• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bad food habits

kimmyb72

OK, again with the Pop Tarts (aka Britneys...)

I eat the unfrosted areas first. That way, I'm left with the filling and frosting to the end.

I also (I did not do this, but watched in horror) saw someone take a whole stick of butter from the fridge, dip it in a bowl of sugar, bite off the end, chew, swallow, and repeat. The entire stick of butter. Once a day for at least the 10 days I had to be around him. Dude was 6 ft tall, and weighed maybe 200 pounds.... My arm tingled just watching him.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

When I eat Chicken Pot Pies (Marie Calendars), I flip them over into a large bowl, mix them up, and pour about 4 oz. of cold milk in it to cool it off. I then proceed to eat the carrots first because they are my least favoirte part.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Ever since I was a kid in grade school, I've made the habit of taking my spaghetti or ghoulash, and scooping it onto my garlic breaad and eat it like a sandwich.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

I chew my ice!

I also like to crunch up Frito's on my "White-trash Hot Dog." ie. An Oscar Meyer all-meat weiner, boiled, on a slice of Wonder Bread with Miracle Whip.

I also like crushed BBQ potato chips on my PB& J sandwich (Skippy Crunchy with strawberry Jelly on fluffy white bread).

Though I am 40, my taste buds haven't changed much since grade school, though I have expanded my horizons.

Edited by elswinger (log)

Growing up in a house with a mother that did not cook, a Franco-American spagetti sandwich on white bread was a good thing that a seven-year old could make themselves...yes, that was a strange delicious treat for me, too!

FFR....ice at the end of a drink? Ooooh....a huge icicle pulled off the side of the gutters at the end of a snowstorm is so much better....and has a, uh, 'bouquet' of dried leaves and rusty minerals to boot!

When I'm eating a raw carrot I like to eat the phloem off first, trying to keep the xylem intact, even though the xylem isn't usually as tasty as the phloem. I save the very end (the stem end) for my dog Margaret, who will have been intently watching me eat.

Edited by beccaboo (log)

I'm a Cheerios and banana kinda guy ... and I have to make sure I have a banana in the very last bite. I'll often eat all but one of the banana slices at the very beginning of the bowl, leaving that last slice 'til the end.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned how they eat their Oreos ... frosting first of course!

Arne

Basically I eat cereal (Frosted Flakes, Cap'n Crunch, Applejacks, Cocoa Krispies) as fast as I can and still taste it. Absolutely NO sog is allowed. -gah-

The downside, I guess, is that the roof of my mouth hangs in shreds afterwards.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

I have a friend who eats each thing all at once - he eats the green vegetable, turns his plate so the next side is in front of him, eats that, turns the plate, etc. etc.  Meat is always last.

Eating with him and watching him eat always makes me feel all itchy.

As a kid, I also ate each thing all at once (still do...sort of. I don't turn the plate though so very few ever notice that I'm doing it). I remember defending my actions to my grandfather as a five year old, "I like the taste of mashed potatoes and gravy and I don't want to ruin that with the tatse of turnips." It's still true today but I will stray now and then if the combination of flavors doesn't compete.

When I'm eating a raw carrot I like to eat the phloem off first, trying to keep the xylem intact, even though the xylem isn't usually as tasty as the phloem.  I save the very end (the stem end) for my dog Margaret, who will have been intently watching me eat.

Except for the dog part, I do the exact same thing!

When I was a kid, my parents were pretty strict about my diet (just all very healthy eating) and I was only allowed two little dry crackers for dessert (Jatz, for those who know what they are! :raz: ) and I would eat around the edges, gradually shrinking them down to the very middle, until there was nothing left. And O! how I could make those two last, savouring every last grain of cracker, salt etc! :laugh:

Hey, it worked, though! To this day I'm pretty good with healthy eating.

Oh, and I really like Vegemite: I smear it on like most people do peanut butter or Nutella! Makes my husband feel sick just watching me! :wacko:

Forget the house, forget the children. I want custody of the red and access to the port once a month.

KEVIN CHILDS.

Doesn't play well with others.

I peel off pieces of crispy skin from roasted poultry as I'm carving it for serving: Sometimes I sprinkle salt onto the skin before I pop the greasy bundles into my mouth. Heaven.

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

I used to eat the filled part of the pop-tart and throw away the dry "crusts."

think this says something about our respective personalities?  :raz:

I think it must say something. I'm a "save the best part for last" type when it comes to most foods.

What does this indicate? Willingness to delay gratification? Austerity vs. Hedonism?

Somebody help me out. Oh, when I eat my favorite sashimi assortment, I get 3 pieces each of 5 kinds of fish. On these, I eat one piece from each selection in the order that I like them, from least to most-liked. As I'm nearing the end, if I'm eating with my boyfriend, I pick up one of the pieces from my most favorite variety and I give it to him to eat.

Pretty sick, huh?

How did everyone drink slurpee's? Were you a "stir as you drink" person or a "suck furious and fast" person who left a big, dry block of ice at the bottom of their cup?

I was a stir as you go kind of guy, but my brother always sucked all of the liquid out of the cup as fast as he could until all of the flavoring was gone.

"Live every moment as if your hair were on fire" Zen Proverb

How did everyone drink slurpee's?  Were you a "stir as you drink" person or a "suck furious and fast" person who left a big, dry block of ice at the bottom of their cup?

I was a stir as you go kind of guy, but my brother always sucked all of the liquid out of the cup as fast as he could until all of the flavoring was gone.

I used the little spoon thingie at the end of the straw. Eating with it made the slurpee last longer. But sometimes I'd just HAVE to suck it dry! Brain freeze!!!

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Oh, definitely stir & slurp. I had a friend who'd usually let half of hers melt because she drank it so slow. My favorite was a "smurf" slurpee: Pina Colada (white) on the bottom, Blue Raspberry (blue) in the middle, and more Pina Colada on top.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

I was a fast-and-furious Slurpee drinker - though slow enough to avoid ice cream headaches most of the time.

I also routinely sucked the 'juice' from popsicles, etc. YUM. Still do sometimes.

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

And they were oysters two.

Two oysters met two oysters

And they were oysters too.

Four oysters met a pint of milk

And they were oyster stew.

Now Icee (the red and blue cup with a polar bear, the one you would buy at Woolworths or Kmart) was a different story. I would stir that one until the end of the day and I would still slurp all of the juice out of the ice.

"Live every moment as if your hair were on fire" Zen Proverb

I never liked french fries with ketchup. French fries had to be served with mayo, blue cheese dressing, or (the best) old bay seasoning and malt vinegar. Then again, I also like old bay and vinegar on cheesesteaks...

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

FistFullaRoux Posted Today, 11:49 AM

QUOTE(Knicke @ Sep 22 2004, 03:37 PM)

I was a fast-and-furious Slurpee drinker - though slow enough to avoid ice cream headaches most of the time.

I also routinely sucked the 'juice' from popsicles, etc. YUM. Still do sometimes.

You married?

Ahem. No...

Boy, that sounds really bad upon re-reading. I left myself WIDE OPEN on that one.

:unsure::blush:

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

And they were oysters two.

Two oysters met two oysters

And they were oysters too.

Four oysters met a pint of milk

And they were oyster stew.