• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGullet Outing at Corduroy

mdt

I am working on the menu... Does anyone (vegetarians excluded) planing to attend the dinner have any ingredient that will make them not attend?

This is a very generous offer from the chef so early on in the planning process. In the past we have asked the eG'er with an allergy to contact the chef directly once those picky issues like date and time have been worked out. Otherwise we could be working around someone who doesn't even join us!

That being said, we do have somewhat of a tradition of deviled eggs at our events :wink:

Edited by hillvalley (log)

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

I am working on the menu... Does anyone (vegetarians excluded) planing to attend the dinner have any ingredient that will make them not attend?

Tom,

What a generous offer! I don't eat seafood. I know, its unthinkable. I can't help it. I've tried and tried. If it means skipping an appetizer, I'll still come. But if it is the main dish then I'll have to visit you without the eG crowd.

Many thanks for doing this dinner and the chat.

That being said, we do have somewhat of a tradition of deviled eggs at our events :wink:

I'll remind Tom about his deviled egg fantasy from his chat:

Hmmm, Deviled Eggs? Where are the soft balls that Rocks promised me when I agreed to do this? Just to get off the spot I'll use chervil mayonaise and vidalia onion confit (cooked in the same fat that I use for confiting chicken legs) The more I think about it the more I want to fold in some really frothy egg whites to lighten it up. I am very excited about the organic eggs I buy from Sunnyside Farm in Virginia. They make everything better.

:biggrin:

A date has not been set yet as I am going to wait a couple more days for votes to come in. If any of you are waiting to vote on dates based on the menu, please let me know. I want to make sure that we can get a good crowd for this event.

I will post the menu as soon as we have it finalized. Let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Wearing jeans to the best restaurants in town.

Monday 18th or Tues 19th best for me

(Sundays are usually good for me, as that's my day off, but the 17th I have a school commitment. Wed 20th also booked already for family birthday celebration)

My stomach is growling, just thinking about what might be on the menu... :biggrin:

I like to cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food.

The votes have been counted and recounted and I have verified things with Chef Power.

The date for the Corduroy dinner is Tuesday October 19th at 7:30pm.

I am NOT going to assume that you are in just becuase you voted for that date. Please PM or post here to let me know if you are going to come.

We are still working on the menu, but we should get things posted here shortly.

We will be using the PayPal prepay system once gain so use the EMAIL button or PM me your email address so that I can send you the 'invoice'.

EDITED: We will know the cost when we get the menu.

Edited by mdt (log)

Do we know yet what the final cost will be? I would love to go to this (actually had a tiny little plate at Corduroy last week, and would LOVE to see what else the very affable Tom Power is up to in his kitchen), but unfortunately don't think i can commit without the $$ commitment....

Do we know yet what the final cost will be?  I would love to go to this (actually had a tiny little plate at Corduroy last week, and would LOVE to see what else the very affable Tom Power is up to in his kitchen), but unfortunately don't think i can commit without the $$ commitment....

Still finalizing the menu and cost. We should have things posted here very soon...

Do we know yet what the final cost will be?  I would love to go to this (actually had a tiny little plate at Corduroy last week, and would LOVE to see what else the very affable Tom Power is up to in his kitchen), but unfortunately don't think i can commit without the $$ commitment....

Sorry for the delay - it's all my fault. I just sent the menu to mdt a few minutes ago. I am sure mdt will post the menu very soon. There will be fun passed small bites and then 5 courses paired with wines. I am looking foward to the dinner.

Here is the long awaited menu for the eGDC dinner at Corduroy. Let me be the first to say that the menu looks great and I cannot wait for this event!

The price is inclusive of all tax and tip. We will require pre-payment before the event. Please let me know which option you want when you PM or email me your RSVP. (Don't forget to include your email address.)

Dinner with wine pairing -- $88

Dinner only -- $60

Menu for eGDC Dinner at Corduroy on Tuesday, October 19th at 7:30pm

Various passed hors devourers

Pierre Moncuit, Champagne, Blanc de Blanc, NV

First Course

Seared Barnegat Light Sea Scallop, Shiitake Mushroom and Chardonnay Sauce

Macon-Pierreclos, Guffens-Heynen, 00

Second Course

Confit of Eberely Farm Chicken with Savoy Cabbage

R. Stuart, Pinot Noir, Temperance Hill Vineyard, Oregon, 02

Third Course

Peppered Rare Tuna, Sushi Rice and Hijiki

Perrin, Rasteau, 00

Fourth Course

Niman Ranch Pork and Beans for 1/2 of the table

New Frontier Bison Striploin with Root Vegetables for the other 1/2 of the table

Corison , Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa 96 or

Chateau Sociando-Mallet, Haut Medoc, 98

Dessert

3 Chocolate Desserts

Ponsal de Calas, Capcanes, Spain, 99

Chef Power has been gracious enough that he will provide a replacement for anyone that cannot eat a served dish. He cannot promise that the new course will work as well with the wine or flow of the menu, but I cannot see anyone complaining about this. Please let me know which course you would like replaced and if needed, why. I will relay this information to him before the dinner.

So far we have...

mdt

hillvalley

Chef Shogun

cjsadler

Gary Tanigawa

mnebergall

simdelish

tomdc

Tweaked

laniloa

giuinha +2

ereidy

If you said yes before I still need to know if you would like the wine pairing.

Edited by mdt (log)

Bumping this to the top to remind everyone that the event is coming up. I need to get the PayPal stuff out early next week so that I can get a count to Chef Power.

Updated list of attendees:

mdt +2

hillvalley

Chef Shogun

cjsadler

Gary Tanigawa

mnebergall

simdelish

tomdc

Tweaked

laniloa

giuinha +2

ereidy

mktye +1

iamthestretch +1

edemuth

Edited by mdt (log)

Everyone,

I have just sent out PayPal payment requests to everyone that has responded to me with their email address. Please let me know if you did not receive an 'invoice' or received one for the wrong amount.

Right now we stand at 23 people attending, but its NOT to late to join us if you are still interested.

Have a great weekend!

Unfortunately, Mrs JPW, Peanut and I cannot attend the event. A long dinner like this is a little too much to ask for Peanut.

On the plus side, we decided that, since we had free babysitters last night, we needed to try Corduroy for the first time. Oh my.

If you're not converts yet, you will be.

For more, see the Corduroy thread.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Two questions: So, what's the plan, and what's the dress code? I'm probably going to stay in the area (Foggy Bottom, but that's flexible) after work rather than go home, so anybody want to do anything beforehand?

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog