• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coq Au Vin

SobaAddict70

Ptipois,

When sourcing a "coq" in France for a coq au vin, what should I ask for? Will the butcher/stall holder understand if I explain what it's for or do I need to find the French term for a "real rooster"?

Your description makes me want to take down my well-thumbed 30 year old Julia Child and get cooking with her classic recipe.

Just say "je voudrais faire un coq au vin, qu'est-ce que vous me conseillez ?"

The butcher or stall holder will then automatically direct you towards the most suitable fowl. Either a large, mature chicken with legs that prove that the bird has had some chance to run during its lifetime, or a rooster if he happens to have some handy. He will also offer to cut it up for you.

I have noticed that large butcher shops or market stalls are more likely to have rooster available than regular neighborhood butchers.

But you can perfectly order rooster from any butcher shop, counting a few days for the sourcing.

Koen: indeed "coq" is rooster, but "poulet" is chicken and "poule" is hen.

Edited by Ptipois (log)