• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Truth be told: Where've you eaten lately? (Part 1)

Mooshmouse

The Blue Door is becoming my Fav breakfast place in Port Alberni; it is a total old school café from days gone by, it is not the cheapest breakfast joint in town but has a consistent charm to it and after ten visits I would say it is in the top five egg slingers in town.

Not to sound flippant steve ... but just how many egg slingers does Port Alberni have??

BTW ... I love the old school cafes. One of our faves is Skinny's Grill in Hope. Always stop by Skinny's for breakfast on our way to the cabin.

A.

Where exactly is Skinny's, Arne? A recent stop at Home was unsatisfactory.

J.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Lets see:

1) H20-4

2) blue door

3) Smitty's

4) Swale rock

5)Stamps at the Best western

6)Roadrunner restaurant

6)Capelllis cafe

7) Coast Hospitality's The Harvest restauarnt

8) Westwind Pub

9)Steamers Cafe

10)The Arli

11) the Rootcellar cafe

eleven places that do breakfast

steve :biggrin:

Cook To Live; Live To Cook

BTW ... I love the old school cafes.  One of our faves is Skinny's Grill in Hope.  Always stop by Skinny's for breakfast on our way to the cabin.

Where exactly is Skinny's, Arne? A recent stop at Home was unsatisfactory.

Hmmmm ... that kind of information is gonna cost you Maw! :laugh:

It's on the old Hope-Flood Road. If you look at the road signs announcing places to eat, Skinny's is on one of them. We've only ever done breakfast there, so you're on your own for lunch or dinner.

A.

Here are my last three:

Ajisai: Had the special sashimi platter that had Geoduck, Wild Sockeye, Hamachi, Kanpachi, Local Tuna, Japanese Akamaguro, Japanese Octopus and Amaebi.

Ordered some nigiri sushi from the fresh-sheet and was blown away by Sekisaba (a mackerel native to the northern part of Kyushu) and Isaki (Striped Pigfish). I doubt these are available elsewhere. As I was peeling my beer label, I noticed that Asahi beer is now brewed in the Czech Republic and then imported into Canada!

Connie's Cookhouse: Started with the Peppery Salt Chicken Wings and then for entrees, ordered the Kung Pao Chicken, Sliced Beef with Ginger and Onions and a big tub of steamed rice. Perfect rememdy for when you get pangs for a cheap and cheerful Chinese food craving.

Pair Bistro: Waited in line about a half an hour around 8:00 p.m. as they do not take reservations. We just ordered what the majority of other tables had ordered and we were in for a big letdown once we tasted the food. We didn't think it could be worse than the drinks and appies we had earlier at Vintropolis but it was pretty darn close. I think I'll stick to Cru and Parkside for this type of food. I may go back to Vintropolis for the Nota Bene which they sell for $52 a bottle!

Back to baking cookies! :biggrin:

Wild Rice

Never actually eaten there before. Always a martini or something, then off to somewhere else. What was I thinking? J & I had a wonderfull meal here after a really lousy day for both of us at work.

Many many small plates and several Tanq 10 martinis :biggrin: Started with the Halibut Congee, and could have closed down voting for best item right then and there. Wonderful lemonny congee with flakes of halibut, and crispy fish crackers. Perfect.

Continued with potstickers (squash, and lamb w/water chestnut), enoki mushrooms wrapped in kobe beef (my second favorite), and edamame. Mains were kung po chicken (J's second fave) which had 3, count'em, 3 different types of broccoli, and the su dong po wild board. The chicken was amazing ... the boar as well, nice and sweet with lots of fatty bits to keep me smackin' my lips. A little too much rice served with the boar IMO. On the plus side, it was very tasty rice.

Desert was 4 spice sticky rice ... didn't read the menu closely and was surprised with ... chocolate! This dish could have used a bit more cream, as it got a little dry once the cream was gone. Finished with tea and a round of Jaeger with the bar staff.

Service was attentive (helped that we were sitting at the bar) and knowledgeable. I've heard the room critisized for being noisy. We were sitting just below a speaker and could easily hear each other over the music (jeez I'm sick of that Ste. Germaine des Pres jazz-fusion crap!). We will definitely go again, probably to the detriment of Chambar :sad:

Go Fish!

"Yeah so what else is new!" I hear you say. I only mention this trip because I made it with our very own stovetop. I won't put words in his mouth, but he seemed suitably impressed. The soup was a Red Thai Curry Chowder, perfect for warming up on that damp Wednesday ... and I had a grilled salmon steak & frites. I still maintain they have the best fries (is there a difference between frites & fries? Or is one just more pretentious than the other?). For a sockeye steak, it was very moist. The citrous glaze made for good fry dipping too.

Boston Pizza

After Christmas shopping with the kids in Coquitlam. What a wasteland it is out there! I had a steak sandwich. At least they got the medium rare part right. Oh! And I earned 3 Airmiles!

A.

^It's been 2 years since I've been to Wild Rice, but the menu sounds like it hasn't changed much. The kung-pao chicken is one of my favorite dishes as well. I also really like the slices of beef tenderloin stacked between the fried triangles of sticky rice. Have you tried their Caesars? They use sambal in their recipe--really good! My favorite appetizer is the hot and sour soup; I wonder if that's still available. I've always found their desserts to be lacking, maybe because they used to be all dairy-free (don't know if this is still true).

Last three restaurants:

Saturday late dinner with out-of-town guest: Shiru-Bay in Yaletown, HOLY COW I loved it there (so did my friend), we shared the deep-fried prawns with sweet chili mayonnaise, a salmon tartare with a relish (I’m sorry, I forget the salient ingredient, it was unknown to me and it didn’t stick. It was good though), bluefin sashimi, and beef carpaccio with fleur de sel. We were just swooning, it was so good. We washed it down with a few Sapporos.

Sunday for lunch we went to Kitto on Granville Street, cheap and fast, I had the lunch special B with yaki-udon, and he had an Oden, wacky fish soup with strange strange things within. He was very game, though, and ate it all up, and said it was good. My friend lives in Copenhagen, so I guess his sushi possibilities are few, hence also the fact that we ate Japanese two meals in a row.

Sunday for dinner we went to Parkside, my new favourite place (well, for the past six or seven months--I managed to be taken to two separate birthday dinners there this year! score! as well as taking my parents there for Mother’s and Father’s Day) and I forewent the terrine of duck and foie gras, opting instead for Yukon gold blini with smoked salmon and crème fraîche, capers, etc...lovely. My friend started with the pithivier, which he was very impressed with. For mains, I had roasted pheasant, and he had prawns and scallops with a risotto Milanese. We finished off the me having the chocolate terrine (ingredients: chocolate, cream, and Amaretto, if I can believe my tongue) and he had the pink grapefruit in ice wine syrup.

We drank my new lower-end fave, a Burrowing Owl Syrah (edited, because I had a blonde moment, and initially had Merlot in there :rolleyes:), started with cocktails (I had a Parkside Negroni--the only way I can bear to drink gin--and he had a Cranberry Collins).

We loved it madly.

One of my best-eating weekends in a while, even including humble Kitto.

Edited by *Deborah* (log)

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Umami My husband and I walked in the pouring rain without an umbrella from Robson all the way to Davie. By the time we got to Umami, we looked like a couple of drowned rats. Despite our disheveled appearance, Hiro was as gracious a host as ever. I shared four tapas plates with my husband: Dungeness crab and scallop spring rolls with an avocado grape salad and wasabi mayo dipping sauce; Maple and soy marinated sablefish with yam potato pancake; Foie gras with barbecued eel on a slow-roasted slice of daikon in a honey ginger dashi broth; and grilled lamb chops with rosemary. Everything was exquisitely prepared and perfectly cooked. We both had a glass of the Township 7 Merlot and the Wishing Tree Shiraz. For dessert we split a Japanese Tiramisu.

Pho Number One. I went straight from the dentist to this little cafe on Denman Street because I needed a pho fix. Afterwards I went a few doors down to Cupcakes for dessert: a pink "Diva" cupcake. :biggrin:

Le Gavroche for my birthday dinner. Strangely enough, it ended up being a veal-themed dinner for us. My husband had the veal sweetbreads for an appetizer, then the veal tongue and cheek for a main course. I had a couple of slices from a wild boar and pistachio terrine for an appetizer, and veal chop for my main course. We shared a bottle of Domaine Saint Gayan Gigondas (1998) with dinner. For dessert we each had the Crepe Suzette.

-Christine

Edited by KnifeSkills (log)

Station 23 in Richmond a week ago. I had fried chicken wings, and fries covered in mayo and ketchup. Also had waaaaay too many drinks (my favorite--creme de cacao with Bailey's...mmm...dessert in a glass! Those things are deadly b/c I can't even taste the alcohol. I think they're called Slippery Nipples. :laugh: ) There was some drunken karaoke going on...haha. This was also the same night I was wandering around Davie, looking for food at 3AM (btw Arne--I know where Fresgo's Inn is now!)

Samurai Restaurant on Davie. I eat here about once a week, usually on a Wednesday or Thursday night because I get off work at 8:00pm on those days and don't feel like cooking. I had salmon sashimi, hamachi sashimi, and 1/2 of one of their huge house rolls.

Character's on Davie. Just got back from a quick dinner. Wasn't too hungry since I was eating chocolate covered macadamia nuts all day. Oh yeah, and I polished off an entire box of Almond Roca all by myself. :blink: Anyway, all I ate was a plate of kalamari. It wasn't fantastic...the yogurt sauce was very runny and bland, but the kalamari was perfectly fine. I used the buy one get one free coupon in the Georgia Street. So full now. :wacko:

Edited by Ling (log)

The Tomahawk for late brunch today after an errand-filled morning. Yukon bacon, two scrambled eggs, hashbrowns and multi-grain toast. Grease and coffee, a holy panacea.

Milestone's on Thursday for a quick pre-grocery-shopping dinner. Yes, yes, I know, Milestone's... let's just say it's convenient and Noah enjoys eating there. Hey, it beats Boston Pizza! For Ian, an entree-sized California Spring Salad with goat cheese, chopped apple, spanish onions, and spicy glazed pecans, washed down with two pints of Stella Artois. For me, Shanghai Noodle Stirfry with shitake mushrooms, red peppers, gai lan and honey five-spice grilled chicken, washed down with a couple of bellinis.

Soupspoons on West 4th last week with a girlfriend for a Christmas shopping intermezzo. A steaming bowl of Chicken Lemongrass soup and half an Italian Panini with prosciutto, tomato, swiss cheese, garlic and basil.

And a light meal at Umami a while back on a night that montrachet was seated at an adjoining table. Our dinner closely mirrored the one that KnifeSkills recently enjoyed: Albacore Tuna Spring Rolls with a nori and shiso wrap, Maple Soy Marinated Sablefish and Tiramisu with matcha cake and azuki-infused marscapone. Started with a glass of the La Frenz Viognier followed by a glass of the Wishing Tree Shiraz. What a wonderful haven on a rainy night.

Edited by Mooshmouse (log)

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Station 23 in Richmond a week ago. I had fried chicken wings, and fries covered in mayo and ketchup.

<SNIP>

I had salmon sashimi, hamachi sashimi, and 1/2 of one of their huge house rolls.

<SNIP>

Wasn't too hungry since I was eating chocolate covered macadamia nuts all day. Oh yeah, and I polished off an entire box of Almond Roca all by myself.  :blink: Anyway, all I ate was a plate of kalamari. It wasn't fantastic...the yogurt sauce was very runny and bland, but the kalamari was perfectly fine. I used the buy one get one free coupon in the Georgia Street. So full now.  :wacko:

Now that I've met Ling, I have only one question ...

Where the hell do you put it all??? 1/2 a box of Almond Roca would have finished me for the day!

A.

Where the hell do you put it all??? 1/2 a box of Almond Roca would have finished me for the day!

She walks it all off at 3 a.m.

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

Milestone's on Thursday for a quick pre-grocery-shopping dinner.  Yes, yes, I know, Milestone's... let's just say it's convenient and Noah enjoys eating there.  Hey, it beats Boston Pizza!  For Ian, an entree-sized California Spring Salad with goat cheese, chopped apple, spanish onions, and spicy glazed pecans, washed down with two pints of Stella Artois.  For me, Shanghai Noodle Stirfry with shitake mushrooms, red peppers, gai lan and honey five-spice grilled chicken, washed down with a couple of bellinis.

Sounds like Thursday's are wash day at the Moosh household. :raz:

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

Milestone's on Thursday for a quick pre-grocery-shopping dinner.  Yes, yes, I know, Milestone's... let's just say it's convenient and Noah enjoys eating there.  Hey, it beats Boston Pizza!  For Ian, an entree-sized California Spring Salad with goat cheese, chopped apple, spanish onions, and spicy glazed pecans, washed down with two pints of Stella Artois.  For me, Shanghai Noodle Stirfry with shitake mushrooms, red peppers, gai lan and honey five-spice grilled chicken, washed down with a couple of bellinis.

Sounds like Thursday's are wash day at the Moosh household. :raz:

When you put it that way, we at the mouse house don't mind doing the wash any day of the week! :wink:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Station 23 in Richmond a week ago. I had fried chicken wings, and fries covered in mayo and ketchup.

<SNIP>

I had salmon sashimi, hamachi sashimi, and 1/2 of one of their huge house rolls.

<SNIP>

Wasn't too hungry since I was eating chocolate covered macadamia nuts all day. Oh yeah, and I polished off an entire box of Almond Roca all by myself.  :blink: Anyway, all I ate was a plate of kalamari. It wasn't fantastic...the yogurt sauce was very runny and bland, but the kalamari was perfectly fine. I used the buy one get one free coupon in the Georgia Street. So full now.  :wacko:

A.

I put it the same place you put your Reubens--in the gut! :biggrin:

Almond Roca are some of my favourite candies. I share Moosh's love for sweets and over time, I seem to have grown a separate stomach just for sugar-laden treats.

<SNIP>

<SNIP>

A.

I put it the same place you put your Reubens--in the gut! :biggrin:

Almond Roca are some of my favourite candies. I share Moosh's love for sweets and over time, I seem to have grown a separate stomach just for sugar-laden treats.

Ha ha ha, I have an extra stomach too! it's right in front of the regular one!

:blink:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Three nights, three dinners out. Oh, my expanding waistline -- BUT hey, it's one of the benefits of living in Vancouver, isn't it?!...

Tonight, Simply Thai on Hamilton in Yaletown, w/casual out-of-town guests. This place never disappoints when I want basic (meaning not fusion), but very fresh Thai cuisine. Cho Muang is always a delight here.

Last night, my very first visit to Shiru-Bay, also on Hamilton. I am in love with this place! The bar was full, so my partner and I sat at the communal table, which was a great choice -- we sat between a couple visiting from Japan, and another couple visiting from Korea. Fantastic company, interesting conversation ... much of it about food. (Sapporos are on special on Monday nights too :).) We had the garlic mayo prawns, which were very intriguing, but perhaps a little too heavy on the mayo for my taste. The highlight of the meal was a lovely seared bonito with chantrelles and garlic ponzo sauce. It was perfection. For once, I was happy that my husband doesn't eat fish, since I had that dish all to myself and that's the way I wanted it! We also had the asparagus gyoza, and tried 3-4 other dishes off the specials menu. The music and atmosphere is loud and fun, and fitting to the scene. I loved it and can't believe I waited this long to go. We're planning to get 4-6 of our friends and go as a group next time -- so we can sample even more of the dishes.

Sunday night, it was takeout/delivery from Great Wall Szechuan, on Broadway just west of Cambie. We really enjoy this place for their overabundance of spice and garlic in many of their dishes. A little too heavy on the oil, but when you have a craving, it'll satisfy. Very inexpensive, quick, efficient delivery, the food is very good going down, and you can't get rid of the garlic breath for days...

Edited by Xando Head (log)
Food Lover -- nothing more, nothing less

Last three:

Saturday lunch at Beijing Noodle House in Richmond. Had a heaping plate of Singapore fried rice. Good flavour, with little pieces of pork and shrimp.

Monday lunch at Nebutaya, a Japanese restaurant on Marine Drive in White Rock. I was taking a mental health afternoon off from work, and on my way home the sun started peeking out, so I thought "to the beach". Had a California roll and a bowl of Beef Udon.

Today lunch at Sammy J. Pepper's in Richmond. It was a work-Christmas-related lunch. Had a burger and fries. Answered "beef" to the question "beef or chicken". (Didn't realize I had a choice of species). Burger was "weller" done than I would have wanted, with a thin layer of cheese that had been broiled to the point you could clearly see the burger indentations through it. Almost translucent. Beer was cold, and with a mug just out of the deep freeze, I got beer slush forming on top. Don't mind that a bit.

Edited by Jeffy Boy (log)
I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

Vij's tonight. Got there at 6:10 tonight and snagged the last deuce in the place. The sablefish in yoghurt/tomato sauce and the quail cakes with celeriac puree were fantastic as appys!

Picked the Sea Bass and Chicken for entrees and were not disappointed.

The 2002 Nota Bene was a perfect compliment to the outstanding meal.

Vikram, your presence made it all the more enjoyable.

Parkside for a year-end meal with 7 friends in the food industry. According to everyone, every meal was perfection. Great cocktails and about 5 different wines to compliment the excellent food. Thanks Chef Durbach, We'll all be back soon!

Kelsey's in Steveston with my 6 year old niece. I had a forgettable appy platter but the service was top notch and the gimmicky treasure chest for kids at the end of the meal is what keeps the repeaters coming back I suppose.

Oh my goodness, this is so embarrassing..... :wacko:

Burger King. Had a double cheeseburger, just KMR. Ate one fry hoping that they'd changed the recipe somehow, then threw the rest of the fries away. What can I say? My 6-year old wanted a hamburger....

Kelseys in Regina. Had 45 minutes before my flight left, I woke up too late for breakfast, and it was right next door to the Chapters where I was buying some last-minute Xmas presents. I had chicken noodle soup and chicken quesadilas, both of which were awful.

Room Service at Hotel Saskatcehwan. Had a decent New York steak, done medium rare as ordered, with sauteed mushrooms. I don't recall what potato or vegetables were served with it, which speaks volumes about their quality.

Please please don't take away my eGullet membership! I promise to do better next week, honest!

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

Tomato Cafe on Main for lunch - Had a turkey sandwich with the usual suspects, happily the turkey wasn't dry. SO had the beef something or another with melted cheese blueplate. :rolleyes: Shared the pumpkin spiced creme caramel, it was more like goopy pumpkin pie goodness with a thin layer of custard on top. I'm usually fond of this place, maybe it was just an "off" day.

Tandoori King on 65th for dinner - Been on a search for unadulterated Indian food and it's a throw up between the British Vancouverites and (it seems) everyone else on what's authentic or not. Shared a veggie pakora, I had lamb vindaloo, SO had the King special. Went home stuffed with spicy-happiness and naan.

McD's late late one night - Annual Filet craving. :unsure::biggrin:

Run the earth. Watch the sky.

Kolachey SHop - Last Friday with Moosh and the little Mouse (jeez that kid can eat!). Enjoyed a nice bowl of the Beef Stroganoff, a Reuben & a Roasted Veggie & Goat Cheese. Dropped off a couple kolachey for peppyre as her office is on my way back to the showroom, and took a Christmas Ham kolachy home to J. What did you think of the Christmas Ham peppyre?

Sand Bar - Staff Christmas Party, *sigh*. I try and I try to get the powers that be to go to some place better ... bot wallet-busting better, just better. Can somebody explain to me how a set menu with 3 entrees can use the same frickin' sides for all 3?? Steak (more like gristle surrounded by meat), chicken and salmon ... all served with mash potatoes and red cabbage. I understand the concept of keeping it simple for these parties ... but that was just lazy. I was actually surprised as I've had a couple of decent meals at Sand Bar.

Highlight of the night: The 4 cougars hitting on one of our carpenters. :laugh:

Cru - Yesterday, J & I spent the afternoon decorating the tree and listening to Ella & Nat sing Yuletide favorites. By four, neither of us were feeling particularly "festive" ... we were just tired and hungry. So before an impromptu visit to Van Dusen Garden's Festival of Lights, we dropped of for dinner at Cru.

This was our first visit ... and I feel bad for all the time I wasted. :sad: Enjoyed the roast Lobster w/ beets, frites ... duck confit ... lamb (sooooooo good!)with gnocci ... bruschetta. Dessert was poached pears for me, goat cheese cake for J ... okay, we shared :biggrin: I also had a glass of a really nice rosé, and forgot to write down the name. I want to add a couple bottles to the cellar, so if anyone knows the wine lists there really well ...

What I really liked about Cru was how Vancouver it was. The food was wonderful, but everything was so unpretentious and welcoming. The room is great too ... I took some decor notes for my own home. We'll be back for sure.

A.