me never to step into that place again!

Can't add anything since haven't dine out for so long...but just want to say that all this talk about "Tomato Cafe in my neighborhood" is creepy me out...Are you all living right beside me or what? It's in MY neighborhood! :biggrin:  Quick anecdote about the place: my parents, who are unfamiliar with many Western food, once wandered into Tomato Cafe and wanted to have something sweet to go with their coffee...they ordered the only cookie-looking thing they could spot: biscotti. Of course, they couldn't bite into the darn thing, and came home and complained about this terribly hard cookie....and told me never to step into that place again!

Too bad they didn't have the homemade cookies at Tomato. They are huge and fabulous.

Can't add anything since haven't dine out for so long...but just want to say that all this talk about "Tomato Cafe in my neighborhood" is creepy me out...Are you all living right beside me or what? It's in MY neighborhood! :biggrin: 

I was just laughing about this too as I saw that Luciano had dined there as well. Umm...I think we have determined where the majority of the Vancouver eGulleters live. I think most of us are within a 20 block radius of Tomato Cafe :laugh:

The only eGullet free evening out I've had was last night. My mom and I had a Mother/Daughter night and ended up at HSG for dinner. I had to introduce her to the wonders of Hanger. Brian was in the kitchen last night and did a fantastic job on our steak. We also had the Mussels Diablo, they were good, but I think I prefer mine. Sorry Neil. We left without having dessert, actually, there was absolutely no possible way we were eating anymore food and I have gingerbread in my fridge from Tuesdays lunch anyway. All in all, a good evening. I love nights that my mom and I can spend together without her husband and his daughter.

Go Fish with Arne, Joie and Ian the day before I was struck down with walking pneumonia. I had the halibut and chips, wow! Fantastic. I was also able to try Arne's chowder and I would gladly wait in an hour line for that soup.

Tomato Cafe, again with Joie, Ian and Noah (planned) then Van Lee, Tricia and Ryan (unplanned). I had the eggs benny, while watching Joie and Ian carefully cut up and place every piece of fruit over every mm of the waffle. And Noah, I love a child that eats like that.

HSG on Tuesday for lunch, (OK, so there's a bit of a theme here) while everyone else was having the Lamb/Yam combo, I had the pear and stilton salad and the Prawn and scallop appetizer. Very good. The pear and stilton salad is my favorite.

I think that's it. I missed out on a more than a week of eating and I slowed down quite a bit. Going to have start changing that.