• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Truth be told: Where've you eaten lately? (Part 1)

Mooshmouse

Kolachey SHop - Last Friday with Moosh and the little Mouse (jeez that kid can eat!).  Enjoyed a nice bowl of the Beef Stroganoff, a Reuben & a Roasted Veggie & Goat Cheese.  Dropped off a couple kolachey for peppyre as her office is on my way back to the showroom, and took a Christmas Ham kolachy home to J.  What did you think of the Christmas Ham peppyre

Sand Bar - Staff Christmas Party, *sigh*.  I try and I try to get the powers that be to go to some place better ... bot wallet-busting better, just better.  Can somebody explain to me how a set menu with 3 entrees can use the same frickin' sides for all 3??  Steak (more like gristle surrounded by meat), chicken and salmon ... all served with mash potatoes and red cabbage.  I understand the concept of keeping it simple for these parties ... but that was just lazy.  I was actually surprised as I've had a couple of decent meals at Sand Bar.

Highlight of the night:  The 4 cougars hitting on one of our carpenters.  :laugh:

Cru - Yesterday, J & I spent the afternoon decorating the tree and listening to Ella & Nat sing Yuletide favorites.  By four, neither of us were feeling particularly "festive" ... we were just tired and hungry.  So before an impromptu visit to Van Dusen Garden's Festival of Lights, we dropped of for dinner at Cru. 

This was our first visit ... and I feel bad for all the time I wasted.  :sad: Enjoyed the roast Lobster w/ beets, frites ... duck confit ... lamb (sooooooo good!)with gnocci ... bruschetta.  Dessert was poached pears for me, goat cheese cake for J ... okay, we shared  :biggrin:  I also had a glass of a really nice rosé, and forgot to write down the name.  I want to add a couple bottles to the cellar, so if anyone knows the wine lists there really well ...

What I really liked about Cru was how Vancouver it was.  The food was wonderful, but everything was so unpretentious and welcoming.  The room is great too ... I took some decor notes for my own home.  We'll be back for sure.

A.

Ummm, my restaurant is in your route. I have not had a Kolachy. Brian Fowke is there every other day and the p*&%k never thinks to bring me one. I am alsways stuck in the restaurant :angry:

Arne, what is up with that ? Am I dead to you ?

Edited by nwyles (log)

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

I am so amused by the ringing endorsements of the Kolachy Shop in this forum. I eat there at least once a week, working nearby. The Christmas Ham was very fun, little potato in there. I usually get soup and a Greek on Tuesdays. The chicken curry was very very popular with me, and the pizza one is like a manageable little calzone that won't drip sauce all over your shirt.

I always hesitate to recommend since the lines keep getting longer!

The ranchero breakfast Kolachy goes down quite well in the a.m. when you have been celebrating a bit too hard the night before.

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

This was our first visit ... and I feel bad for all the time I wasted.  Enjoyed the roast Lobster w/ beets, frites ... duck confit ... lamb (sooooooo good!)with gnocci ... bruschetta. Dessert was poached pears for me, goat cheese cake for J ... okay, we shared  I also had a glass of a really nice rosé, and forgot to write down the name. I want to add a couple bottles to the cellar, so if anyone knows the wine lists there really well ...

This wine on Cru's winelist is a great Cotes du Luberon rosé from Chateau Val Joanis, Southern Rhone.

dundarave fish market: excellent. some of the best prepared seafood in vancouver. totally simple, unpretentious, unique and needed.

chambar: massive floor changes happening in this belgian fusion bistro. we hear the night manager josie has gone and andre from lumiere in is charge. this room got busy quick so it's hard to put a handle on where it'll be three months from now. nico makes awesome food, far removed from pacwest but presentation and vibe is canuckistani par excellence. i think belgians and canadians have much in common. you get served by swingingly cool cats. the staff here are really great people.

lots of places to eat. i wish i could crawl them all.

i think vancouver is surfing the crest of a brilliant wave in restaurantdom right now. having lived and worked high-end in elsewhere in canada i can say with no authority that vancity is where it's at as far as leading the nation in cuisine is concerned. there's no place i'd rather be working in this biz.

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Urban Thai Bistro in Yaletown...always have a good meal here. Never remember the names of the items I eat but I know one is with pork floss in a pineapple.

Kansai on Lonsdale in North Vancouver. My regular sushi spot near home. Always good food, always bad service :unsure:

Steamrollers for my weekly #7

Derek

As I sit here eating an egg and sausage kolachy and reading this thread, alls I can say is .... "Mmmmm. Kolachy soft and chewy and savory. Kolachy yummy. Kolachy good."

The Kolachy Shop is on Beatty across from Dix, but I too get worried talking about it so much ... the lines seem to get longer and longer every day. And I know those guys need a break now and then, but man do I wish they were open on the weekend.

Edited by Xando Head (log)
Food Lover -- nothing more, nothing less

chambar: massive floor changes happening in this belgian fusion bistro. we hear the night manager josie has gone and andre from lumiere in is charge.

Three cheers for Andre!!! He'll do good things for Chambar- that guy is fantastic. Too bad for Lumiere on the other hand....

"Never eat more than you can lift" -Miss Piggy

[Kelseys in Regina.  Had 45 minutes before my flight left, I woke up too late for breakfast, and it was right next door to the Chapters where I was buying some last-minute Xmas presents.  I had chicken noodle soup and chicken quesadilas, both of which were awful.

Room Service at Hotel Saskatcehwan.  Had a decent New York steak, done medium rare as ordered, with sauteed mushrooms.  I don't recall what potato or vegetables were served with it, which speaks volumes about their quality.

Please please don't take away my eGullet membership!  I promise to do better next week, honest!

Vancouver Lee:

I think you mentioned in an earlier post that your work takes you to a number of spots in western Canada.

Have you tried The Creek in Cathedral Bistro in Regina? It was my favourite of the Regina spots I tried during a convention there.

[Kelseys in Regina.  Had 45 minutes before my flight left, I woke up too late for breakfast, and it was right next door to the Chapters where I was buying some last-minute Xmas presents.  I had chicken noodle soup and chicken quesadilas, both of which were awful.

Room Service at Hotel Saskatcehwan.  Had a decent New York steak, done medium rare as ordered, with sauteed mushrooms.  I don't recall what potato or vegetables were served with it, which speaks volumes about their quality.

Please please don't take away my eGullet membership!   I promise to do better next week, honest!

Vancouver Lee:

I think you mentioned in an earlier post that your work takes you to a number of spots in western Canada.

Have you tried The Creek in Cathedral Bistro in Regina? It was my favourite of the Regina spots I tried during a convention there.

No, I never have. I'm not back to Regina till the new year, but I'll be sure to visit first trip in January.

I did have one very memorable meal in Regina several years ago, but I can't remember the name of the restaurant. It's on Victoria, I think, just down the street from the SaskPower building and the Hotel Regina. Right next door to Golf's, I think. Had a fantastic Kenwood Zin and a tremendous sea bass. mmmmmmmm - maybe I'll have to spent 2 nights in Regina on my next trip there... :biggrin:

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

The Kolachy Shop is on Beatty across from Dix, but I too get worried talking about it so much ... the lines seem to get longer and longer every day.  And I know those guys need a break now and then, but man do I wish they were open on the weekend.

On a Sunday morning a couple of months ago, my wife and I decided to check these guys out. We visited their web site, found where they are, and headed over, and discovered the hard way they were closed on the weekends. I emailed them later that day and politely suggested they may want to add their hours to the web site. I got an email back from them Monday morning containing an apology and an offer of a free Kolachy. :biggrin:

With service like that, no wonder the lines are long.

www.leecarney.com

Vancouver Lee wrote in part:

I did have one very memorable meal in Regina several years ago, but I can't remember the name of the restaurant. It's on Victoria, I think, just down the street from the SaskPower building and the Hotel Regina. Right next door to Golf's, I think. Had a fantastic Kenwood Zin and a tremendous sea bass. mmmmmmmm - maybe I'll have to spent 2 nights in Regina on my next trip there... :biggrin:

You may be thinking of Danbry's. Former "gentleman's club", now a restaurant.

I certainly think the Creek would fit the bill. Much more electic menu than most spots in Regina with a limited but pretty well chosen wine list.

Funny you should mention Golf's. I arrived in Regina on a Sunday and after walking all about ened up there as the Creek [which at that point I had not been to] was closed. Ordinarily an old style steakhouse is just about the last place I would eat but out of the process of elimination and some desperation I ate there.

Turned out to be good quality and very good service.

Kolachey SHop - Last Friday with Moosh and the little Mouse (jeez that kid can eat!).  Enjoyed a nice bowl of the Beef Stroganoff, a Reuben & a Roasted Veggie & Goat Cheese.  Dropped off a couple kolachey for peppyre as her office is on my way back to the showroom, and took a Christmas Ham kolachy home to J.  What did you think of the Christmas Ham peppyre

Sand Bar - Staff Christmas Party, *sigh*.  I try and I try to get the powers that be to go to some place better ... bot wallet-busting better, just better.  Can somebody explain to me how a set menu with 3 entrees can use the same frickin' sides for all 3??  Steak (more like gristle surrounded by meat), chicken and salmon ... all served with mash potatoes and red cabbage.  I understand the concept of keeping it simple for these parties ... but that was just lazy.  I was actually surprised as I've had a couple of decent meals at Sand Bar.

Highlight of the night:  The 4 cougars hitting on one of our carpenters.  :laugh:

Cru - Yesterday, J & I spent the afternoon decorating the tree and listening to Ella & Nat sing Yuletide favorites.  By four, neither of us were feeling particularly "festive" ... we were just tired and hungry.  So before an impromptu visit to Van Dusen Garden's Festival of Lights, we dropped of for dinner at Cru. 

This was our first visit ... and I feel bad for all the time I wasted.  :sad: Enjoyed the roast Lobster w/ beets, frites ... duck confit ... lamb (sooooooo good!)with gnocci ... bruschetta.  Dessert was poached pears for me, goat cheese cake for J ... okay, we shared  :biggrin:  I also had a glass of a really nice rosé, and forgot to write down the name.  I want to add a couple bottles to the cellar, so if anyone knows the wine lists there really well ...

What I really liked about Cru was how Vancouver it was.  The food was wonderful, but everything was so unpretentious and welcoming.  The room is great too ... I took some decor notes for my own home.  We'll be back for sure.

A.

Ummm, my restaurant is in your route. I have not had a Kolachy. Brian Fowke is there every other day and the p*&%k never thinks to bring me one. I am alsways stuck in the restaurant :angry:

Arne, what is up with that ? Am I dead to you ?

All hail King Arne - guess who showed up at my doorstep with not one but two Kolachy's ! Arne, that's right , you guessed it, Arne.

And he was rewarded with a big chunk of pastrami that had been marinating for 6 weeks.

Now I need to actually break out of my place and go get some more - so very good.

P.S. Are they any good when served cold ?

N

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

All hail King Arne - guess who showed up at my doorstep with not one but two Kolachy's ! Arne, that's right , you guessed it, Arne.

And he was rewarded with a big chunk of pastrami that had been marinating for 6 weeks.

Now I need to actually break out of my place and go get some more - so very good.

P.S. Are they any good when served cold ?

Great Neil, now I'm going to be doing Kolachy runs for everyone! :sad: Then again you pastrami-stud :shock: that was a more than equitable trade.

Warm them up ... just not too long. And not in the MW if you can help it.

OK guys - so where is this Kolachy shop? And, dare I ask - what is a Kolachy?

Patience Foodie, patience. :rolleyes: You have to have something to look forward to in 2005!

A.

Thanks Foodie. I'm not the only one who doesn't know what a Kolachy is. And since Arne wasn't going to tell us :angry: probably so that he could feel :cool: , I did some research. OK, all I did was google "kolachy". This link will answer all your kolachy questions: kolachy.com

They look great! Gotta get me some...

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

Thanks Foodie.  I'm not the only one who doesn't know what a Kolachy is.  And since Arne wasn't going to tell us  :angry:  probably so that he could feel  :cool:

Hey! When did I become the kolachy-cszar? Moosh was the one who got me hooked in the first place! Let's blame her!

Besides, I share. Ask peppyre & nwyles :raz:

A.

You may be thinking of Danbry's.  Former "gentleman's club", now a restaurant.

I certainly think the Creek would fit the bill.  Much more electic menu than most spots in Regina with a limited but pretty well chosen wine list. 

Funny you should mention Golf's.  I arrived in Regina on a Sunday and after walking all about ened up there as the Creek [which at that point I had not been to] was closed.  Ordinarily an old style steakhouse is just about the last place I would eat but out of the process of elimination and some desperation I ate there. 

Turned out to be good quality and very good service.

Yep, Danbry's is the one. Looks like I'll be back in Regina between Christmas and New Years, it's going to be a tough call between The Creek and Danbrys!

I agree with you about Golf's. A few weeks ago I told the front desk at the Hotel Sask the same story about having a great meal in a place just down from the SaskPower building, and they said "yes, we know right where that is", and made me a reservation at Golf's. I immediately realized it wasn't the right place, but since they were busy and obviously could have offered my table to someone else I didn't want to cancel my reservation. The meal turned out to be much better than I expected. The iceberg lettuce salad was a disappointment, but the prime rib was excellent. The service was quite good, too, in a small town sort of way. Not very sophisticated (and certainly no attitude), but very competent and friendly.

I'll let you know how Danbrys or The Creek is next week.

www.leecarney.com

Hey!  When did I become the kolachy-cszar?  Moosh was the one who got me hooked in the first place!  Let's blame her!

Guilty as charged! There can never be enough love in the world for kolachies, especially the all-wonderful reuben. Warm bread. Good meat. Sauerkraut. Good meat and sauerkraut wrapped up in warm bread. How much better does it get than that! :wink: And their soups are outstanding as well; the beef stroganoff, laden with monster chunks of mushroom, is my favourite.

If it's a sweet kolachy you're looking for, try the apricot. Delish.

While I'm at it, here are the last three on my restaurant list aside from Friday's lunch at The Kolachy Shop with Arne and my son.

To capitalize on our gift certificates from the Big Night's silent auction, we had a fabulous dinner at Japone on Saturday evening with Lemon Boy -- that's lemon curd and Jeffy Boy for the as-yet unindoctrinated. Casting the menus aside, we entrusted our appetites to the guidance of Hiroshi-san and he brought us dish after dish of wonderful food. Standout plates were the sablefish sashimi in a yuzu sauce, agedashi eggplant and the maple-glazed sablefish. And then there was the shirako tempura. What's shirako tempura, you might ask. Why, fish testicles, of course! :shock: Hiroshi brought us 3 pieces to try, just to watch the expressions on our faces as we ate. Ian and lemon curd wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole and chose to heckle from the sidelines as, emboldened by our Sapporo beer, Jeffy Boy and I met the culinary challenge. Surprisingly enough, the tempura was quite good. No fishy taste whatsoever and it had a texture comparable to foie gras or a thick creme anglaise... soft, creamy and quite rich. Fear Factor, look out. Jeffy Boy and I will take you all on!

Ten dishes later, we rolled out of Japone and into La Belle Epoque on Cambie Street for dessert crepes that same evening. I had a cappuccino and a peanut butter crepe with a scoop of coconut gelato. Though the taste combination sounds rather blasphemous, the crepe was delicious.

Sunday brunch with the girls at Seb's Market Cafe on Broadway, one block west of Fraser. Francois Godbout has done an excellent job in both the ambiance and food departments; I'd like to head back one evening for dinner and some live jazz. Brunch was a strawberry and camembert omelette with fruit salad, homestyle fried potatoes and thick-sliced multigrain toast with apricot preserves. Accompanied, of course, by a king-sized latte.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Thanks Foodie.  I'm not the only one who doesn't know what a Kolachy is.  And since Arne wasn't going to tell us  :angry:  probably so that he could feel  :cool:

Hey! When did I become the kolachy-cszar? Moosh was the one who got me hooked in the first place! Let's blame her!

Besides, I share. Ask peppyre & nwyles :raz:

A.

...and they are really easy to make at home. The filling can be whatever you desire! Everything works...they are little bundles of joy, maybe we should rename them happy bundles! (LOL --> the Kolachy boys can 'fill the gap' on that joke!)

I tried this recipe at home and it was great...(I steamed the dough instead of baked to make a rendition of a chinese bun).

6 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 cup sugar

2 teaspoons salt

2 packages dry yeast

1 cup water

1 cup milk

1/2 cup butter

1/2 cup apricot jam

2 tablespoons butter - melted

sugar

Basic Sweet Roll Dough

In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, salt, yeast; blend well. In small saucepan, heat water, milk and margarine until very warm (120 to 130 degrees Fahrenheit). Add warm liquid and egg to flour mixture. Blend at low speed until moistened; beat 3 minutes at medium speed. By hand, stir in an additional 3 cups flour until dough pulls cleanly away from sides of bowl.

On floured surface, knead in 1 to 2 cups flour until dough is smooth and elastic, about 8 to 10 minutes. Place dough in greased bowl; cover loosely with plastic wrap and cloth towel. Let rise in warm place (80 to 85 degrees Fahrenheit) until light and doubled in size, about 46 to 60 minutes.

Punch down several times to remove all air bubbles.

To make dough a day ahead, after first rise time, punch down dough, cover and refrigerate dough overnight. Shape dough and let rise as directed in recipe below

Kolachy

Cut the dough in half. Freeze or use other half for a different recipe. Grease 2 large cookie sheets. On lightly floured surface, roll dough into 18x12-inch rectangle. Cut into 24 (3-inch) squares. Place 1 teaspoonful filling in center of each square. Gently pull opposite corners of square over filling. Repeat with other 2 corners, wrapping top corner around kolachy and tucking it under. Place 2 inches apart on greased cookie sheets. Cover loosely with greased plastic wrap and cloth towel. Let rise in warm place (80 to 85 degrees F.) until light and almost doubled in size, about 30 to 45 minutes.

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Uncover dough. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheets; cool slightly on wire racks. Brush with butter; roll tops in sugar. Serve warm.

...and to get this back on topic!

Places I ate in December:

Bistro Chez Michel (Lonsdale Quay): Best steak frites in town! Very French and only $16.

The Quay: The new Chef is a 10/10, give it another chance.

Mortons: Have they changed the quality of the meat?

Chef/Owner/Teacher