• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chales Shaw Celebrates 10 Million Cases

Carolyn Tillie

From Business Wire....

My only question is... does this mean that otherwise non-wine drinking people are actually beginning to consume this beverage -- and might their palates eventually have the potential to be trained to wanting a better version than the Two Buck Chuck?

From Business Wire....

My only question is... does this mean that otherwise non-wine drinking people are actually beginning to consume this beverage -- and might their palates eventually have the potential to be trained to wanting a better version than the Two Buck Chuck?

From my experience, I have yet to encounter anyone 'new' to wine who started with it. They all seem to be wine drinkers who want a "good deal", like my 80 yr old parent's friends who are retired and looking to save a buck. They load up the car with cases of the stuff. (their friends, not Mom and Dad thank God they know better). To be fair, I bought a bottle of the Chardonnay and Cabernet to try when last in Los Angeles...so undrinkable I could not even bear to cook with it. After two hours open, hoping for improvement, I poured both out in sheer disgust.

"When I lived in Paris, and champagne was relatively cheap, I always enjoyed a half-bottle in the middle of the morning and another half-bottle at six or so in the evening. It did me a tremendous amount of good." - Gerald Hamilton.

Most of the people I know who drink Shaw are "older" people, who like to have a glass or three with dinner, and like to entertain friends frequently who may or may not like wine. They keep Chuck on hand for every night drinking and for guests who will be content with quantities of anything alcoholic. They can be gracious and generous hosts without impacting their kids' inheritance. Still 10 million gallons is a lot of happy grandparents!

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

From my experience, I have yet to encounter anyone 'new' to wine who started with it. They all seem to be wine drinkers who want a "good deal", like my 80 yr old parent's friends who are retired and looking to save a buck. They load up the car with cases of the stuff. (their friends, not Mom and Dad thank God they know better).  To be fair, I bought a bottle of the Chardonnay and Cabernet to try when last in Los Angeles...so undrinkable I could not even bear to cook with it.  After two hours open, hoping for improvement, I poured both out in sheer disgust.

Geez, Mary, I try not to think of 52 as old but now..... hmmm where is that geritol. I keep it around for a casual glass of wine during the day or when I don't want to cook with an expensive wine. I guess it is sort of like SHasta cola vs coke or pepsi, not the same for sure, but along the lines and a cheap substitute. Heck, at least it may spur people on to find out what may be more complex.

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo

Don't reach for the geritol yet!! We're just trying to figure out where the demographics are for 10 million cases! I also know twenty-somethings and young parents who buy it. Besides, I'm told I look fifteen years younger than my true age, and since 75% of my calories come from wine, it must be the proanthocyanadolic oligamers! :laugh::laugh:

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook