• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bad food habits

kimmyb72

Ahem. No...

Boy, that sounds really bad upon re-reading. I left myself WIDE OPEN on that one.

:unsure:  :blush:

Well, somebody throws one over the plate, you have to swing at it....

And at least I'll never lose my mind. I know it's always in the gutter :raz:

And back to food: I'm sitting here eating a Twix bar. I have seprated the cookie from the caramel, consumed the cookie portions, and am now trying to figure out the best way to eat the caramel/chocolate part.

I'm tempted to just ball it up and jam it into my mouth..... I'll do it.

(3 full minutes later) You never seem to realize that you need a certain amount of empty space in your mouth to be able to swallow. That was an adventure I don't recommend...

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

• 2 years later...

Bumping this thread up:

I routinely eat french fries dipped in Worcestershire sauce (hubby drizzles it over his).

I also eat the crusts of my sandwich, saving the nice center for last.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

I think either is appropriate!

I don't pick things off. However, I do have a ritual for peanut butter or ham or cheese sandwiches made on store-bought bread:

1. Nibble off the crusts.

2. Take an equal-size bite from each corner.

3. Trim the edges so the sandwich resembles a plain rectangle again.

4. Take a bite from each corner....etc.

Until the end, when all you're left with is a 1-2 bite-sized square of filling and soft bready goodness from the very middle.

I don't always do this, and it happens more frequently when I'm alone...but I'm not embarrassed by it, and would do it in public. :smile: I've been doing this as long as I can remember.

I will occasionally scoop pumpkin pie filling out of the crust then eat the crust - if I know it to be good crust.

In the psychological world, foodies and their habits (like the one above and the ones I do :) ) are probably grounds for declaring us all insane. After all isnt CREATIVITY a psychiatric disorder in the mental health world?

Wiki Creativity!

If so, Im happily a nutjob!

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

this post reminds me of how I used to eat pizza when I was little.

I'd peel off the cheese and throw it in the trash (hated cheese when I was wee)

Lick off all of the spaghetti sauce

Eat the bread part then the crust

Freakin Nasty!!!!!

When I eat soup I like to drink all the broth till it meets the noodles/veggies/goodies in soup, then proceed to eat the "solids"

Edited by SheenaGreena (log)
BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

I eat my popcorn with chopsticks, one piece at a time.

I knew a half korean girl who would do that with her potato chips in the cafeteria during middle school. I wanted to punch her, but for other reasons entirely

I like to flip my bacon with chopsticks, nothing else will do..not even a spatula

chopsticks are one of the most versatile utensils....but don't get me started on sticky rice (that deserves a whole other topic by itself)

(3 full minutes later) You never seem to realize that you need a certain amount of empty space in your mouth to be able to swallow. That was an adventure I don't recommend...

Ahemmm....back to the popsicle reply... :raz:

Now about oreos, I used to scrape out the filling and only eat the cookie part. I hated that frosting.

I always peel my bananas from the softer end, 'cause that pointy part is the handle. I never realized that was strange till someone commented on it.

Edited by prasantrin (log)

I eat my popcorn with chopsticks, one piece at a time.

They make a FORK for that

http://www.popcornfork.com/

Oh man that thing needs its own thread :cool:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Now about oreos, I used to scrape out the filling and only eat the cookie part.  I hated that frosting.

OMG, I do that too! But I usually feed the frosting to my son and he in turn gives me his cookie parts (albeit a little soggy). :blink:

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

I always peel my bananas from the softer end, 'cause that pointy part is the handle. I never realized that was strange till someone commented on it.

I do that too and I heard that that was how monkeys ate their bananas. Why the heck wouldn't you peel from the soft end anyways, I mean its a lot easier to hold the banana from the other end, right?

we don't eat it the weird way, we eat it the RIGHT way!! :raz:

sometimes I will eat an entire peanut or sunflower seed WHOLE. I mean shell and all, I am too lazy to peel and plus my dad says its good for you because of all the fiber (he eats his peanuts like this).

I do that too and I heard that that was how monkeys ate their bananas.  Why the heck wouldn't you peel from the soft end anyways, I mean its a lot easier to hold the banana from the other end, right?

we don't eat it the weird way, we eat it the RIGHT way!!  :raz:

If you haven't already read it, check out The Great Banana Revolution! Banana peeling is serious business! And we're as smart as monkeys!!! :laugh:

I also used to scrape out the inside white part of banana peels with my teeth, and eat it. I liked them. I think I mentioned that on egullet before, and I was pointed to a recipe using the inside scraped part. So it can't be a very weird thing, can it?

sometimes I will eat an entire peanut or sunflower seed WHOLE. I mean shell and all, I am too lazy to peel and plus my dad says its good for you because of all the fiber (he eats his peanuts like this).

A lot of people I know eat sunflower seeds whole (I used to, too, because I'm too lazy to spit out the shells), but peanuts???? The shell would ruin all that yummy roasted peanut flavour!! (Plus who knows where those shells have been!)

the inside of the banana peel makes the inside of my mouth dry up and pucker! I like the feeling, but i never ate it before just for fun.

eta: just read the article and it was awesome, thanks

rona & sheena - eating bananas the right way

Edited by SheenaGreena (log)

I eat the crusts of sandwiches first before eating the squishy soft parts inside.

I try not to do this in public, because I'm weird enough without adding my eating habits to mix.

When I cook noodle soup at home, I often add meatballs or fishballs. I hunt for all the meat, veggies etc, eat them and then I move onto the good part--the noodles, except that when I'm eating certain kinds of Asian noodles, it soaks up all the soup. I've discovered that this is the reason why I have to add soy sauce to my noodle soup--because fishballs and meatballs are saltier than the noodle soup itself, and by the time I finish them, my tastebuds are accustomed to more saltiness.

If I take half a dozen cookies, put them in a bowl, and sit down with them, I'll find that I can't finish them. But if I take just three, I'll go back for more.

eGers, please tell me what to do.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

Here's one that I started doing a few years ago and NOT as a child! I don't know if it's that my tastes have changed or if the pretzels are different, but I find the insides of soft pretzels too doughy so I peel off the outside and eat that and discard the insides. When I can choose the pretzel, I'll pick the one on the end of the row since that has the most 'outsides'.

Edited by JanMcBaker (log)
"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)

forgot to add, I'll eat the outside of candy bars (the hard chocolate) before eating the inside part. I will also eat baby carrots in a similar way and try to eat the outside and not the core, ending up with a perfect stick in the end.

When I seperate a banana from its bunch, quite often the peel tears at the stem end, making that the logical end to start peeling from. :hmmm:

I thought that was how you were SUPPOSED to peel a banana :huh:

When I seperate a banana from its bunch, quite often the peel tears at the stem end, making that the logical end to start peeling from. :hmmm:

I thought that was how you were SUPPOSED to peel a banana :huh:

And .... because there's sometimes a small, black hard spot on the flesh at the tip end, you can just squeeze the banana off through the peel at that point when you get to the last bite.

SB (does not necessarily believe that emulating monkeys is such a great idea :hmmm: )(matter of fact; wouldn't it be reverse-evolution? :huh:

I wouldn't start dipping things in a fine dining establishment into it, but really, french fries, take-out pizza, burgers, etc, can be pretty tasty with it.  Hmmm, maybe this makes me lowbrow...

While visiting friends in Reno we ate at a store-front pizza place. I went up to the counter to check on something (I don't remember what) and before I could open my mouth the help behind the counter blurted out "We don't have ranch dressing!" Appearantly there are a lot of people dipping their pizza these days. Not me. Not for pizza - not for fries - yes for fresh veggies.

I used to scoop up spaghetti sauce into a coffee mug right out of the pot while it was simmering just to eat the sauce like a soup.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I think either is appropriate!

I don't pick things off. However, I do have a ritual for peanut butter or ham or cheese sandwiches made on store-bought bread:

1. Nibble off the crusts.

2. Take an equal-size bite from each corner.

3. Trim the edges so the sandwich resembles a plain rectangle again.

4. Take a bite from each corner....etc.

Until the end, when all you're left with is a 1-2 bite-sized square of filling and soft bready goodness from the very middle.

I don't always do this, and it happens more frequently when I'm alone...but I'm not embarrassed by it, and would do it in public. :smile: I've been doing this as long as I can remember.

I will occasionally scoop pumpkin pie filling out of the crust then eat the crust - if I know it to be good crust.

I do something similar with pepperoni or salami sandwiches. They must be made with store-bought wheat brea, and have a thick layer of pepperoni or salami slices. I smash the sandwich between my hands until it is very thin. Then I nibble off the crust, and keep nibbling in a spiral until I only have about half left. Finally, I roll it up, and eat the rest.

I've done this for as long as I can remember, but that's not the weirdest part. My wife actually eats salami/pepperoni sandwiches the same exact way! It isn't sort of the same, it is exactly, step for step the same method, and she has also been doing it for her whole life. I tell her that means we were made for each other. What are the chances!?

Pizza.....Pepperoni Pizza......dipped in Ranch Dressing while eating it.

I think that is delicious, though I will only dip the crust (not the toppings part). My wife will dip any part of the pizza in ranch dressing, regardless of the toppings.

I think that is delicious, though I will only dip the crust (not the toppings part). My wife will dip any part of the pizza in ranch dressing, regardless of the toppings.

There's a local pizza chain in Colorado, Beau Jo's. Their specialty is Mountain Pies: thick crusted pizzas with good-sized rims. On every table is a squeeze bottle of honey, with the top trimmed to make the hole bigger. You eat the pizza, and then drizzle some honey onto the crust rim and eat that for dessert. I wish we were closer than 1700 miles.

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

My Grandson Zach, age almost-four, has adopted Ranch Dressing as his "Everything-Tastes-Better-With ...." condiment, replacing ketchup. :biggrin:

SB (at least it looks better on cottage cheese! :rolleyes: )