• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dim Sum in Oakland

Curlz

My dad, a fellow eG member, is in Oakland for the weekend and is staying right near Chinatown. He's without a computer, so I'm here to ask for him...do any of you have recs for a good place for dim sum tomorrow?

Thanks in advance for the assist!!

Curlz (in the soggy, soggy northeast)

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Most people try Jade Villa at least once - easy to find and decent but not really 'great'. I mention it in order to discourage you (your dad, I guess) from going there based on others' personal or print recommendations. This is just my view, and I've only been twice, but I don't think it's good.

I think the food is unquestionably better at Peony or Legendary Palace. If your dad's not into driving around forever, there's probably no better place than Peony - it'll be very good food, it's a big fun dim sum house, and there's parking right below.

Let us know where he ends up going and how it was.

Peony

388 Ninth St.

Oakland 510-286-8866

Jade Villa

800 Broadway

Oakland 510-839-1688

Thanks a lot, Basque! I'll certainly let you know where they end up. Much appreciated...

Curlz

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

hey there's a parking garage smack in the middle of chinatown so you don't have to drive around for parking unless you feel like parking curbside. Cheap too.

Where'd they end up going?

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

• 1 year later...

I had dim sum at Jade Villa this past March and thought it was pretty good and actually comparable in quality if not variety to Koi Palace in Daly City. Unfortunately I wasn't able to sample much as I was with my friend and his young twin sons. What I did have though was very tasty

gallery_8158_2800_56927.jpg

Shrimp stuffed crab claws. I get this any chance I can. While I have had better renditions of this, these weren't bad at all.

gallery_8158_2800_20586.jpg

Pork stuffed dumplings. Good.

gallery_8158_2800_45957.jpg

Chicken feet. These were very tasty indeed.

gallery_8158_2800_67437.jpg

gallery_8158_2800_35187.jpg

Sticky rice in lotus leaf. Delicious.

gallery_8158_2800_5349.jpg

I don't remember the name of this dish, only that it was good. It was a dish that my friend wanted. I tried that and ate most of everything else :laugh:

gallery_8158_2800_90200.jpg

Softshell crab with garlic sauce. I am a sucker for softshell crab but I had my doubts about this dish when I selected it because this is not really soft shell crab season and I have had some very poor examples of this at even some very highly regarded dim sum palaces (e.g. Silver Pond in Englewood, N.J.). It was a test of sorts for me and it passed with flying colors. The flavors were strong and true and the texture was perfectly crisp and not in the least greasy.

Jade Villa may or may not be the best dim sum place in oakland or the Bay Area, but everything I tried was at least very good. I would be very happy to have this near where I live.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

For anybody who is interested: if you have a car, there are a couple of good dim sum restaurants in the city of Richmond. Richmond is only 10 minutes away from Oakland along I-80 Eastbound. Exit Central Ave and make an immediate right followed by another immediate right.

It's hard to find parking in Oakland China Town sometimes. At Richmond it's easier.

Saigon Seafood Harbor Restaurant

3150 Pierce Street

Richmond, CA 94804

(510) 559-9388

In fact I just went to Saigon Seafood Harbor this morning for dim sum. The tastes are very good. I would say not as top as Koi Palace but not that far. Prices are okay I think. (2 of us, 7 dishes, $24 including tax).

The newest restaurant is:

Asian Pearl

3288 Pierce Street, #A-11

Richmond, CA 94804

(510) 526-6800

Their dim sums are very good. Prices are bit higher than Saigon Seafood Harbor.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

I don't remember the name of this dish, only that it was good. It was a dish that my friend wanted. I tried that and ate most of everything else :laugh:

I think that is "Shrimp and Chive Dumpling". It looks like they have chopped chive and minced shrimp inside wrapped inside a dough that is made with powder from glutinous rice. First steamed, then slightly fried.

Cantonese name is "Siu Jing Bao" (Crystal bread).

I think that is "Shrimp and Chive Dumpling". It looks like they have chopped chive and minced shrimp inside wrapped inside a dough that is made with powder from glutinous rice. First steamed, then slightly fried.

Cantonese name is "Siu Jing Bao" (Crystal bread).

Thank you, Ah Leung, that is indeed what it was!

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

• 2 weeks later...
For anybody who is interested:  if you have a car, there are a couple of good dim sum restaurants in the city of Richmond.  Richmond is only 10 minutes away from Oakland along I-80 Eastbound.  Exit Central Ave and make an immediate right followed by another immediate right.

It's hard to find parking in Oakland China Town sometimes.  At Richmond it's easier.

3150 Pierce Street

Richmond, CA 94804

(510) 559-9388

In fact I just went to Saigon Seafood Harbor this morning for dim sum.  The tastes are very good.  I would say not as top as Koi Palace but not that far.  Prices are okay I think.  (2 of us, 7 dishes, $24 including tax).

Asian Pearl

Richmond, CA 94804

(510) 526-6800

Their dim sums are very good.  Prices are bit higher than Saigon Seafood Harbor.

Had dim sum at Asian Pearl today and quite enjoyed it. So far it ranks highest on my list for the East Bay. Have not been to Saigon yet, that is next on the list places to try.

For anybody who is interested:  if you have a car, there are a couple of good dim sum restaurants in the city of Richmond.  Richmond is only 10 minutes away from Oakland along I-80 Eastbound.  Exit Central Ave and make an immediate right followed by another immediate right.

It's hard to find parking in Oakland China Town sometimes.  At Richmond it's easier.

3150 Pierce Street

Richmond, CA 94804

(510) 559-9388

In fact I just went to Saigon Seafood Harbor this morning for dim sum.  The tastes are very good.  I would say not as top as Koi Palace but not that far.  Prices are okay I think.  (2 of us, 7 dishes, $24 including tax).

Asian Pearl

Richmond, CA 94804

(510) 526-6800

Their dim sums are very good.  Prices are bit higher than Saigon Seafood Harbor.

Had dim sum at Asian Pearl today and quite enjoyed it. So far it ranks highest on my list for the East Bay. Have not been to Saigon yet, that is next on the list places to try.

Anything in particular stand out?

Twitter - @docsconz

One dim sum dish that I really like at Asian Pearl is (and I posted some pictures in the China forum):

gallery_19795_2014_1662.jpg

Soup Dumpling. 魚翅灌湯餃 (Guan Tong Gow [Cantonese]) This is not Shanghainese Xiaolongbao. It is a Cantonese version of soup wrapped inside a dumpling. But in modern days, the dumpling skin is long bursted before the dim sum is served. The meat filling is pork I think. The dumpling is served in superior chicken broth. This one is served with a small piece of shark fin.

I don't get to see this offered in many dim sum restaurants in California.

Regular price US$5.50. That Friday I dropped by, it was the special-of-the-day for US$2.95. I walked right in to their restaurant without hesitation! :laugh:

Edited by hzrt8w (log)

The egg tarts were nice and flaky and the filling had a good eggy flavor.

The standout was probably the "har cheong", not too dense or too thick, good sized shrimp, and the sauce was terrific with just a slight hint of sweetness. Been a while since I've this good a rendition, much better than the ones I've had HKFL or Koi.

The har gow again had the right wrapper thickness and consistency.

Overall thought the food was much better than the usual east bay favorite, Peony.