• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sunday night dinner

jwjojo

Don't know if either is open on Sunday nights, but I would check out Rocca in Glen Ridge or Village Green in Ridgewood. I think either would be a great choice for an anniversary dinner, and both are BYO. Don't know if it matters, but VG is probably a more 'romantic' atmosphere, but I was there with an eG group of about 14, so who could tell? :biggrin:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Don't know if either is open on Sunday nights, but I would check out Rocca in Glen Ridge

Good Lord, don't go to Rocca on a Sunday night !!! I did last week, and just posted the details of a miserable meal in the regular Rocca thread.

I should add that we had an utterly superb meal at Cafe Matisse in Rutherford just a few weeks ago, and indeed they are open on Sundays. Depending on what time you go, they offer a fixed price dinner (appetizer, main course, and dessert) - lots of food, all of it extremely delicious, for either $52 or $62, and it is a great deal. You can check it out here

Cafe Matisse Website

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

We had dinner at Rocca a few weeks ago. I really enjoyed it, but my non foodie boyfriend did not. Too much for his palate?? Don't ask. Anthony David's sounds like a good idea, as does Elysian Cafe (have not tried it yet...heard one okay report) but the festival is tomorrow and will avoid Hoboken if possible. Cafe Matisse for someone that does not love good food is just a waste. Any other ideas??

Elysian Cafe (have not tried it yet...heard one okay report) but the festival is tomorrow and will avoid Hoboken if possible. 

You're right to avoid Hoboken tomorrow. As for Elysian Cafe, I had one dinner there; wasn't knocked out, to be honest! The place is lovely inside, and dining al fresco is also an option, but I found the (French-inspired) menu a little too brief, and just wasn't impressed with my meal--with the exception of the frisee salad, which was ample and beautifully dressed.

Other ideas...

Trattoria Fresco (Caldwell)? 'tho if your bf didn't like the food at Rocca, I don't know if TF would still be too adventurous--but they do make pizza! :laugh: (How do we find these guys, btw?!? :raz:)

How about the Ironbound? These places aren't BYO, but they're close to home! Casa Vasca is simple, good food; if you want ambiance, go to Adega Grill. Also in downtown Newark (new), is the Savoy Grill. I haven't been yet, but I'm told by folks who appreciate good food that they're doing a nice job. It's about a block from NJPAC-- safe area, and they may even have valet parking.

Just a few more thoughts!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

Trattoria Fresco it is.  Thank you.  He can always order a pizza if need be  :biggrin:  I don't know how I found a person with absolutley no passion for food.....but I did, and I still love him  :raz:

And that's all that matters--as long as he lets you drag him out for good food once in a while! :biggrin: Enjoy!

Also, The Dining Room at Anthony David's in Hoboken is open on Sunday. Both BYO.

I had an excellent meal (the tasting menu) at Anthony David's in July of 2003. Our only objection was that the portions were tiny (in fact, we ordered extra dishes on top of the tasting menu). I asked about portion size, and learned that the "tasting" portions were actually half-portions from the regular menu. With that description, two of us didn't think that those would be big enough portions to make a meal ordering an appetizer and main course from the regular menu, which is why we haven't returned.

But the food was thoroughly delicious, and everything about the place was great.

Photos of that meal can be found here: Anthony David's Dinner Photos

And, it's BYO, and I think that when places with food like this are BYO, it opens up a great world of wine pairing possibilities.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

I had an excellent meal (the tasting menu) at Anthony David's in July of 2003.  Our only objection was that the portions were tiny (in fact, we ordered extra dishes on top of the tasting menu).  I asked about portion size, and learned that the "tasting" portions were actually half-portions from the regular menu.  With that description, two of us didn't think that those would be big enough portions to make a meal ordering an appetizer and main course from the regular menu, which is why we haven't returned.

I've never been to Anthony David's, so I have no idea exactly how "tiny" the tasting menu portions are. But what I've found is that too many chefs make the mistake of making their tasting portions much too large so that, even though I don't have a tiny appetite, by the end of the meal, I'm straining to finish without feeling stuffed. From my experience, when it comes to perfectly-sized tasting menus, those chefs keep all courses small with the exception of what is considered the "main course," which they step up a little in size.

Since you say you haven't returned to Anthony David because you fear that the portions on the regular menu might not be adequate for your appetite, why not just add a course or two on your own? So, for example, have an additional soup or salad and/or add a cheese course before dessert. That way, you can enjoy this restaurant's delicious food and not go away hungry.

• 2 weeks later...
Trattoria Fresco it is.  Thank you.  He can always order a pizza if need be  :biggrin:  I don't know how I found a person with absolutley no passion for food.....but I did, and I still love him  :raz:

Where did you end up? Any good food to report? Am curious--and hungry (it's lunchtime). :biggrin:

"After all, these are supposed to be gutsy spuds, not white tablecloth social climbers."

Ended up at Trattoria Fresca and wrote a review under that thread.  We were very disappointed with our experience there.

------------------------

Bankok Kitchen, two blocks east of Trattoria Fresco, on the Avenue, is also open on Sunday evenings. Also BYO.

As is La Stella, a new red sauce place (based on the menu in the window) across the street from Nori.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo