• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: Bone Marrow

Brooklyn

I don't know who has it other than Blue Ribbon.  Theirs is quite tasty.

Prune, on 1st Ave and 1st St.

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

For years I had enjoyed the bone marrow at Blue Ribbon. However, currently my favorite bone marrow in Manhattan is at Landmarc (179 West Broadway, between Leonard and Worth Street). Three very large marrow bones are served with an onion marmelade and toasted country bread. One of the litttle added features that I like about Landmarc's marrow is that the bones are not cleaned of the bits of meat that cling to the bone. It may not be the most dainty thing to do, but I love picking off these little crisp bits after finishing off the marrow.

Don't be disappointed. You asked at a time when some people are actually pursuing outside lives (the nerve! :shock: ) and might not have seen your question. A lot of eG'ing happens at work, you know (so much more interesting than whatever we're being paid to do :wink: ). Patience.

Edited by Suzanne F (log)

Don't blame eGulleteers – blame New York. I did a search for "marrow" on menupages.com and, besides those already mentioned, there were only six other restaurants listed (interestingly, Landmarc wasn't one of them). And ugh! Half of them apparently shilled themselves in the review section - who would trust a retaurant that had to stoop that low?

And that's only Manhattan. Sorry I can't help you myself, but I hope you get many more responses. Shoot, for all I know, there could be a marrow cart by the ball fields in Red Hook on Sundays :wacko:

To hell with poverty! We'll get drunk on cheap wine - Gang of Four

Michael Johnson's Steakhouse at Grand Central also served it but not sure if MJ is still in operation.

Of the ones listed above, I've only had the version at Prune and none else. Landmarc is probably next up on my list. You can bet there won't be a pickle salad on their plate.

Prune's version was nice but I could have done without the pickle salad. Something to counterpoint the richness of the marrow bones, just not chopped pickles from a jar, thank you very much.

Soba

Michael Johnson's Steakhouse at Grand Central also served it but not sure if MJ is still in operation.

Of the ones listed above, I've only had the version at Prune and none else.  Landmarc is probably next up on my list.  You can bet there won't be a pickle salad on their plate.

Prune's version was nice but I could have done without the pickle salad.  Something to counterpoint the richness of the marrow bones, just not chopped pickles from a jar, thank you very much.

Soba

Sorry. I don't believe Michael Jordan's carries bone marrow anymore.

Oh, and Professor Plum, I see that was your first post on eGullet... Let me be the first to say, "Welcome"! It is always exciting to have a new voice here on eGullet - the place where THE REAL food, wine and restaurant experts come...

• 4 months later...
I think they have it at Gavroche. I seem to remember another patron getting it as part of her entree and leaving it behind.

Mary

I think there's some on the menu at Crispo:

Menupages lists: "Bone Marrow "Arrosto" uva, cipolla confit". (Also, I've just learned that Crispo cures its own guanciale for bucatini alla amatriciana and its own pancetta for spaghetti carbonara.)

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

Not quite "Best Bone Marrow" but rather best use of bone marrow:

Boneless rib chops at Ducasse are larded liberally with bone marrow.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"