• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Truth be told: Where've you eaten lately? (Part 1)

Mooshmouse

Umm, yeah. Rangoli ... gawd I like this place! Damn uncomfortable chairs though :blink: The room is one of my favorites in Vancouver (from a designer's POV) ... very open and welcoming. And then you sit down :blink: I should qualify this by saying that I've only ever sat on the chairs at Rangoli, never on the benches. Did I mention I really hate the chairs? But the Portobello Mushroom & Red Bell Pepper Curry I had more than made up for a little posterior numbness. The curry comes served on paneer (mmmmmmmmmm , paneer!) with beet/daikon salad & naan. Vikram, if you're lurking, any chance the beet/daikon salad will be available for take-away?? Really nice!

Moosh is right about Vikram ... completely grascious, but speaking with him after lunch made me completely forget to pick up some Salmon Cakes and Saag & Paneer for dinner tonight . Now I have to settle for grilled cheese ... thanks a lot! :wink:

Kim Phung on Monday with Vancouver Lee & Ling (I sure get around eh?)

Kolachy Shop today. Read all about it HERE (CLICK-A-MUNDO)

A.

Seoul House Royale: lunch with a few other Egulleters. We had this amazing fried potato noodle dish, some nicely marbled beef, scallops, and spicy lamb shoulder. Everything was delicious. (I really like their seaweed appetizer--one of those freebies they give you when you come in.)

Now I have to settle for grilled cheese ... thanks a lot!  :wink:

Ling, that noodle dish is called jap chae. Traditionally made with sweet potato noodles, it's one of my all-time favourites. One of my favourite side dishes with Korean barbecue are these tiny, tiny dried anchovies that are served in kind of a sweet marinade/sauce. They don't serve them at Seoul House Royale; any eGulleters know of a Korean restaurant in town that does?

Arne, that'd be grilled cheese with both sides of the bread buttered. Served with tomato soup, naturally! :wink:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

One of my favourite side dishes with Korean barbecue are these tiny, tiny dried anchovies that are served in kind of a sweet marinade/sauce.  They don't serve them at Seoul House Royale; any eGulleters know of a Korean restaurant in town that does?

I know exactly what you mean, but can't remember the name of them. I've had them at the little counter restaurant that is behind the korean supermarket on North Rd and Loughead Highway. I can't remember the name of the restaurant. I'm sorry. But in that area of town I'm sure you can find them in several places.

Cheers!

Hello, I'm new to egullet and happy to be here. I'm sorry I missed out on Adesso the other night, I'm just around the corner too. Oh well, next time! Here are my last 3 meals out:

Tonight: Dan - funky Japanese place on Broadway near Lumiere. Very nice, really liked the bbq mackeral and the squid, cod roe seaweed-wrapped tempura number

Last night: dinner at my friend Peggy's - a great cook - home made chicken pot pie, fries and home made Paris Brest for dessert. A nice bit of nostalgic comfort food.

Monday night: Indian Oven on West 4th. Awesome butter chicken. Vij's or Maurya this place isn't, but it's yummy curries just the same.

:smile:

armed with «˚˚˚­­ PŕєŢžєĻ§ ˚˚˚»

Hello, I'm new to egullet and happy to be here. I'm sorry I missed out on Adesso the other night, I'm just around the corner too. Oh well, next time! Here are my last 3 meals out:

Tonight: Dan - funky Japanese place on Broadway near Lumiere. Very nice, really liked the bbq mackeral and the squid, cod roe seaweed-wrapped tempura number

Last night: dinner at my friend Peggy's - a great cook - home made chicken pot pie, fries and home made Paris Brest for dessert. A nice bit of nostalgic comfort food.

Monday night: Indian Oven on West 4th. Awesome butter chicken. Vij's or Maurya this place isn't, but it's yummy curries just the same.

Welcome aboard Pretzels.

Peggy should be much admired for attempting the Paris-Breat. Civilians unwilling to do this at home may care to know that it's sometimes available at La Regalade in West Vancouver. And as for chicken pot pie, well, is there anything better to put paid to a walk through cool February shade?

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

welcome to egullet Pretzels

i must admit, i finding it hard to walk past moderne burger when i`m eating on that block.

Dan is quite an excellent detour thou ` . the pig " jowls " served with japanese chili is very good .

getting back to moderne burger , they weren`t open tonight, the sign on the door reads....

" we have the flu ......."

get well soon you burgers !!!

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Edited by transfattyacid (log)
tt

Welcome - Pretzels....

This is going to perhaps be a bit of a stupid question but is Dan the place that the people who used to work at "Taka" on West 4th started? I think I heard this somewhere... perhaps here... but can't quite recall. I have a great longing for the yam tempura rolls from Taka... all others have totally paled in comparison (and I mean this in the nicest way possible :smile: ). If Dan has 'em... I am so there :wub:

OT but still food related... If anyone knows where these particular type of yam tempura rolls (and if you've had them... you know what I’m talking about) can be found... please let me know... and, well, I'll buy you a beer (or beverage of your choice)! Yes... it has come down to that :smile:

Now back to where have you eaten lately... oh let's see… home, ...and oh yes... there's always home... and hmmm, home again. Boring, I know.

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

One of my favourite side dishes with Korean barbecue are these tiny, tiny dried anchovies that are served in kind of a sweet marinade/sauce.

I know exactly what you mean, but can't remember the name of them. I've had them at the little counter restaurant that is behind the korean supermarket on North Rd and Loughead Highway. I can't remember the name of the restaurant. I'm sorry. But in that area of town I'm sure you can find them in several places.

Thanks for that heads-up Vancouver. I often get an incredulous look from my server when I try to order them at a Korean restaurant, almost as if they can't believe that someone non-Korean actually likes them. And an equally incredulous look from my husband as I'm eating them -- he dubs them "krill" and can't stand them.

There's a small Mom-and-Pop style place on the south side of Kingsway between Knight and Fraser that serves them too, along with fairly good Korean food. I can't remember the name as I haven't been there in a couple of years... Lee's Korean Garden perhaps? At any rate, I'm overdue for another visit to get my "krill" fix.

And welcome aboard Pretzels!

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

This is going to perhaps be a bit of a stupid question but is Dan the place that the people who used to work at "Taka" on West 4th started?  I think I heard this somewhere... perhaps here... but can't quite recall.  I have a great longing for the yam tempura rolls from Taka... all others have totally paled in comparison (and I mean this in the nicest way possible :smile: ). If Dan has 'em... I am so there  :wub:

Hi Sarah,

I believe the owner/chef, Ken Koda, is from Sakae Sushi (Richmond) and his wife, Tomoko, who works with him was a server at Taka's. So, I'm not sure if they have the yam tempura roll that you are craving for.

But, I really enjoy the food at Dan. They have a big blackboard of daily specials and there is always a dish or two that is intriguing and tempting. Also, unlike the popular Japanese fusion type restaurants (Hapa or Shirubay), Dan uses more traditional ingredients and prepares them with a twist, e.g. one of the specials I had last summer was handmade cold soba noodles served with seaweed, green onions in a sesame dipping sauce (instead of the usual tempura dipping sauce) and on the regular menu, chicken wrapped in shiso leave and plum paste tempura (I know that sounds kind of dubious, but it was really really good).

There's a small Mom-and-Pop style place on the south side of Kingsway between Knight and Fraser that serves them too, along with fairly good Korean food.  I can't remember the name as I haven't been there in a couple of years... Lee's Korean Garden perhaps? 

Is it the one with a yellow sign in a stand-alone building that shares a parking lot with a small korean grocery store and focuses primarily on Korean BBQ dishes? The name escapes me too...

And on the Taka question - I heard from a friend that one of the chef's from Taka is now at Black Tuna Japanese Bistro on Denman but haven't checked it out yet. Any truth to this?

Cheers!

There's a small Mom-and-Pop style place on the south side of Kingsway between Knight and Fraser that serves them too, along with fairly good Korean food.  I can't remember the name as I haven't been there in a couple of years... Lee's Korean Garden perhaps? 

Is it the one with a yellow sign in a stand-alone building that shares a parking lot with a small korean grocery store and focuses primarily on Korean BBQ dishes? The name escapes me too...

Probably not. The one I'm thinking of is directly across the street from the British Ex-Servicemen's Association. :huh:

But I know the one you're talking about... still can't recall the name of either restaurant! :rolleyes:

Joie Alvaro Kent

Probably not.  The one I'm thinking of is directly across the street from the British Ex-Servicemen's Association.  :huh:

But I know the one you're talking about... still can't recall the name of either restaurant!  :rolleyes:

Oh! THAT unnamed restaurant! :wink:

I can now just picture the food review in the newspaper of all the places in Vancouver with no name that can be remembered! :wacko:

On my next drive on Kingsway I may just have to take notes!

Cheers!

I believe the owner/chef, Ken Koda, is from Sakae Sushi (Richmond) and his wife, Tomoko, who works with him was a server at Taka's.  So, I'm not sure if they have the yam tempura roll that you are craving for. 

Minor correction. Tomoko was a server at Tojo's until they opened Dan and yes, Ken Oda is from Sakae Richmond. The two of them met while working at Octopus Garden many moons ago. A lovely couple.

And on the Taka question - I heard from a friend that one of the chef's from Taka is now at Black Tuna Japanese Bistro on Denman but haven't checked it out yet.  Any truth to this?

In Wednesday's Courier newspaper, Tim Pawsey does a review of Black Tuna Japanese Bistro and confirms that the chef did indeed once own Taka. Yah!.... I'm hoping they will serve the special yam tempura rolls... crispy yam on the outside, marinated something or other in the inside... :wub:

Edited by appreciator (log)

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

And on the Taka question - I heard from a friend that one of the chef's from Taka is now at Black Tuna Japanese Bistro on Denman but haven't checked it out yet.  Any truth to this?

In Wednesday's Courier newspaper, Tim Pawsey does a review of Black Tuna Japanese Bistro and confirms that the chef did indeed once own Taka. Yah!.... I'm hoping they will serve the special yam tempura rolls... crispy yam on the outside, marinated something or other in the inside... :wub:

Ooooh! Ok, so now I HAVE to try it soon! Has anyone tried yet?!?!?!?!?!

Cheers!

Pho Lan?

Surely you jest. Pho Lan might be the best pho restaurant for white people, but the best in Richmond? I don't even think it's the best on that block. It's an old adage, but I think it's also quite true, ideally you want to be the only caucasian in an asian restaurant, and Ling, lets be honest, you'd be the only asian in Pho Lan. Hell, you're probably the only person there that's had pho more than once. That place is like pho for newbies.

It might be the dirtiest pho restaurant in Richmond. It might be the the skimpiest on the meats. The only positive is that they are not stingey with the basil.

You know, I just re-read this post again and I was wondering whether I somehow got more meat (or maybe just better food in general) just because the owners recognized me and knew I ate there at least 4-5 times a week.

I just can't believe we're talking about the same place, since our opinions are so different! :laugh:

Of course, we can agree on it being a very dirty place. I'm not repeating what I've seen though...but it hasn't deterred me (in the past) from eating there again! :raz:

Edited by Ling (log)

1) Nigiri in the Japanese food court downstairs on Alberni street just west of Burrard. Had the $4.50 special which included 2 generously sized o-nigiri (Japanese rice balls), one filled with ume and dried bonito and the other filled with ikura, 4 pieces of chicken karage which had a delicate hint of ginger and were perfectly fried, and miso soup which was fairly standard fare. Decent lunch special overall. The ikura o-nigiri was particularly tasty.

2) Budapest on Main street. Had a lovely kalbschnitzel which was perfectly prepapred and served with spätzel, and apple purple cabbage. Appetizer of gurken salad was tasty with well marinated fresh cukes and a nice coating of paprika. Desert of apple strudel had a nicely warmed filing. My partner had goulash which was hearty and tasty - ended up cleaning the plate out with a piece of bread! :smile:

3) Go Fish. Had the grilled tuna sandwich which was excellent as usual.

Cheers!

heello this is onlhy my first or second drunke ponst on egullet so please forgieve me. tonight i was taken away from mny studies by tghe badasses of egullet, namely joie, arne, trischa, and ian and jeff and nicky omigod.

todyy i ate at pane from heaven and let me say, everything that joie said about this place is true. that chocoalte ganache cake was heaven. it's my favourite desert right now(hence my new sig) i will have to eat this at leat once a week or i will die. and i had a mini choolate ganache tart and half a chocolate cupcale. both were good in their own right but since i had them after the chooclate ganache cake, they glory was somewhat diminished.

an hour later we went to bacchus and i had 2 drinks and a galss of wine (cedar creek pinot noir, one of my favourites). they were a buttery caramel martini (i will odrer this again but i dont know what's in it. as joie said, iti's like werthers melted into a glass with alcohol. seriously god. and i had a red satin slip (or as joie would say, a red satin slut) and i shared an appetizer platter with her. the appetizer platter cam with samosas, a springroll, a sdalmon cake and a crab cake. there were two different sauces.

then to yuk yuks i only had a cornona.

then to relish and i had a mardinan martini or something. came with ice cream (melted). and cinnamon sugar? it wasn't nearly as good as the buttery carmael martini at bacchus.

:laugh::raz::laugh:

Gotta love Ling!

When Ian and I virtually carried Ling back to her apartment and ensured that she was able to remove her shoes and coat without falling over, I encouraged her to post immediately about tonight's antics so that I could see what effect the evening's libations would have on her typing skills. Clearly, it was that last drink at relish that pushed you over the edge girl!

Look at it this way Ling: your liver will be that much stronger for it! :wink:

Joie Alvaro Kent

Considering she managed to make it to Relish after Yuk Yuks, I would definitely have to agree that it was the madarin orange/ice cream drink definitely sent her over the edge. As I was driving away, Joie was practically holding her up. Good call on the post, it's like an experiment of sorts.

To get this back on topic, I had a Paris Waltz and a Hail Ceasar martini at Bacchus. Very nice drinks. I also had the appetizer which I shared with J. Everything was very good, but I thought the salmon cake had way too much fennel in it. I couldn't eat it and i love fennel. C'est la vie. A very good night all round.

Oh, and can anyone tell me what a "Meat Cookie" is?

Edited by peppyre (log)

Everything was very good, but I thought the salmon cake had way too much fennel in it.  I couldn't eat it and i love fennel.

Anise seed girl. Anise seed. You should've seen the bottom of that salmon cake... it was crusted in it. :hmmm:

Jury's still out on that meat cookie! :blink:

Joie Alvaro Kent