• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bad food habits

kimmyb72

I used to scoop up spaghetti sauce into a coffee mug right out of the pot while it was simmering just to eat the sauce like a soup.

When we make pizza sauce, my kid eats huge spoonfuls of the tomato paste straight as it comes from the can.

I 'paint' toast with one or two bites worth of jelly / honey / whathaveyou at a time.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

When I seperate a banana from its bunch, quite often the peel tears at the stem end, making that the logical end to start peeling from. :hmmm:

I thought that was how you were SUPPOSED to peel a banana :huh:

And .... because there's sometimes a small, black hard spot on the flesh at the tip end, you can just squeeze the banana off through the peel at that point when you get to the last bite.

SB (does not necessarily believe that emulating monkeys is such a great idea :hmmm: )(matter of fact; wouldn't it be reverse-evolution? :huh:

Isn't that how you peel a banana?

Pizza.....Pepperoni Pizza......dipped in Ranch Dressing while eating it.

I think that is delicious, though I will only dip the crust (not the toppings part). My wife will dip any part of the pizza in ranch dressing, regardless of the toppings.

There's a local pizza chain in Colorado, Beau Jo's. Their specialty is Mountain Pies: thick crusted pizzas with good-sized rims. On every table is a squeeze bottle of honey, with the top trimmed to make the hole bigger. You eat the pizza, and then drizzle some honey onto the crust rim and eat that for dessert. I wish we were closer than 1700 miles.

MelissaH

When I bought pizza for my not-so-little ('cause the little bugger tops me by several heads) brother yesterday, he told me the crust was the best part. So I said I'd make pizza bread (ie pizza without toppings) for him this weekend.

I'll have to try this.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

When eating a hot dog, I find it to be too bready, so I pinch the bottom of the bun off, leaving a handy pair of "bread stripes' to hold my dog with. This works on any kind, anywhere, any kind of roll, with any topping except chili. The meatiness of the chili brings the bread back in proportion, and you NEED the extra bread. Plus I prefer to eat those with a fork, anyway. (because if I'm gonna have a chili dog, that baby is gonna be smothered! Chili, cheese, diced onions, jalapenos, mustard).

If I'm really hungry, or if it's a very good bun, I'll go back and eat the doggy flavored bread bits that I pinched off, after I'm done with the dog.

When eating a hot dog, I find it to be too bready, so I pinch the bottom of the bun off, leaving a handy pair of "bread stripes' to hold my dog with. 

I used to do something like that when I was younger, but I would slice off part of the top rather than the bottom. The bottom was necessary for holding the bun together! I don't do that anymore, but I do slice by hot dog in half lengthwise and flatten in out. That way I get no topping overflow (I hate it when my hot dog leaks) and a good topping:hot dog:bun ratio.

I used to go to the bakery as a kid ..buy a huge italian roll for like a 5 cents ..on the way home poke a tiny hole in the crust and use my fingers to wedge all the guts out ..buy the time I got home I had a perfectly hollow cruse with a hole in it..so I took mustartd and poured it in there ..squished it flat and ate that!

ok I still do this when I need nurturing

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

my mom got me hooked on sliced banana with powdered tang sprinkled on top and I recently revived the practice using orange gatorade powder, or better yet, Crystal Lite.

my summertime favorite is frozen green grapes , kind of like miniature sorbets..

Like every other kid I made my own' Double Oreos ' by taking two regular ones apart and reforming them.. Then they came out with 'Oreos with Double stuff ' and when you doubled up one of those bad boys you REALLY had the ultimate...

Ill readily admit to dousing microwave popcorn with hot sauce, as well as taking a bottle of it with me to a theater on occasion ( along with a flask of rum, but thats another story) those popcorn tongs are on my must have list .... in fact Im pretty sure theyre going to be this years" humorous yet strangely usefull " Christmas gift following on the heels of the Clapper, the Ginsu Knife and the Chia pet Herb Garden..

The ranch dressing stories remnd me of a childhood memory : cuttng an avocado in half and filling the seed cavity with ranch dressing.. come to think of it, that might go down pretty well in a steakhouse... especially if the avocado had been grilled for a few seconds .. hmmmm. but I digress once again..

Another childhood food fetish was to put about 5 or 6 HEAPING spoons of nestles Quick chocolate powder in a glass and add just enough milk to make a nice thick paste and then spoon it all down like a liquid chocolate bar, Mom finally caught on to this and replaced Nestles Quick with Ovaltine.. but it just wasnt the same..

and back in the Day, when Buttermilk was still nice and thick and " Chunky " I would regularly top a glass of it with lemon pepper, sometimes id even re-top it halfway through the glass.

My only odd beveage lately is tomato juice topped with whipped cream and a sprinkle of celery salt.

" No, Starvin' Marvin ! Thats MY turkey pot pie "

- Cartman

I so love frozen grapes. Mmmmmmm.

Ever tried sugary iced tea (from the powdered mix, preferably Our Own, Tetley or 4C brands) in place of milk in cereal? I did this a lot when I was a young one.

As far as the odd thing I do with my food:

I switch hands. With the silverware. I don't know why I do this. I don't remember ever NOT doing it, and I don't have a readily accessible memory of the first time I tried it, either. To some who have grown close enough to me to feel comfortable pointing it out, it's "the weirdest thing!" I'll have my fork in my left, knife in my right, then I'll switch and eat the other way for a little while, then switch back. It's involuntary at this point.

Each effort I make to override/unlearn this deep-seated habit, I abandon straightaway. The only plausible explanation, to me, is that it's a vestige from my childhood as a picky eater. An adaptive behavior that made me LOOK like I'm eating. And now I can't stop it. (At least I've learned to love food.) :blink:

"What was good enough yesterday may not be good enough today." - Thomas Keller

my mom got me hooked on sliced banana with powdered tang sprinkled on top and I recently revived the practice using orange gatorade powder, or better yet, Crystal Lite.

That totally reminded me of a weird habit I had when I was a kid. My mom wouldn't let me have candy, or keep sugary sweets in the house, so I (like any enterprising sugar-junkie child) made do. I would eat jello powder straight from the packet, with a wet finger, or instant sweetened iced tea powder. I would pour a tablespoon or two in a bowl, and secret it off to my room, where I would lay on my tummy reading, and dabbing up the sugar powder. A few tablespoons would last me all afternoon, and it was a great sugar fix. Come to think of it...I did this right up till I moved out on my own. Lost the taste for all that sugar, I guess.

hmm... when I eat cereal, I push all my cereal to one side of the bowl, and pour a little milk into the other side (holding it at an angle to reduce cereal/milk contact) and push the cereal into the milk one bite portion at a time. Only adding more milk if it gets too shallow or warm.

I hate soggy warm cereal.

I used to go to the bakery as a kid ..buy a huge italian roll for like a 5 cents ..on the way home poke a tiny hole in the crust and use my fingers to wedge all the guts out ..buy the time I got home I had a perfectly hollow cruse with a hole in it..so I took mustartd and poured it in there ..squished it flat and ate that!

ok I still do this when I need nurturing

haha! OMG I used to do this exact same thing with the rolls we got in our high school cafeteria. Also dipped the soft goodness into Ranch dressing.

• 1 month later...

a really pronounced weird food habit i have is probably eating pickles after ice cream. i think it's just that i'm not used to eating so much of a sweet food (though i can't eat more than a cup or so of ice cream anyway), so i "balance" it with the pickles... of course, everyone outside of my family likes to comment about my "pregnant" eating habit.

a lot of eating outsides of things on this board... something i'll do is eat those ferrero rocher chocolates from the outside in; first the chocolate and nut coating, then pull the two halves of wafer shell, hopefully so that the chocolate and hazelnut filling stays in one side, and try to eat as much wafer alone as possible. actually, not unlike what the picture on wikipedia looks like. :smile:

not really weird, but something people also like making fun of is my obsessive-compulsive behavior of spreading things evenly to the edges of the bread. i impulsively will sit and spread things to the edges without thinking about it. i'll also rearrange sandwiches sometimes, to make the ingredients more evenly spread across (i can't stand uneven sandwiches!)

and responses...

I prefer broccoli stems.

In fact, I prefer gai lan, Chinese broccoli.

i couldn't agree more!

hmm... when I eat cereal, I push all my cereal to one side of the bowl, and pour a little milk into the other side (holding it at an angle to reduce cereal/milk contact) and push the cereal into the milk one bite portion at a time.  Only adding more milk if it gets too shallow or warm.

I hate soggy warm cereal.

to combat this, i just pour the milk in before the cereal, and eat as quickly as possible... then the least cereal touches milk. i've also found that eating cereals like kashi golean (aka with fiber) will result in less sogginess.

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

oh yeah...

I always peel my bananas from the softer end, 'cause that pointy part is the handle. I never realized that was strange till someone commented on it.

I do that too and I heard that that was how monkeys ate their bananas. Why the heck wouldn't you peel from the soft end anyways, I mean its a lot easier to hold the banana from the other end, right?

we don't eat it the weird way, we eat it the RIGHT way!! :raz:

sometimes I will eat an entire peanut or sunflower seed WHOLE. I mean shell and all, I am too lazy to peel and plus my dad says its good for you because of all the fiber (he eats his peanuts like this).

me too!!!! actually, i randomly came across an article by an economics professor from my alma mater here that talks about peeling bananas. though to be honest, i kind of think the guy is a little bit out of touch with reality at times (as seen by his infamous, economics-theory-based "more sex is safer sex" argument

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

eG Ethics Signatory

I prefer broccoli stems.

In fact, I prefer gai lan, Chinese broccoli.

i couldn't agree more!

Me too!

My aunt and uncle always says that they'll take the stems and I'll take the florets--because I'm the little princess--and I don't get it because I think the stems are the good parts.

:hmmm: This must mean that most of the general population thinks that the florets are the good parts. :unsure:

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

:hmmm: This must mean that most of the general population thinks that the florets are the good parts. :unsure:

whatever, they can keep their florets and give us all the stems in the world!

and sorry guys, i didn't realize (i admit it, i skimmed) that someone already posted that banana article! :shock:

eG Ethics Signatory