• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kosher Cooking

msphoebe

bloviatrix - I'm in south Kansas City, on the Kansas side.  If anyone knows of a good market or bakery that specializes in kosher, please let me know.  I think a gift cert. would make a nice housewarming gift.

There is Irv's Market in Overland Park which carries a full line of kosher foods ... but I think the apples and honey basket is a lot easier and will cause no religious concerns ....

These people will have a lot of information on their website as well ... for instance there are a lot of bakeries which offer kosher items, one of which, New York Bakery on Troost, is a place I frequented after I got married and my husband was in the Army at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas ... at that time they had incredible cheesecakes but that was 25+ years ago ... :rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I'm to see that Gifted is familiar with KC since that's one city I don't know anyone in.

I also think the apples and honey is a great idea. Honey with no additional flavorings doesn't need certification, but there are a lot of great honeys on the market that do have cert.

If you're still looking for other ideas, Kosher Cornucopia does really nice baskets.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I have found this topic very interesting and read a lot on Kosher cooking over the last few days. I have a new found respect for those that practice (if that's the right word) and maintain a Kosher kitchen.

I was talking to a co-worker about this and he asked about Kosher salt. Other than largwer grains and a better taste (IMO), what's the deal with Kosher salt?

I hope I end up moving in next to you some day or vice versa. I'll eat anything you bring nor matter how it's prepared - and I'm a really good neighbor :biggrin:

Actually.... just weighing in to reiterate the comments already made about your thoughtfulness. It's refreshing and heartening to see people continuing to care for their neighbors in such a way.

Thank you Rachael Perlow for clarifying what dairy kosher might be: I had read through the linked article on kosher preparations and rules and still hadn't seen the answer to the question!

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.