• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Truth be told: Where've you eaten lately? (Part 1)

Mooshmouse

I liked that story better the last time you told it.

I like these new White Spots attached to the Chevron stations that are sprouting up all over town. Speciffically, I'm a fan of the architecture. I'd love to sit down with the architect that designed the template used and ask him what the thinking was behind the faux river rock chimney they all sport.

Because nothing says gas bar/burgers to me more than a chimney. And only White Spot would be clueless enough to review the drawings and say "yeah, we've always thought gas stations could be dressed up with a chimney". Just what I want when gassing the Talent-mobile, a comfy cozy homey feel.

White Spot is the best, it's like a chain specifically designed to amuse. Really the first chain of theme restaurants, the theme being "unintentional comedy".

Ah, White Spot.

I have to say that we are "dining" there at least once a week ( usually breakfast ).

The kids love it, Pirate pancake paks etc. Yes, the kids placemats suck. But I do know that they actually have four crayons - the staff remove the brown ones and dip them in hot water to make coffee. Their coffee really sucks. I know that in the coffee thread I said that I am happy with any cup of coffee, but that is not quite true. Earl's coffee really sucks as well. I keep ordering it, hoping that it would change but alas, it sucks ass.

Other "spots" dined recently -

Last night - Fiction / The wine bar @ Fiction. It has been a very long time since I darkened that doorway but I was recognized the second I walked in ( No, Sean Sherwood was not in. ) It was a little unnerving for a second ( I was traveling incognito, outside of my 'hood ) , but I was warmly welcomed and made to feel comfortable right away. We ordered lots of food - Lobster ravioli, Caramelized onion and bacon tarte, a few of the "tastes", spinach salad etc. All nicely presented and tasty. I will be returning real soon - well as soon as the schedule allows.

And lastly ( but not leastly ! ) - Bis Moreno

A bit of a Chef's night out. Moreno was our host, along with Joachaim and Curtis.

Arrived at 9:30 for an informal dining event to discuss all manner of things food or food related. There were seven of us, all chefs or Exec. Sous. Conversation ranged from mushrooms, risotto, suppliers, food writers, wine, Dine Out Vancouver, coffee, methods, teachers, egullet, New York, Daniel, etc. We never talked about cars, sports, television shows we love, or women we love. It was always about food.

The food - ( All served family style ) Veal tail agnolotti , porcini mushroom risotto, Wild hare that Moreno's father- in - law provided, a selection of vegetables and then my new favourite, braised pork cheeks - I had three helpings - I loved it.

The whole evening was lots of fun and I hope that we repeat it very soon. As I was leaving at 3:30 a.m. ( I hope I did not wake Ling with my foul mouthed swearing ) but some Moth&*%^#ker tipped over two mailboxes on my BRAND NEW CAR !! It was not even a week old. I finally decided to rid myself of the 1985 Dodge Voyager Mini Van that burned equal amounts of gas and oil and get a NEW car. Perhaps if I had dragged my feet on my choice one more week, it would only have been old my old jalopy, but no, on the BRAND NEW CAR. I speculated that someone leaving Il Gardino was pissed about something, thought this might have been Umberto's car and decided to do it in. New cars are magnets for destruction !

Oh, well, off to ICBC today at 4:15 !

Edited by nwyles (log)

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

I finally get to sleep in my own bed for a few nights (at least) after several whirl-wind business trips to Toronto. My dining adventures:

Wednesday evening in Toronto, I dined at Harbour Sixty (Clickety, as Arne would say). Appetizer was a shrimp cocktail that truly merited the term "jumbo shrimp". Main course was a humungous filet, perfectly cooked, with a baked potato the size of a size 14 sneaker. Washed it down with a 2002 Brokenwood Cab/Shiraz. Thank God my company pays for these things....

Prior to that, I tried to have lunch on Saturday at HSG, but alas Neil is closed for lunch on weekends. My wife will have to wait a bit longer to succumb to the powers of gingerbread. At my son's request, we ended up at Boston Pizza instead. I can almost hear Neil cringing as I type this...

Dinner on Friday was back in Toronto at Julia's, an Italian place in Oakville. I was with a group of 30 co-workers on a busy night, so I won't condemn the incorrectly cooked and bland food too harshly. The slammed kitchen aside, the menu was extremely boring. It made me realize how good we have it here.

Glad to be back home.....

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

At my son's request, we ended up at Boston Pizza instead. I can almost hear Neil cringing as I type this...

Let's not forget I am they guy who takes his kids to White Spot. From my glass house, I will cast no stones on your child's restaurant choice. Domino's Pizza has me onit's speed dial :biggrin:

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

Wednesday evening we dashed to a true neighborhood gem - Long's Noodle House. We had noodles (what else!) both Shanghai fried noodles and tan tan (dan dan) noodles. We also had some delicious dumplings in spicy sauce and (yes we were a bit piggish) and had pot stickers as well. It was for a good cause, trying an assortment to see what is good / what to order next time etc. I think the pot stickers got the best dish award from us of the 4 items we tried. All were good, these were great! Many other things to try including the wine-soaked chicken which somehow we didn't order ... many things tempted us. I had the leftovers for lunch on Thursday (does this count as a second dining out event?) :raz:

Last Sunday - we were at the Gong Hei Fat Choy parade in Chinatown - so we had to wrestle a table at Hon's - yup true to my word, I can eat Chinese daily without tiring of it. We (and everyone else) were at Hon's and when we got a table, the best thing on it was the dish suggested by the waitress, some type of beef and rice noodle combo that was stir fried and had the right amount of spicing etc. We also had XO sauce noodles and a chicken in bird's nest dish - not much left on our table, the 4 of us did a good job polishing things off!

Now if memory serves me, the third most recent dining event was at HSG - Appreciator and I went in for lunch a week back on a Friday. She wanted to be incognito, but I was facing the kitchen and chef recognized me - good thing! Neil sat with us and we had a wonderful chat with him for about an hour - very fun! Talked all manner of things and hopefully I didn't insult by overly enjoying that ginger ice cream! I chose the BC Burger for my lunch, yam fries (had to try them!). It hit the spot - burger was literally cooked to perfection - I usually prefer my husband's burgers, but to truly get those it needs to be a bit warmer and light levels need to be stronger after work!

Next up on my menu is LilyKate if they are open yet - Keith when are we going for whoopie pies?

I appear to be doing some repetitive dining out...

Last weekend, I hit Go Fish again, this time having the fish and chips, sitting in the sun. I swear it makes the food taste even better.

Yesterday, i stopped into The Kolachy shop and my way to Urban Fair for a late breakfast. ( easily swayed by propaganda) I had a chicken club thing and it was ok, but not my favourite thing in the whole world.

Lunch was a grilled baguette with bocconcini, ham, pesto, sdt etc, from Patisserie Le Beau. Delicious and I want to go back and try their sweet stuff.

< Linda >

Though not in Vancouver, two recent business trips took me to Seattle:

CASCADIA RESTAURANT

We sat in the lounge (beautifully appointed by the way) after our pitch to the client. Still feeling a little nervous we were looking for some kind of comfort food to settle us down.

Decided on the "Posh Mac & Cheese" with english stilton, truffles and cauliflower. I may never make mac and cheese again, not after this treat!! Washed it all down pint of guiness and a glass of Lagavulin..

I can't wait to go back for dinner...amazing!

Back home I decided to hit the Keg on Thurlow to catch up with some friends. Great New York cooked to perfection and Alaskan Crab....mmmm! Fairly impressive new wine list and the cheapest Single Malt prices Downtown, made this a great visit. (and yes I worked for the Keg for years, but really it can be hit and miss at times...this time it was a hit!)

Off to Seattle again, and good news. New client. Time to celebrate so off we went to The Union Restaurant.

WOW.

We did a lot of celebrating but the Roasted Bluenose Bass with fennel and lobster salad definately sticks out in my mind. This is one serious restaurant in a pretty hip part of Seattle. Very cool interior and awesome service. Oh yeah, we started our celebration with a little bubbly (Jaques Selosse Brut) and ended the evening with a '97 Leonetti Cellar Merlot. (I think!) A great place if you should find yourself in Seattle.

John

Edited by dodger (log)

It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Hunter S. Thompson ---- R.I.P. 1939 - 2005

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."

--Mark Twain

1) Long Noodle House - Had read about this place in the Georgia Straight article on Chinese restaurants found by word of mouth. It is primarily Shanghainese in style with a few other regions represented in some dishes. Started with the wine chicken (drunken chicken) which was extremely flavourful and tender. Also had the Shanghai style fried noodles which were superb. Will definitely repeat.

2) Kedah House - Started off the the roti canai which came perfectly done and piping hot accompanied by a curry/dahl which was extremely flavourful. Reminded me of the taste of some of the Malaysian roti places in Singapore. Also had mee goreng which was seasoned wonderfully and had tender chunks of chicken; and the peppercorn chili shrimp which were the highlight - the shrimp were extremely fresh and lightly fried with their shells in a wonderfully aromatic sauce - of an excellent inexpensive meal. Will definitely repeat.

3) Griffins at the Fairmont - Had to use up those free dining vouchers from Fairmont before they expire at the end of the month. Had never tried Griffins. The minestrone soup was tasty, with lots of veggies and pasta, but the bread offerings reminded me of airline rolls. After reading Jamie's thread on the role of bread in identifying stage of food development I couldn't help but laugh. The prime rib was a generous portion and well prepared. Dessert was the dessert bar. It was ok, but nothing wowed. Overall - Meh. Probably won't return. Going to use next year's free Fairmont vouchers at the Waterfront instead. :smile:

Cheers!

Edited by Vancouver (log)

Griffins and some of the hotel buffet places have always seemed a little iffy to me (though they have gotten better lately).

They seem to be a clearinghouse for leftovers. The abundance of "meat" salads is a bit of giveaway (a la Anthony Bourdain). Maybe I am wrong - but the food tastes really warmed over. I went to Griffin's once for a New Year's brunch (after not getting in at the Four Seasons) and it was so mediocre and sad. Bad way to start the year.

Griffins and some of the hotel buffet places have always seemed a little iffy to me (though they have gotten better lately).

They seem to be a clearinghouse for leftovers.  The abundance of "meat" salads is a bit of giveaway (a la Anthony Bourdain).  Maybe I am wrong - but the food tastes really warmed over.  I went to Griffin's once for a New Year's brunch (after not getting in at the Four Seasons) and it was so mediocre and sad.  Bad way to start the year.

I most certainly concur on the buffet portions (particularly the appetizer buffet) being leftoverish. The main course of prime rib did seem fresh though for what it is worth. But I also left overall thinking the experience was mediocre as well.

Cheers!

Last week lunch at Adesso with Ling and Montrachet.... I think we've said enough about it already though.... :wub:

On the weekend.... dinner at Simpatico's.... appetizers - really great humous and melitzano;.... entrees - well, about what you'd expect. Tons of food however! Everything was fine... though nothing particularly outstanding (save for the humous and melitzano). We did have a very enjoyable evening.... the place is a 4th Avenue institution :biggrin:

Brunch at Aphrodite's Organic Cafe..... really good coffee.. :biggrin: I had scrambled eggs, a croissant, smoked salmon and herb sour cream sauce. Not exactly the presentation I was expecting but I put it all together myself (oh how industrious of me - not) and it was very good. Both of my dining companions had the mushroom omelet and they tucked in pretty well so I take that as a good sign. :smile: I like what they are trying to do at this cafe so I will definitely be back to try their menu at lunch and dinner.

What else... oh yes.... take out. Chinese from Szechuan Chili... I love this place (they have northern style chow mein - which means soft noodles in case anyone else didn't know besides me). And pizza from Nat's, which was oddly disappointing. I haven't had pizza from Nat's in a few years and it is not at all like I remembered.

Edited by appreciator (log)

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Ba Guo Bu Yi - this will be a regular for me now. Had staple dumplings and sticky rice roll, plus the lamb dumplings (in broth), and my new staple there: dan dan noodles! Good kick, not over-salty (the death of most I've tried) and peanuts remain as a supporting cast. I never understood what was so great about them 'til I dipped my chopstick into my bf's bowl. :raz:

Burgoo - went here after I found out Ajisai is closed Mondays. Shared the Fonduemental (brie, black pepper, herbs served with bread and red grapes) for one, and it still did me in. I was way too conservative a dunker at the beginning, which left a good amount cheese for my moist Country Chicken sandwich but not enough room in my tummy for my Moroccan Lamb Tagine. Couscous was strangely crunchy; BBQ Beef sandwich had soft and flavourful braised beef. Tasted great the next day; nothing spectacular, just their usual stewy comfort.

Rodeo Drive In - my burger club pre-burger! I had a juicy cheeseburger with mushrooms, others had the Rodeo and Double. We all shared lightly battered fries (not quite as good as Costco), crisp deep-fried mushrooms, very thickly battered and super crunchy onion rings, and what everyone agreed was Costco gravy. We'll all take the drive out again.

Run the earth. Watch the sky.

Ba Guo Bu Yi - this will be a regular for me now. Had staple dumplings and sticky rice roll, plus the lamb dumplings (in broth), and my new staple there: dan dan noodles! Good kick, not over-salty (the death of most I've tried) and peanuts remain as a supporting cast. I never understood what was so great about them 'til I dipped my chopstick into my bf's bowl. :raz:

hayasaka.k, can you help... where is B Guo Bu Yi, and is it the kind of place where one must read Chinese characters to order? Big fan of a) dan dan noodles, and b) dumplings. It is very hard to find good dan dan noodles, but suddenly everyone has them. Craving a good version.

thx, Sushicat

I'm not hayasaka.k, but Ba Guo Bu Yi Fine Szechuan Restaurant is located at 8130 Park Rd. in Richmond. 

Cheers!

Thanks Vancouver, sorry I should have known many people would know. Ok, I'm fitting that into my weekend - gotta get me some good dan dan noodles!

Pho Number One - It’s not too far from home, so I often go there to get my pho fix.

Afghan Horsemen - I love the cozy low seating in there. Started off by sharing a few things – hummus & tzatziki-like dip w/pita, Boulany (wheat crust stuffed with mashed potatoes and green onions…yum) and Pakawra (batter fried potatoes w/yogurt dip). I think I was already full by the time my main came, which was the Shommie Kebab (made of lean ground beef). The upside of ordering too much is that I now have leftovers to eat for dinner tonight. :smile:

Today I convinced a couple of co-workers to trek out to Fraser St. to try the Kedah House. We started with the Roti Canai - the curry sauce that came with it had a pretty good kick to it. After that came Nasi Goreng, Chicken w/Cashew Nuts and Teow Goreng (flat rice noodles w/beef). We were very happy with everything we ordered. I’m looking forward to going back again soon to try out some of the other dishes.

1) Legendary Noodle on Main. I always get the same thing,

lamb in noodle soup. Most excellent. It's a little hole in the

wall, but the guy makes his own noodles practically to order.

Can't get fresher. Sushicat, have you tried this place? Wonder

how it compares to Long's, which I've never been to.

2) La Villeta Italian joint on Hastings in Burnaby. Cozy place

with nice atmosphere, nothing fancy, nothing trendy (like

that godawful Anton's across the street where the silly

people line up for unremarkable pasta). Let 'em shiver

in the cold and leave me to my secret gem (I always get

the veal in brandy cream sauce, yum).

3) La Fonda in Baja Caifornia, between Rosarito and Ensenada.

Spectacular setting. Table next to the sea, dining while

waves crashed just feet away. The days of the five dollar

lobster are gone, but you can get a heaping plate for just

over 20. Incredibly romantic place. Wish I was there now...

Sunny afternoon lunch today out on the patio at the Marinaside location of BoJangles Cafe. The three of us shared a smoked salmon sandwich on cheese and onion bread, a tuna salad sandwich on 7 grain, a mango smoothie and a strawberry/kiwi Snapple. Simple fare, to be sure, but it tasted oh so good eaten outdoors on a warm spring day.

Szechuan Chongqing on West Broadway and Fir for cheap dim sum with a group of eGulleters on Wednesday. Loads and loads and loads of food, but that didn't stop us from grabbing coffees at The Elysian Room before heading over to La Petite France for Ling's infamous chocolate cake taste-testing. Group favourites were the Moëlleux Chocolat au Rhum and the Sacher Torte. All that dining followed up that evening by numerous martinis and small plates at Ch'i. Sampled quite a variety of dishes; however, I'd have to choose the lotus root chips with sweet chili aioli, the tempura oysters with tobiko, and the coconut creme caramel as my absolute favourites. I can see myself dropping a lot of food and drink dollars at this neighbourhood haunt.

Lunch at Burgoo a little while back with Mr. Mouse and a girlfriend. Boeuf Bourgignon over garlic mashed potatoes and a caesar salad for me. Rich stew-y comfort-food goodness and a good healthy dose of garlic and anchovies. Gotta love it.

Can't forget dining al fresco at Go Fish two sunny Fridays ago with Daddy-A and Peppyre. Dear husband and I split the halibut and chips and a piece of grilled albacore tuna atop a bed of greens. Also an incredible bowl of BBQ salmon chowder with a little touch of curry. The joint was really jumpin: queue of 10 people before the shutters raised for the day's business, and about 40-50 people on the deck within 15 minutes of opening... a testament to the fabulous food.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Last week:

Szechuan Chongquin, the Elysian Room, La Petite France, and Ch'i all in one day. :biggrin: As Mooshmouse said earlier, the Moelleux Chocolat au Rhum was a favourite and gets a big stamp of approval from me. I'll definitely be ordering this again. At Ch'i, I really enjoyed the jackfruit martini, the Ironstone Symphony that montrachet recommended, and the coconut creme brulee. (We also split the Valrhona chocolate souffle with candied fennel, and the hazelnut-filled deep-fried banana. I had the tea-smoked scallops and my bf had the laksa and the tuna carpaccio with edamame.)

Yesterday:

Bistro Sakana for lunch. We split the assorted sashimi, chicken karrage (sp?), tonkatsu (came with fried potato croquettes), spicy tuna, a special roll that the chef is thinking of putting on the menu (we got to be his guinea pigs :raz: ) that featured tuna and pesto, brown rice dynamite roll, unagi tempura roll, miso soup, and my absolute favourite--lightly seared toro atop sushi rice, garnished with yuzu pepper. :wub:

Urban Fare various take-out selections from the deli case to round out our dinner at home.

HSG for gingerbread pudding the size of a baby's head, with pumpkin ice-cream and ginger ice-cream. I also drank a Monte Cristo (coffee with Grand Marnier and Kaluha, with loads of whipped cream and a maraschino cherry.)

1) Legendary Noodle on Main. I always get the same thing,

lamb in noodle soup. Most excellent. It's a little hole in the

wall, but the guy makes his own noodles practically to order.

Can't get fresher. Sushicat, have you tried this place? Wonder

how it compares to Long's, which I've never been to.

Feedbag, I have been to the Legendary Noodle once and only once. Nothing wowed me, and there are many places to try. It is different from Long's because at Legendary most is noodles and at Long's they have a regular menu. I am willing to go back to Legendary and try the lamb in noodle soup and if you want to dine with me at Long's any time / lunch/dinner, just pm me - need to try the wine soaked chicken and a number of other itmes!

Last week:

Szechuan Chongquin, the Elysian Room, La Petite France, and Ch'i all in one day.  :biggrin: As Mooshmouse said earlier, the Moelleux Chocolat au Rhum was a favourite and gets a big stamp of approval from me. I'll definitely be ordering this again. At Ch'i, I really enjoyed the jackfruit martini, the Ironstone Symphony that montrachet recommended, and the coconut creme brulee. (We also split the Valrhona chocolate souffle with candied fennel, and the hazelnut-filled deep-fried banana. I had the tea-smoked scallops and my bf had the laksa and the tuna carpaccio with edamame.)

Yesterday:

Bistro Sakana for lunch. We split the assorted sashimi, chicken karrage (sp?), tonkatsu (came with fried potato croquettes), spicy tuna, a special roll that the chef is thinking of putting on the menu (we got to be his guinea pigs  :raz: ) that featured tuna and pesto, brown rice dynamite roll, unagi tempura roll, miso soup, and my absolute favourite--lightly seared toro atop sushi rice, garnished with yuzu pepper.  :wub:

Urban Fare various take-out selections from the deli case to round out our dinner at home.

HSG for gingerbread pudding the size of a baby's head, with pumpkin ice-cream and ginger ice-cream. I also drank a Monte Cristo (coffee with Grand Marnier and Kaluha, with loads of whipped cream and a maraschino cherry.)

It obviously was not enough to get the gingerbread listed as your only obsession again. Being your obsession certainly does not have the same cache now that you have four and not just one. I think you are spreading your obsession a little thin these days. It certainly is not like the good old days when you only had one. Are you getting kickbacks from other places to get on the list ? Is there a little payola going on. I can roll with the big boys if I need to - extra caramel sauce, double pumpkin ice cream, whatever it takes, just get rid of the other guys - Lorna, you are so fickle. Is there no pleasing you ? That's it, we are breaking up, I can't take this level of abuse any longer, you two timer , I mean four timer, hussy !!!! :biggrin:

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill