• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Truth be told: Where've you eaten lately? (Part 1)

Mooshmouse

My last 3:

Bis Moreno and West for DOV...I've already posted about both.

Last night...walked down to Fresgno's Inn for a greasy burger but they were closing (only open until 1 am from Sunday-Thursday, but still open 24 hours Friday and Saturday). Then I tried Fritz's because I haven't had poutine in a while--also closed. Ended up with garlic cheese pizza at Fresh Slice (seems a little cleaner than the other 99 cent pizza places.) It wasn't horrible, but maybe I was just really hungry because I was watching Iron Chef America (which my bf thoughtfully taped for me).

Isn't hitting 3 places in one night about par for the course for you, Ling? :raz:

Ling - you ARE a machine. I am in awe and humbled by your eating abilities. :biggrin:

I hit three places but I didnt eat at all three!! :laugh:

Ling:

Even in Seattle we are suspicious, especially after your commenting about considering a 5 pound cheesecake being feasible.

When living in Hong Kong I learned never to assume anything about a diminutive Womans appetite, especially after she admits stopping into 3 Restaurants insinuating that she did not eat anything. Huh !

Irwin :rolleyes:

Edited by wesza (log)

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

Here are my last three:

Connie's Cookhouse:  Started with the Peppery Salt Chicken Wings and then for entrees, ordered the Kung Pao Chicken, Sliced Beef with Ginger and Onions and a big tub of steamed rice. Perfect rememdy for when you get pangs for a cheap and cheerful Chinese food craving.

oh do i crave some spicy won tons from Connies ?

HELL YEAH

tt

My last three meals, part of my latest Vancouver-Calgary-Vancouver whirlwind trip:

Dinner on Wednesday night at CinCin. We were booked to dine at Teatro in Calgary, but ice fog and memories of an airplane skidding of the runway in Calgary last week compelled my bosses from Toronto and I to stay in Vancovuer an extra night. We showed up at 8:30pm with no reservation, and were seated in about 15 minutes. Service was very professional, but after last weekend at West, the bar has been raised very high indeed. We all chose to forgo the DOV menu and instead selected a-la-carte. We shared appetizers: a wonderfully sweet carpaccio, disappointing mushroom bruschetta, and grilled prawns. I had Ahi tuna for my main - it was a trifle overcooked but not bad at all, and I have, unfortunately, forgotten what accompanied the tuna. My companions had bison that was reportedly excellent. Overall a good meal, but without as much "WOW!" as sister West. I'll go back again (sober this time :rolleyes: ), and see how it fares.

Lunch on Thursday at Hy's in Calgary. Is it just me, or do many high-end steak houses have an old, dingy, 1970's-era basement feel to them? What's up with that? I also find the sight of a chef cooking meat over an giant flaming kettle drum inside a glass-walled cage very bizarre. But whatever one says about the ambiance, my filet was undeniably excellent. Moist, tender and flavourful. :wub: I had to leave early to make a meeting, so no apps or desert.

Dinner Thursday night with another client at Rouge's. It's located in an old house just East of downtown and has the potential to be a much nicer room than it is. They either hired Dave Nichol as the designer or did it themselves. Service was disappointing - our waiter would regularly walk by our table but refuse to make eye contact. It didn't come across as rude, quite the opposite actually - like he didn't want to disturb or rush us, but the end result was just "slow". The food was up and down. We both started with a lobster bisque that was excellent - rich and creamy with big chunks of properly done (read not overcooked) lobster. My main course was roast duck breast marinated in kaffir lime with sage gnocchi. I don't order duck very often so I'll admit I may be unfairly critical here, but it was bland and lacked the texture I associate with duck. Oh, and the kaffir lime was nowhere to be found. The sage gnocchi on the other hand was quite interesting. Desert was a molten chocolate cake (that was not molten) and orange sorbet.

On deck: dinner at C tomorrow and lunch at HSG on Monday.

Edited by Vancouver Lee (log)

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

Betwixt and between our DOV meals at West, Chambar and Circolo, there has been:

Dinner with another family at Pondok Indonesian on Commercial Drive. The restaurant was jam packed on a rainy Saturday evening. Since that was two weekends ago, my memory fails me on the exact dishes we had. A bottle or two of Masi Valpolicella (2002, I think). Grilled tilapia, mee goreng, green beans in shrimp paste with prawns, lumpia and chicken sate for the kids... there must've been something else. Of course, deep fried bananas with ice cream for dessert. Comfort food, much like Filipino cuisine.

High tea with two girlfriends at The Secret Garden in Kerrisdale. Three tiers with lots of goodies, almost too many to remember: egg-salad pinwheels, chicken salad on mini-croissants, scones with clotted cream and raspberry preserves, slices of a mini banana-walnut loaf, lemon tarts, coconut banana (?) cake, mini tiramisu topped with a chocolate-covered coffee bean. And too many cups of vanilla almond tea for me to count. All of that food before our eGullet DOV dinner at West. :rolleyes:

Lunch on Wednesday at Josephine's on Main and 11th with a couple of fellow eGulleters. It was a Filipino tasting menu of sorts; I ordered lots of little dishes for us to sample. Lumpiang shanghai (egg rolls filled with pork and minced carrot, sweet chili dipping sauce), sinigang na bangus (milkfish, tomatoes and spinach in sour tamarind soup), kalderetang baka (beef and tomato stew), bistek (thinly sliced flank steak, fried with onions), kare kare (oxtail and tripe, cooked in peanut sauce, topped with bok choy, eggplant and green beans), barbecued chicken (in a sweet marinade), bopis (pork innards, minced and fried with chili peppers, green and red peppers, onion, tomato sauce, and vinegar), pancit palabok (rice noodle "chow mein" with chicken and assorted diced or julienned vegetables). Dessert, naturally, accompanied by cups of Tazo chai tea. Cassava pudding cooked with coconut milk, turon de saba (deep-fried banana and jackfruit spring rolls, drizzled with caramelized brown sugar), leche flan (a creamier version of creme caramel) and ube biko (sweet sticky rice, mixed with taro root, cooked in coconut milk and brown sugar). Clearly, just a little full after that meal. :blink::biggrin:

And lunch today at Ezogiku Noodle Cafe on Robson Street across from the library. Two bowls of teriyaki chicken ramen between the three of us, one bowl with miso broth and one bowl with shoyu broth (which I prefer).

Still to come: our last DOV dinner at Bistro Pastis this Wednesday.

Edited by Mooshmouse (log)

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I am proud to say that I hit three places today and ate happily at all three!

Went to Steamrollers downtown for lunch - steamed burrito. I did not eat the wrap(I always seem to have trouble digesting the wraps - don't know why). But the filling (beef+works) was really good - fresh, hot, and the greens were good. My single friend (female) particularly likes the place because of the high ratio of men who seem to frequent the joint.

Then I went to GoFish with my brother - needed a mental health day today. And as always - the fish and chips are exemplar. Fresh and hot and the slaw was crunchy and delicous. Now that the restraining order has expired - I can feel free to visit GoFish alot.

THEN we went to the Tomahawk - and I am ashamed to say that as a Vancouverite - I have never been there. Well - it was also really good - you guessed it - the burger was fresh, hot and the fries were crunchy and delicious.

So - maybe I am pregnant - the only sad part of the day was how tight the booth felft at the Tomahawk. My stomach was butressed against the table. Not a good sign.

Well, I am now allowed to post and figured what would be a better place to start? Apologies in advance if I'm doing so in the wrong format. :)

- South Ocean Seafood in Richmond for dim sum. Particularly enjoyed the scallop and shrimp dumpling, the shrimp topped shiu mai, and the braised tendon.

- West for DOV. Felt a bit more rushed than normally at West - but otherwise good overall. The veal was a bit chewier than I would have preferred. The steelhead that my partner had was excellent.

- Tartine for lunch. Their beef pot pie was excellent as usual with a flaky crust and tender beef chunks. The side slaw was crispy and not overally drowned in dressing as with many other slaws.

Looking forward to becoming active on egullet! :)

Cheers!

Well, I am now allowed to post and figured what would be a better place to start?  Apologies in advance if I'm doing so in the wrong format.  :) 

Great handle Vancouver! Surprised none of us thought about taking it before :wacko:

Welcome to eGullet and your new addiction. Interesting time here in the Vancouver & Western Canada forum, but be sure to visit elsewhere on this board. Lots to see!

Last 3 for me ....

Hamilton Street Grill for my son's 11th birthday. I needed to sho both my sons that Neil really did exist, and that Gingerbread Pudding is worth saving room for :biggrin: I was also there for lunch on Thursday. God I need to get a life!

Seoul House Royal with peppyre, Ling & Mooshmouse for lunch. My first Korean BBQ (really!) and definitely not my last. Sorry about playing with the call button on the table ladies ... it just looked so cool.

The Elysian Room after the BBQ for a cappuccino. hopkin even brought us a different style cappuccino (name was something in Spanish ... help?). He's adding it to the menu. Very serious coffee ... fantastic.

A.

Great handle Vancouver!  Surprised none of us thought about taking it before  :wacko:

I certainly was surprised too. But when the taking is good. :)

Thanks for the welcome! I've been addicted to reading for a long time now, now I'm looking forward to "giving back." :)

Cheers!

- Tartine for lunch.  Their beef pot pie was excellent as usual with a flaky crust and tender beef chunks.  The side slaw was crispy and not overally drowned in dressing as with many other slaws. 

Looking forward to becoming active on egullet!  :) 

Welcome to the madhouse Vancouver... glad to have you aboard!

I'm curious about Tartine. In surfing their website, I noted that they have a tasty-looking selection of soups and pies. Have you ever sampled any of their other menu offerings?

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I'm curious about Tartine.  In surfing their website, I noted that they have a tasty-looking selection of soups and pies.  Have you ever sampled any of their other menu offerings?

Thanks for the welcome Mooshmouse! :biggrin:

Yes, as a matter of fact I have. My personal favourites are their beef pot pie (previously mentioned), their turkey sandwich (they roast the turkey there and offer it on your choice of their breads - I personally prefer it on their cranberry & sunflower seed bread with their cranberry mayo, but they will prepare it to your liking of course), and their butter tarts (which are flaky and not too sweet). They sometimes will have apple struedel as well, and when they do it is flaky and crisp the way I enjoy it. I have yet to sample their soups. I did try a slice of pie once (I believe it was apple crumble) and it was ok, but not my favourite. The place has gotten quite crowded lately with the lunchtime crowd coming over from the Concord Pacific construction site.

Cheers!

Vancouver, thanks for the additional info! It's always good to get the heads-up on a new place with a reasonably priced menu. I'll have to add it to my "To Lunch" list and remember to go either early or late to avoid the construction rush. :smile:

Joie Alvaro Kent

Its been a while since the last time I actually had places to post.

The last three:

This Italian place on Main St, the name escapes me. 8 of us went, order The Feast, with lots of screwtop bottles of wine and they served it up family style for us. Lot of fun, kind of homey atmosphere and WAY too much food. Stumbled down the street to the legion for some shuffleboard to work off the dinner. (Never been to a Legion before. It was....interesting)

9th Avenue Grill for a Sunday breakfast, Vegetarian hash and scrambled eggs while listening to the waitress and possibly the owners argue in the open kitchen.

Go Fish, Saturday noon. Clear day, excellent food. Scored a seat on teh little deck which filled up really fast. Fish and chips for him, salmon sandwich for me.

< Linda >

This Italian place on Main St, the name escapes me. 8 of us went, order The Feast, with lots of screwtop bottles of wine and they served it up family style for us. Lot of fun, kind of homey atmosphere and WAY too much food.

Do you mean Cippriano's (sp?) Used to LOVE that place, especially when the owner came out and sang opera!

A.

This Italian place on Main St, the name escapes me. 8 of us went, order The Feast, with lots of screwtop bottles of wine and they served it up family style for us. Lot of fun, kind of homey atmosphere and WAY too much food.

Do you mean Cippriano's (sp?) Used to LOVE that place, especially when the owner came out and sang opera!

A.

That's the name! The owner didn't sing, but he entertained us a great deal with his banter. :biggrin:

< Linda >

Sushi Ten - homey rice bowl mom&pop place near work.

Sushihan - my mom&pop haunt for the usual.

Okay, I'll need some help with this one. I *thought* I saw this restaurant in the Vancouver Mag Eating and Drinking Guide, but now it's disappeared (insert chills here). No but really, it's on Park Rd in Richmond, just off of #3 Rd. The Romanized name is 4 words long and starts with a "B". It's the lone Chinese restaurant across Park Rd from Happy Date. I went (somehow very specifically) there for a late Saturday lunch and there was one man running the room and this younger girl that just ran food. The menu is pretty incomprehensible even if you can read Chinese :blink:, and you can't always trust the English bits either (ie "dumpling with dough gathered on top" which I understood as the mini steamed pork dumplings shao long bao, turned out to be shiu mai once read in Chinese). We were in and out of there in less than 1 hour, and saw five tables served with incorrect dishes (in amount or in entirety). We joked that even the chef couldn't understand the server's dialect. But damn, I've never had better steamed pork dumplings or sticky rice rolls anywhere else. Their dumplings have excellent filling-to-skin ratio, with nice thin skins (no hard lump of dough where it's gathered on top) that fill your mouth with hot meaty juices when pierced, and a good lump of pork inside. I've had so many sticky rice rolls made with old or improperly cooked rice (dry and hard), old or refried and oil-soaked Chinese donuts (why are they called that?) and barely any preserved veg or pork floss. Not this baby. Soft and glutinous sticky rice wrapped around a crispy Chinese donut (with soft, steam-cooked centre) and crunchy preserved veg in every bite.

We got to sit by the window where you can watch the guy that wraps their dumplings (some that we couldn't identify were HUGE, he was using a buffet serving spoon to portion the fillings). They also offer the usual dim sum fare (there weren't any carts when we were there), soup noodles, rice, etc... We also had soy milk (but not the kind with milk in it, just the pressed beans like mum used to make :wub: ), shiu mai, chicken feet, shrimp dumplings, braised beef rolls and the bill was just over $20 for two.

It's my "sticky-rice-roll-and-pork-dumpling-craving go-to" place. But with your help, it can have a name again. :laugh:

Run the earth. Watch the sky.

I believe Ling was mentioning this place on another thread, of course my brain isn't functioning at a very high level today, so I can't for the life of me remember which one.

Found it. Second page of the Over/Under Thread! I'd do the link thing, but opening up another page on this damned computer takes too long and usually crashed this POS!!!

Edited by peppyre (log)

I believe Ling was mentioning this place on another thread, of course my brain isn't functioning at a very high level today, so I can't for the life of me remember which one.

Found it.  Second page of the Over/Under Thread!  I'd do the link thing, but opening up another page on this damned computer takes too long and usually crashed this POS!!!

(CLICKETY)

Anything else I can help you with Tricia? :biggrin::biggrin:

A.

My last three:

Lunch today was at Kim Phung for my first experience with Pho. It ain't no gingerbread pudding, but :wub:!! I wasn't crazy about the tendon, but the flank steak was great.

Dinner on Saturday was at The Ordinary Cafe (I just posted my impression of it under it's own thread). Prior to dinner there, the group I was with stopped at my house and we had sushi from Sushi Bang on Broadway and candied salmon from Long Liner Seafood at Granville Island market.

Lunch on Friday was at Joe Fortes. I had one of the best lunches in recent memory: a black cod filet that was perfectly cooked and melted in my mouth. Just wonderful. I'm making plans to go back for dinner already.

Edited by Vancouver Lee (log)

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

in reverse order

indian oven - tonight - lamb rogan josh , garlic naan, raita .stella artios

hi nippon - take out lunch today - dynamite roll , hot spicy tuna roll, unidentified fried pork, gommae (sp ?).iced tea .

hamilton street grill - last day off - (see thread ) seared tuna number , steak and brandy-peppercorn butter situation , gingerbread pudding you know the score ,

bloody mary ( `s).

all very nice, thank you for asking

tt