• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pasion recommendations?

scratchline

I've got a reservation for my birthday dinner at Pasion next week.  Just wondering if Philly foodies in the know have any recommendations?  Thanks much.

The obvious choice is any of the ceviche, which is the specialty of the house. If you're a carnivore then the mixed grill is excellent. I haven't seen the latest menu, but when I worked there and ate the food often, it was pretty much all good.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

i would highly reccomend their appetizers in general. katie is, of course, correct in reccomending the ceviches. if available, i love the ahi tuna ceviche - it's called fire and ice (it comes in a cocnut shell!) and also the king salmon which comes with a ricotto pepper and onion sauce, and if you don't mind a touch of heat, the baja bay scallops with a blackened tomatillo and truffle sauce.

as far as other appetizers go, i absolutely love the arepa with rock shrimp sauce, the calamari salad, and the chile relleno (stuffed with cheese and lobster). both the guacamole cubano (with grilled pineapple) and the tomato, crab, and papaya salad are simple and refreshing, and the javali (wild boar skewers) is very interesting.

as far as entree's go, the cold smoked rib-eye has as much, if not more, flavor as any steak i have ever had. and the pork chop (although a little pricy @ $28) is awesome. the chop is stuffed with chorizo and basted with apple butter, yum! also, the "decandente" dessert rocks.

all that being said, they have a chef's tasting menu (6 small courses) available each night which is ussually a terrific cullnary adventure, and has a wine pairing option which is very cool. have fun, report back... :biggrin:

If you really want to get a good sampling of their menu, go for the Chef's (tasting) Menu. Last time I was there, the tasing menu was as follows:

Amuse - Homemade duck ham, Honeydew Melon Salad, Chile Garlic Line Sauce

Ceviche - Japnese Hamachi, Trio Pepper of Citrus Sauce, Fennel Sprouts

Appetizer - Cangrejo- Pan roasted soft shell crab, wilted spinach, royal trumpet mushroom sauce

Salad - Remolacha- Roasted Beet, grilled asparagus and baby arugala salad, pepita goat cheese truffles, cumin orange vinaigrette

Entree - Azafran- Rum glazed halibut, grilled chayote and shrimp salsa

Dessert - Cacahaute Chocolate- Chocolate and peanut butter bombe, citrus coconut sauce

Petit Four - Banana, chocolate tres leches truffles.

The tasting menu is available with wine pairing, though unfortunately I did not indulge as I usually might, for I was a guest speaker at nearby Temple University that night.

The reason I remember the menu so well is that the waitress got the menu signed by the chef, and I added it to my collection of signed tasting menus from around the world.

If you opt not to try the tasting menu, go for the smoked ribeye that others have recommended or any of the fish dishes.

Enjoy

Percy