• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheese Courses

mktye

My cheesy older sister will be in town visiting the first week of October and we plan on hitting the cheese course at one or two places while she is here. But where?

Yes, I've already thought of the obvious: Nectar.

I've also read good things about the cheeses at Palena, Mendocino & Citronelle.

Anywhere else we should consider?

My cheesy older sister will be in town visiting the first week of October and we plan on hitting the cheese course at one or two places while she is here.  But where?

Yes, I've already thought of the obvious:  Nectar.

I've also read good things about the cheeses at Palena, Mendocino & Citronelle.

Anywhere else we should consider?

Nectar, Nectar and Nectar.

Resident Twizzlebum

If you ask nicely at Palena, they'll serve you your cheese accompanied by sliced local apples and this stiff, orange Umbrian honey that tastes like a crystalized solar flare.

Palena is a bright little village. Solar Flare, raved one critic. Many stars, screamed the other.

Palena is a bright little village.  Solar Flare, raved one critic. Many stars, screamed the other.

a lactic beacon indeed. it will blind you and your ilk. and a lovely bouquet, sorry glass, of flowers (from... napa perhaps..) at the bar at nectar with their cheese would be akin to vision-impairing fireworks. i was in your boat for a while until i turned to these fabulous folks for cheese advice and now look at me: suggestions! that thread still lurks around here somewhere iam sure... if i had not techfear but techjoy i would gladly put the link up but alas, alack, tis not the case.

there is no love sincerer than the love of food

- george bernard shaw

i feel like love is in the kitchen with a culinary eye, think she's making something special and i'm smart enough to try

- interpol

Fed-ex from Artisanal, Artisanal, Artisanal and party at home in your robe.

Sis is heading up to Artisanal later on that week (which I suspect is the real purpose of her trip east).
Cheestique

Also a planned outing. :smile:

I wouldn't overlook Galileo as a third option after Nectar and Palena. I've thoroughly enjoyed cheese courses there a couple of times--complete with house-made jams and an assortment of yummy breads.

i think this may have done it but bear with me if it doesnt work:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...1&st=&p=entry

the old cheese thread that is.

- george bernard shaw

i feel like love is in the kitchen with a culinary eye, think she's making something special and i'm smart enough to try

- interpol

in the fabulousy delicious but nontableclothed, tuxedo-clad servers, intimidating sommeliers but nonetheless delicious realm, bistro d'oc on the seemingly infinite reconstructed 10th street serves up a delicious, if simple, cheese plate. as i recall, only two cheeses but intelligently selected and served at the proper temperature.

- george bernard shaw

- interpol

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I don't have a committed date yet, but my cheese rep from Artisanal in N.Y. is coming to town this month. By next Wednesday I should know when he is coming in. We have been discussing doing a wine & cheese forum here. It may coincide with our normal Thursday night wine tasting. If anyone is interested I'll get back to you with the details.

Drew Trautmann

Executive Chef

Mendocino Grille

Citronelle is using Artisanal Cheese Center in New York for cheese, as well. Sit in the bar and have a cheese plate and a glass of Marquis-Philips Shiraz "9".  That and some Epoisses..........  mmmmmmm  (Homer Simpson voice)

Epoisses! I am having that tonight (from Chessetique) with an 89 Chauteau-Neuf-De-Pape from Dad's cellar.

• 1 month later...

We had dinner with four friends last night at Corduroy and on a whim shared a cheese plate after the second course while we were waiting for the sabayons to bake . . . what a treat and just the right amount for a taste of four great cheeses.

The 20-year port didn't hurt matters, either.

The knife is mightier than the pen.

i love cheese. the stinkier and the runner, the better.

I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back. I want to be on you.