• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eminently Drinkable Plonk!

RobInAustin

For the most part the wines I've recognised in this thread can be had in the Chicago market without pushing the $10 price point too hard, at least when they are on sale. Two notable exceptions are, however Trimbach Gewurtz.- $17 to $19 and L. Felluga Pinot Grigio, which, at $21.99 is higher than Santa Margarita- $21.79 at the same store. By the way, is it true that Santa Margarita P.G. is line priced with their Cab and Chard in Italy? What's up with that

My bad. It's the Livio Fellugo ESPERTO Pinot Grigio that $9.99 at Total Wine in Cherry Hill, NJ. Should have been more specific. I still think it's better than the Santa Margherita though...:biggrin: Santa Margherita is mass produced refinery jug wine that comes in 750 ml bottles instead of jugs IMO. Crap that has the hell marketed out of it and not much else to recommend it. Feh!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Ok, here is one of those "insider" revelations. Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio is nothing more than, are you ready, Mezzacorona Pinot Grigio under their own label. A stealth label worthy of Gallo...but sadly true. Santa Margherita used to be a great 8 dollar bottle. Now, is plonk, marketed well at $20 plus to unwitting sheep.

Buy Mezzacorona for $15 for a 1.5 liter if you like Santa marg.

Back to great plonk buys.

Cheers,

Rob

"When I lived in Paris, and champagne was relatively cheap, I always enjoyed a half-bottle in the middle of the morning and another half-bottle at six or so in the evening. It did me a tremendous amount of good." - Gerald Hamilton.

i've said it before many times and i'll say it again: cuvée de peña. at the pennsylvania state stores the price has gone up from $5.99 a bottle to $7.99 a bottle, but it's still worth it, to me. is it complex? no. will it confound you? no. will you be clamoring for descriptors? absolutely not. it's just plain consistently tasty and goes with everything. yeah i said everything.

Katie, I agree with you on both counts, thanks for the clarification. I had a bottle of the Esperto last year and it worked well with a bowl of linguine with white clam sauce  :wink: As for the other, I'd rather drink lemonade.

And I agree with you on both counts. :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

To add another good quality pinot grigio I have found the Lugano Pinot Grigio to be a suberb quaffer (19.95 per magnum here). Another Winebow product that hits the spot especially in summer is the Rose de Regali. My go to red is Guigal Cotes du Rhone which is priced from 7.99 to 9.99 locally. Just topping out over the $10 is Josemeyer's Pinot Gris from Alsace.

Edited by dlc (log)

I'll jump in and add a few.

Chateau Mille Anges, $9.99

Chateau la Croix de Millorit, $9.99

Chateau Bonnet Blanc, $8.99

Domaine Lafond Tavel, $9.99

Domaine du Mas Boislauzon Cotes-du-Rhone, $9.99

Cline Zinfandel, $6.99

Ramsay Syrah, $9.99

Inama Pinot Grigio, $9.99

Falesco Vitiano, $8.99

Pierre Sparr Riesling, $9.99

Hugel Gentil, $7.99

Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc, $8.99

That'll do for now.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

• 3 weeks later...

A question that fits in the spirit of this thread, budget-wise...

I'm helping to organize a corporate-type reception the first week of November, for which the hosts (of whom I am one) are providing the wine. I need at least one red and one white, maybe 2 of each. Since it's a bunch of Americans hosting a bunch of international visitors, it would be nice if we could show off decent domestic wines.

Here's the kicker, however; two of our guests are Aussie winery owners, so despite the fact that we're limited in budget, we need to provide something that tastes good.

Any and all suggestions welcomed!

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

The monthly newsletter from my local wine store has a list of recommendations from their panel of experts.

This month's list has a few wines under $10. Anyone here have any experience with these?

03 Dom du Pavillon Cote Roannaise (France, Loire) $10

Sommelier

Ristorante Tosca

Washington, DC

03 Dom du Pavillon Cote Roannaise (France, Loire) $10

Sorry for that last post - serves me right for trying to quote on my second try. (I'm new at the whole internet forum thing........) :unsure:

What I was trying to say is:

The "Cote Roannaise" is on granite soil near the mouth of the Loire, and produces wines made from the gamay grape. It can be a terrific value if you're looking for something simillar to one of the lighter crus of Beaujolias (like Brouilly), and '03 is a pretty ripe year. Domaine du Pavillon has a good reputation (according to Clive Coates), but this is one of those wines I've only read about - never actually tasted!

For yummy affordable plonk try:

Badia Coltobuono "Cancelli" (sangiovese and syrah) 2003 from Tuscany - $9.99

Sommelier

Ristorante Tosca

Washington, DC

Hannah, let us know where you are geographically, because that will help us sort out what we have tried and what we think may be available . . .

K Morgan, no problem. Thanks for the great suggestions--we're always looking for those great new releases and surprising bargains. That's what this thread is all about!

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

>2002 Palazzo Bandino, Chianti Colli Senesi ($10) A robust sangiovese offering far more flavor and varietal intensity than the price would suggest. Not a squeaky clean modern industrial wine, but a wine that offers real character at a bargain price. A Jens Schmidt Selection -Imported by Montecastelli Selections.

>2000 Saladini Pilastri Rosso Piceno ($10) Offering tremendous structure and style for a wine at this price range, this wine clearly sings of its Mediterranean heritage. This is no simple, fruity industrial wine, but a bottle that proclaims its Italian birth by its fresh acidity and racy bitter cherry flavors. An excellent choice for buying by the case for parties and your house red and any restaurant should consider this wine for their wine-by-the-glass program. The perfect foil for robust Italian-American dishes. A Leonardo LoCasio Selection, Imported by Winebow.

>2002 Salandra, Nero d'Avola, Sicilia IGT ($10) This full flavored red is selected by Christopher Cannan whose refined and experienced palate shows in in this stylish wine. Salandra offers none of the overripe or oxidized flavors that mar so many inexpensive Sicilian wines. This is a fruit packed wine that still has good structure and a lot of complexity for a wine at this price. Salandra is a "buy-by-the-case" house red that you won't get tired of drinking. A Christopher Cannan Selection, Imported by Europvin.

>2001 Rossetti Chianti, Tusco ($10) There should be a lot of red faces in Chianti after they taste this wine. How do Tino and Linda Rossetti do it? Vintage after vintage this winery produces a range of tremendous values. Their 2001 Tusco Chianti offers more substance than many wines with more famous names and much higher prices. Whenever you spot this wine on a restaurant's wine-by-the-glass list you know that the buyer is doing their homework and is interested in delivering good wine at fair prices to their clients. The 2001 Tosco is a brilliant ruby and is just translucent. The nose is full of ripe plums and bitter cherries with a nice earthy touch to add complexity. It is firm and lively on the palate with lovely bittersweet cherry fruit and a clean, fruity finish with just a light touch of tannin at the end. Invest in cases of this charming Chianti to enjoy with all sorts of grilled meats. A Jens Schmidt Selection - Imported by Montecastelli Selections.

>2001 Leone di Castris, Salice Salentino, Maiana ($10) Bright ruby, just translucent. The nose is full of forward, earthy fruit with a touch of warm Mediterranean sun. On the palate the wine is multifaceted showing bright fresh cherry fruit with a touch of dried mushrooms and a bitter minty note. The finish is balanced with medium tannins well carried by the ripe fruit. Ready to drink now. Imported by AV Imports.

>2002 Borgo Magredo, Pinot Grigio ($10) A fresh, clean fruity pinot grigio that makes an excellent apertif or compliment to fresh seafood pasta dishes. A Mario Belardino Selection-Imported by Bedford International.

>2002 Bollini Chardonnay Trentino, Barricato 40 ($10) A well balanced chardonnay that clearly shows varietal character highlighted by just a touch of oak. If you like Macon Villages and Pouilly Fuisse you will like this wine, which is obviously modeled after its French cousins. Far more balanced and refined than California and Australian efforts at this price range. A Neil Empson Selection, Imported by Kobrand

>2003 San Marco Frascati Superiore ($10) A surprisingly robust Frascati that shows what is best about modern winemaking and how many types of wine can be dramatically improved by technology. San Marco produces this wine from a blend of trebbiano Toscano, malvasia di Candia, malvasia del Lazio and Bonvino. It is a refreshing white wine that is packed with fruit with highlights of ripe peaches in the aromas and on the palate. Imported by Palm Bay Imports.

>2001 Librandi Cirò Rosso Classico ($10)Bright scarlet/garnet. Spiced ripe wild strawberries and tart plums - the slightest hint of rhubarb. Explosively fruity. Bitter sweet tart plums with wild cherries and raspberries finishing with a cranberry touch. Long clean with zesty acidity. Really fun and up-front with both bright fruit and the warm, ripe flavors of southern Italy. Great value. A Leonardo LoCascio Selection-Imported by Winebow

>2001 Monte Antico ($10) Bright, dark ruby. Ripe, smoky plum aromas with just a touch of sweet oak and just enough earthiness to make it interesting. Excellent structure on the palate with a refreshing wild bitter cherry fruit balanced by just enough ‘modern’ smoothness. There is a decided Sangiovese varietal character with enough tannin to keep the wine for several years. The finish is long and crisp with the bitter cherry flavor that cleans the palate so well. You can’t beat Monte Antico for an everyday wine or party wine that will satisfy almost everyone’s palate. This is a wine to buy by the case. A Neil Empson Selection, Imported by Empson USA

Hannah, let us know where you are geographically, because that will help us sort out what we have tried and what we think may be available . . .

I'm in DC, but the wine will most likely be purchased either in Knoxville or Atlanta; if there's something fabulous we can only get in Atlanta, we'll wait until we get there.

Also, is there a semi-reliable guideline for how much to buy? We're expecting about 70 people at the event, but there'll be beer available as well.

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

Figure four 8 oz. glasses per bottle, and expect 30-50 people to drink wine, an average of 2 glasses each.  That's two cases--one white, one red.

Not to be a stickler, but actually there are 25.4 ounces of wine in a standard 750ml bottle. That would make for five 5 oz. glasses, or four 6 oz. glasses with an "angel's share" per bottle.

I'd still stick with between 8 and 12 bottles of each. How much wine people will drink depends entirely on whether there's a full bar and/or beer available as well. People tend to drink more and will drink almost anything if it's at someone else's expense.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Not to be a stickler, but actually there are 25.4 ounces of wine in a standard 750ml bottle.  That would make for five 5 oz. glasses, or four 6 oz. glasses with an "angel's share" per bottle.

Uh yes, but I was referring the size of a typical wine glass, which one hopes, would not be filled entirely to the brim, lest one get wine all over one's buttondown shirt. :raz:

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

For the most part the wines I've recognised in this thread can be had in the Chicago market without pushing the $10 price point too hard, at least when they are on sale. Two notable exceptions are, however Trimbach Gewurtz.- $17 to $19 and L. Felluga Pinot Grigio, which, at $21.99 is higher than Santa Margarita- $21.79 at the same store. By the way, is it true that Santa Margarita P.G. is line priced with their Cab and Chard in Italy? What's up with that :blink:

To answer your specific question, yes, Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio is not only priced in line with the others, but is a US$4 wine. What it has going for it it is near flavorlessness. When I think of all the people who pay $40+ a bottle in restaurants for a wine that is one step up from coming in a juice box, I weep.

OK, back on topic:

2002 Bishops Peak "Rock Solid Red" - Paso Robles, Central Coast, California, USA (10/13/2004)

$8.09 from The Wine Steward club, 14.4%. I'm conflicted about this wine. One one hand, it's flavorful and balanced, but on the other hand the flavor is marred by clumsy oak and a charry note. Big but not oozy or jammy. Not a bad match with grilled lamb chops, and my wife likes it more than I do, pouring herself another glass. Still a good value and overall Good+.

Posted from CellarTracker!

Plus most of the wines in my earlier post WTN: Six months of mostly value wines.

Walt

Walt Nissen -- Livermore, CA

Uh yes, but I was referring the size of a typical wine glass, which one hopes, would not be filled entirely to the brim, lest one get wine all over one's buttondown shirt.  :raz:

Mary:

You and I both know that, but most of the "Do you have a pulse? Can you walk erect? Great! You're hired!" catering waitrons I see will invariably fill the glass (or plastic cup) as though it were an aquarium. :rolleyes:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I think spillage is pretty likely given that a lot of the attendees will be jet-lagged. :laugh:

Okay, so a case of red and a case of white (if it's too much we can schlep it along to the next stop on the trip). Now, what should I buy?

I think spillage is pretty likely given that a lot of the attendees will be jet-lagged.  :laugh:

Okay, so a case of red and a case of white (if it's too much we can schlep it along to the next stop on the trip).  Now, what should I buy?

I suspect fuller glasses when folks serve themselves, jet lagged or not! :biggrin:

Any of the wines from Cline, Ravenswood (Vintner's Selection) or Bonny Doon (either the Big House wines or the Ca del Solo Cal-Ital line) are widely available and well priced for domestic choices. They're all excellent "cocktail party" wines in that they aren't so serious they could only be enjoyed with a sit down dinner.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

• 1 year later...

My sub $10 all-stars include Snoqualmie Syrah ($8) and the Bodegas Norton Malbec ($10).

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

My everyday cheapo-vino are, on the red side, two Spanish wines, the Valdubon Cosecho, and the Panarroz, respectively about $8 and $6.49 (with case discount).

The white - and it mostly goes with anything, as well as going down *real* easy - is the Aveleda Vinho Verde, which I would get for $3.47/btl (by the case) at an undisclosed (*cough* Canal's *cough*) location if I were to break the law of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Which I simply couldn't.

Though I think of it as primarily a summer wine. And the slight sweetness and hint of carbonation might not be everyone's cup of tea.

I'm also currently very much enjoying the '04 Omaka Springs SB, at $8.99, but I don't think that is the price for the general population, just for us verra verra special Pa. folk.