• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGullet Outing at Corduroy

mdt

fero style's wonderful hurma.

Thank you all for eating at Corduroy Tuesday evening. You were a fun group to cook for. The 2 dishes I was most nervous about serving, scallop tartare and the pork belly, seem to have been the biggest hits of the dinner. A lot of people must have read your posts today because tonight was a pork belly record setting night.

It was a pleasure to cook for a group that enjoys food so much.

How about Pork Belly sitting on a pool of scallop tartare  :wacko:

Put quotes around it on the menu and it becomes a playful take on the traditional bacon wrapped scallops.

Or a cliche, depends on your point of view.

But I bet it tastes good either way.

Bill Russell

I dunno, the pork belly was in this really great, rich sauce (demi glace?) that I don't think would play nice with the scallops. I'm sure it could be made to work with pork confit, just not with the two literal dishes we had the other night, incredible as they were on their own (though I swore my scallop-allegiance to the roasted scallop in chardonnay sauce).

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

Why some engineers should not become pastry chefs:

I was discussing the three chocolate desserts with Mr. mktye on Saturday morning and he said his favorite was the one with the "Jersey-barriers".

gallery_5101_263_1098278095.jpg

Then he went on to say that he thought it should be plated with the Jersey-barriers placed parallel to each other with a dark chocolate sauce asphalt running between them and some ice-cream boulders piled up off to one side. I told him I'd heard enough when he started talking about stripes for the asphalt... :rolleyes::laugh:

This dinner was our first time out with eGullet and our first time at Corduroy, too. What a treat! We already have reservations for a dinner with friends who've never had a meal there -- can't wait to share the joy!

The scallop tartare and pork belly dishes were supreme; I am both surprised and delighted that Chef Power "took a risk" and served us these dishes. And the warm chocolate gateau with ice cream was pure comfort food.

Itadakimasu!

The knife is mightier than the pen.