• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BC wine rated 99/100 by Wine International

Andy Lynes

Having recently visited the Okanagan Valley and been generally inpressed by the quality of the wines there, I was interested to read that Mission Hill's 2001 Oculus, its Bordeaux style blend, was rated 99/100 by Natalie MacLean in a survey for Wine International magazine. Full details are available at the winery's website.

I tasted many wines whilst I was in the Valley and Vancouver, but this wasn't one of them unfortunately. Has anyone had an opportunity to taste the stuff? What are your feelings about BC wines in general?

I haven't tried Oculus either, not having the budget for that, but everything I've read about it has been good. The only quibble I've heard is that for the retail price, international wines of similar quality can be had for significantly less.

As for Natalie, I've read her columns several times and found them to be generally informative. Recently, though, she's been criticised for inflating her scores.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Haven't tasted Mission Hill, but it seems that the Okanagan Valley has become a little slice (drop?) of Bordeaux these days; I'm just writing up a new wine produced via joint venture between Gruaud Larose and Vincor - wild guess who oversaw production...yup, Michel Rolland. It has a super fruity, intense 'new world' character to it, hints of licorice and decent tannins. It might calm down in a few years.

Having recently visited the Okanagan Valley and been generally inpressed by the quality of the wines there, I was interested to read that Mission Hill's 2001 Oculus, its Bordeaux style blend, was rated 99/100 by Natalie MacLean in a survey for Wine International magazine. Full details are available at the winery's website.

I tasted many wines whilst I was in the Valley and Vancouver, but this wasn't one of them unfortunately. Has anyone had an opportunity to taste the stuff? What are your feelings about BC wines in general?

The winery "commisioned" her to conduct the tasting? Puhlease!

Seems potentially corrupt to me.

Actually, I think it was the magazine that commissioned the tasting, but I agree something smells here, to get a rating that's so far off the map for Canada.

I haven't tried the 2001 Oculus. Though I'm a fan and supporter of BC wines, I don't spend $35.99 a bottle for it. Even if someone gave it 99 points.

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

You're right Jeffy, I just re-read it. Why do new wine regions need to think they can compete with wines at the highest level. Can't they just make nice drinkable wine and let us decide wether it's on a level with the finest wines from other regions. This self promotion is a classic emperor with no clothes. I have drank enough wine in my life to know that they can't make a red wine that consistently rivals even the most mediocre classified bordeaux or aussie shiraz in the Okanagan.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

Perhaps the taster was influenced by her surroundings. The Mission Hill winery is gorgeous, and I know that when I'm enjoying one of the Okanagan's better wines with all that stunning scenery I sometimes think I've landed in paradise.

Someone said recently that the Okanagan is a lot like Napa valley - except it's got a 60-MILE LONG LAKE RUNNING DOWN THE MIDDLE!

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

The plot thickens. See this thread from the Centre of the Universe - oops I mean Toronto, etc. - forum: Nat Decants, Natalie Maclean's inflated 100 points.

Mission Hill is a great vinter, but I haven't had anything that comes close to a Parker or Wine Spectator 99. But maybe this particular label is very special. I don't know...

Malcolm Jolley

Gremolata.com

The plot thickens. See this thread from the Centre of the Universe - oops I mean Toronto, etc. - forum: Nat Decants, Natalie Maclean's inflated 100 points.

Interesting. I think this is how to get a proper "Canadian" rating out of her inflated scores:

(Her Rating) x 5/9 + 32 = 99 "B.S." Points x 5/9 + 32 = 87 points.

Sound a little more appropriate for a good Canadian wine??

• 4 weeks later...
Nathalie. Care to address our doubts concerning your marks for this wine?

Sure... the magazine gave me guidelines for what constitutes gold, silver and bronze... their categories, as they relate to the actual scores, are fairly high. So that was part of the influence. The other was the wine itself: it was indeed terrific. I haven't been to the Okanagan (I hope to go next year), so that didn't have an influence. I'd like to hear from anyone who has had a chance to try this wine.

Thanks,

Natalie

Natalie MacLean

Wine Newsletter Writer

www.nataliemaclean.com

I hate points!

They are as easily manipulated as any statistic, and tend to take the place for many people of actually reading a review.

The sort of rigged point system we are talking about here reminds me of when you see wines with Gold Medals! You read the fine print and it turns out that the wine in question was the best (and possibly only) Petite Verdot in the 2003 Wagga Wagga Farmer's Fair or something equally meaningless.

Best of all is to actually taste the wines.

The 2001 Oculus is a very nice wine. It is worth the asking price, IMHO. The 2001 Osoyoos Larose is not as nice a wine, and is overpriced. The 2002, which I have not yet tasted is reputed to be a bit better. I understand that they intend to take the price up to around $70 Can. within a few years. If I think it is overpriced now, imagine my reaction to that!

If I had to place them in a point scale as used in the Wine Speculator, I'd have to put the OL in the mid 80s and the Oculus in the high 80s.

There are better wines made in BC. Unfortunately they are made by 'winegate' operations, not 'tank farms' (by which I simply mean the large wineries), and are of very limited availability, due both to their low production as well as the fact that the best BC wines tend not to be VQA and so cannot be sold in the VQA wine stores.

Those who visit BC may want to search out wines like Black Hills Nota Bene, Poplar Grove Reserve, and a new wine from Jeff Martin at La Frenz called simply Reserve. They are unlikly to be able to find them in Vancouver - many sell out in a couple of weeks from the winery.

Here's my two cents worth.

The Oculus is very drinkable now with nice fruit but as magnolia menitons, the Larose needs a few years to develop it's true potential. I've had a few bottles of the Larose and it is a very consistent and well made product. I recently tasted the La Frenz Reserve mentioned by bills, and this wine definitely needs to be laid down for awhile in order for the high alcohol content and intensity of the fruit to meld and mature properly. Nota Bene offers a very drinkable wine upon release and therefore leads to its popularity here in B.C. It's sometimes very diffcult to determine the aging potential of products from such young wineries.

Natalie, if you need a guide for your trip to the Okanagan, just let us know and we'd be more than happy to accomodate.

I still do not like the balance of the 01 Larose, although time may prove it a better wine than I presently give it credit for.

I tasted the newly released 2001 Oldfield Collection (86% merlot, 13% cab franc and 1% syrah) last night and found it to be the superior wine. We shall see how they both age.

• 2 weeks later...
I still do not like the balance of the 01 Larose, although time may prove it a better wine than I presently give it credit for.

I tasted the newly released 2001 Oldfield Collection (86% merlot, 13% cab franc and 1% syrah) last night and found it to be the superior wine. We shall see how they both age.

bills,

Did you buy the Oldfield's Collection duo-pack (one with Stelvin closure and the other with natural cork)? It will be interesting to see how the closure will affect the aging process of the wine.