• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

swiss restaurants

tommy

We ate at Auberge Suisse once many years ago, but I have absolutely no recollection of what we ate or how good the food was. I don't think there are any Swiss restaurants in NJ. Even NYC is not exactly overflowing with Swiss restaurants. The only one I know of is Mont Blanc though it's not strictly Swiss. You can see their menu on menupages.

http://www.menupages.com/restaurantdetails...d=9&cuisineid=0

The main Swiss restaurant in NYC is Danube, isnt it? Or is that Austrian?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

There is nothing particularly distinguishing that identifies "Swiss cuisine" so it's unlikely that you will find a "Swiss" restaurant anywhere but in Switzerland. About the closest you will come is that fondue place that recently opened in Westwood; I think, though, that fondue is more of a fad than a cuisine...

Disclaimer: I am NOT being a wise guy.

There's the Swiss Chalet Bakery in Morristown, and they've been there forever...aside from satisfying whatever sweet craving you may have for Swiss food, I'm betting they could tell you if there's someplace in the area where you could find the savories! :biggrin:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

There is nothing particularly distinguishing that identifies "Swiss cuisine"....

Yes there is, they put pickles in everything.

Or if it's fine Swiss dining they use capers.

More seriously, I think of rosti as being quintessentially Swiss, though I know it's also found in Germany & Austria. There was a Swiss place in NYC that claimed to serve it, but their rendition was so disappointing, I purged the name of the place from my memory baniks.

If anyone knows where to get good rosti in this area, please let us know!

Edited by ghostrider (log)

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Tommy, I just realized that I know exactly where you want to go for Swiss food...

IKEA!!! What do I win??? What do I win???

NOW I'm being a wise guy. But I'm quite proud of myself for thinking of it... :biggrin:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

Tommy, I just realized that I know exactly where you want to go for Swiss food...

IKEA!!!  What do I win???  What do I win???

NOW I'm being a wise guy.  But I'm quite proud of myself for thinking of it...  :biggrin:

Sorry, IKEA is SWEDISH. Meatballs and herring, and a lot more tall blondes than in Switzerland.

Sorry, IKEA is SWEDISH.  Meatballs and herring, and a lot more tall blondes than in Switzerland.

DAMMIT! And I was so proud of that one, too. But DUH, Curlz--I knew it was Swedish. I'm blaming the Rx I'm taking. :wacko:

SOB! Both of us could cry because Hans Keller did not reopen the Auberge

Suisse. We were steady customers of his for years.

I considered his food German Suisse and it was excellent, especially accompanied

by Bitburger beer on draft.

My husband favored the air dried beef and raclette for appetizers. For a main course, his choice was veal Zuricher. Mine was sauerbrauten with awesome

red cabbage and spatzles. Dessert was apple strudle or ice cream with

cherries.

However, the special reason to go was their winter game menu. In addition to

wild boar, they served venison as many as 4 different ways. We knew no other

place to offer such options

The chef/owner of The Saddle River Inn comes from Switzerland and he just might cook some favorite Swiss dishes for you on request. His name is Mr. Egg (sp). The restaurant is always high on Zagat's list of best restaurants in NJ (I totally disagree) but you will get decent enough food there for a lot of money. I beleive that it is still BYOB.

Hank

The Fromagerie in Rumson has a decididly Swiss flavor, as Hubert and Marcus Peters are of German/swiss heritage. I think it started as French, then made a foray into more Swiss Alsationa, and can now be condsidered a thorough mixture of all..its been arond forever, but 10 years ago it made a real push to update..visits during that time were wonderful..not sure how they are now, website here: http://www.fromagerierestaurant.com/

There is nothing particularly distinguishing that identifies "Swiss cuisine" so it's unlikely that you will find a "Swiss" restaurant anywhere but in Switzerland.  About the closest you will come is that fondue place that recently opened in Westwood; I think, though, that fondue is more of a fad than a cuisine...

Fondue may be a fad, but it's a fad that comes back every 20 years, as each new generation discovers it. Last winter we pulled out the fondue set received as a gift 30+ years ago!

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

The Fromagerie in Rumson has a decididly Swiss flavor, as Hubert and Marcus Peters are of  German/swiss heritage. I think it started as French, then made a foray into more Swiss Alsationa, and can now be condsidered a thorough mixture of all..its been arond forever, but 10 years ago it made a real push to update..visits during that time were wonderful..not sure how they are now, website here: http://www.fromagerierestaurant.com/

We had dinner twice at the Fromagerie last year. We were there first for a brokerage house presentation. Because this was a group event, we weren't expecting much from the cuisine. Surprisingly, the food overall -- the main course grilled tenderloin in particular -- was excellent. That prompted us to go back on our own. This meal was something of a disappointment -- at least so far as what I ordered. My husband, the cassoulet addict, was satisfied with Fromagerie's preparation. However, my duck breast main course was a total disappointment.

Prior to these two visits, it had been more than 10 years since we had been there. You're right, Kim. The menu has been totally overhauled and updated. At this point, I think it would be considered "modern French," with no Swiss influence that I could discern.

There is a problem with taking a Swiss person to a place that "feels like home". Switzerland is not a homogeneous country; A person from Lugano is used to different cuisine than one in Geneva, and different again from Zurich. The German side does pea soups, potatoes and cabbage. The French area likes boiled fish and wheat beer. And the single Swiss province that speaks Italian, the Ticino, likes typical Italian cuisine from Lombardia.

I don't think it's going to happen in this area.

There is a problem with taking a Swiss person to a place that "feels like home".  Switzerland is not a homogeneous country; A person from Lugano is used to different cuisine than one in Geneva, and different again from Zurich.  The German side does pea soups, potatoes and cabbage.  The French area likes boiled fish and wheat beer.  And the single Swiss province that speaks Italian, the Ticino, likes typical Italian cuisine from Lombardia.

Here's the solution:

Go to a French restaurant and sit on the east side...Your eating Swiss.

Go to a German restaurant and sit on the south side...Your eating Swiss.

Go to an Austrian restaurant and sit on the west side...Your eating Swiss.

Go to an Italian restaurant and sit on the north side...Your eating Swiss

-or-

Go to the Melting Pot... Your eating Swiss.

Edited by GoodEater (log)

GoodEater

Vivo per mangiare!

There is a problem with taking a Swiss person to a place that "feels like home".  Switzerland is not a homogeneous country; A person from Lugano is used to different cuisine than one in Geneva, and different again from Zurich.  The German side does pea soups, potatoes and cabbage.  The French area likes boiled fish and wheat beer.  And the single Swiss province that speaks Italian, the Ticino, likes typical Italian cuisine from Lombardia.

the swiss person in question calls Clifton "home". i'm sure she'll be happy with anything i choose.

thanks again to those who offered suggestions.